Feds Probe Viper Suspension Problem

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By reading the story it seems like this is only a Gen 3 problem, is the Gen 4 arm different?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4 arm does not appear to be different just by looking at it...I'd be very surprised if it was.

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4 arm does not appear to be different just by looking at it...I'd be very surprised if it was.

Thats what I was thinking but the Gen 4 years aren't included in the investigation for some reason???

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe we discussed this issue at length in a thread recently. I think that there were even photos included in some of the posts. One theory was that some techs had used a hammer in such a manner as to possibly crack or weaken the metal while servicing the vehicle. With all the modded Gen IIIs on the road and so few events reported, I would be surprised if it is a defective part.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bs crap- funny how they never break in heavy race conditions on the track- looks to me like 2 clowns lost control, hit the ditch, and blame the car for a part breaking-

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bs crap- funny how they never break in heavy race conditions on the track- looks to me like 2 clowns lost control, hit the ditch, and blame the car for a part breaking-
I am going to use this if I wreck. People are starting to see throught the "deer came out of nowhere" excuse. ;)

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it is the same part as used on teh Gen 5 as well, it's just reversed.

I know a number of race cars had the problem but race cars are run at the extreme and you never know what a race part has undergone vs the stress a street part undergoes.

The positive thing is that if there is a problem, then we wil find out and if there is no problem, we will find out. It's a win win!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have you ever seen one break just driveing down the race track, or did the the car run off the track,smack someting and then break? iv seen some break after impact to the wheel, and thats a good thing

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have you ever seen one break just driveing down the race track, or did the the car run off the track,smack someting and then break? iv seen some break after impact to the wheel, and thats a good thing

I thin Steve911 posted some pics from a comp coupe that had the issue but was saved by a bracket that kept him on the track. I bet if one starts researching the origin of said bracket, one will find a few more occurances...

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By reading the story it seems like this is only a Gen 3 problem, is the Gen 4 arm different?
Probly the reason they are only considering the gen 3 as the problem is because the 2 cars that started investigation were gen 3 not gen 4

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been brought up several times.
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/665186-05-and-06-possible-recall-coming

There is no doubt that the rear knuckle is basically made out of glass. Unfortunately I have broken several....:crazy2:

I can say from personal experience, any impact to the rear wheel/axle will will damage the knuckle. It's that simple.....:dunno:

For the last year or so, I have been using a bracket that braces the the knuckle's "wing" to the main hub. It is similar to SO's but thicker and a little bigger.
NO PROBLEMS SO FAR...

Mine was built by the fabricator that built my roll cage.

( Sorry for the dirty suspension photos....)
You must be registered for see images attach

So you've never run over a tall or rough rumble strip on track? How about a curb...????

That's all it takes....

BTW....Bet your car ins. is really cheap. Especially since you've never had an accident, fender bender or any type of
automotive mishap...;)

But seriously, this IS a problem. It would be great if we could say that we won't hit anything. Truth of the matter is, the more you drive, the risk of a problem increases...

and
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/660606-Rear-wheel-breaks-off

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've raced at many tracks and have never hit a huge *** hole. (on track)

Race cars are subject to certain stresses but street cars are abused in ways no race car ever will see.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rear suspension defect
Has anyone heard of any issues, or incidents from a defect in the rear suspension? Preliminary report from collision center says left rear knuckle has a clean break (no pics yet).
Wife and I getting on interstate, my kids where following right behind; no other traffic fortuneately. Definately not getting on it. Driving about 45. Next I know it fealt like I was rear ended, car took a very hard left into the concrete embankment.
Doing 45 when this broke. Never been on a track.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang