Exhaust size! What gives?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to a friends muffler shop the other day to install my new 3" borla and remove the cats. At first everything was going as expected then my friend(owns the shop) noticed the exhaust pipe was smaller than what he was used to on vipers.

The pipe was 2.5 inch up to the muffler and then went smaller to the rear of the car, it seemed to be 2.25 maybe 2 3/8. This is on a 99 RT and from what I understand all vipers are supposed to have 2.5 inch all the way. This shop has done many vipers however most seem to be pre 96, and he even had some of their stock exausts in the back and yes they all were 2.5 inch.

Needless to say after the car was done with its new straight pipe instead of cats and the borla 3" all the way to the back the car feels and sounds amazing. Power feels incredible, where the car would drop off before at about 4500-5000 now it pulls strong to 5500 and then some. And the roar at higher engine speeds is finaly what a viper needs to sound like.

Next is smooth tubes and K&N's, which should be in next week. And then dyno time.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Stock rear exit exhaust is 2&1/2" up to the resonator in the side sill, then 2&1/4" from there back.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Is there a technical reason for the smaller size post resonator, or is it financial?</FONT f>