FInished with my calipers

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally got done re-finishing my calipers. The previous owner had painted them and they either didn't hold up or the prep work wasn't very good because the old paint was starting to flake pretty badly in places. Stripping all that old paint off and getting the surface prepped was a mess.

I was bored and decided to clean up the car and that turned into a lot of other things, but at least one of them is done now. :)

I wanted to do something a little different, and while the color isn't exactly what I was looking for, it was a close I could get in high-temp paint. I wanted to stay with red, but give it deeper look with some metallic. This is "Fire Engine Red Metallic" engine paint and it's actually rated to higher temp than caliper paint, so hopefully it is up to the task. They do look a little copper in person, but not a much as they do in the pics with the flash on them.

I figure I'll leave it on there for the year and see how it holds up. If it lasts all year without any chipping issues, I might change the color next year and try something different again. It should be much easier since I'll just scuff the current paint and go over it instead of having to strip them again.

I wanted to give something a little different a shot and I'm pretty happy overall with how they turned out. You guys with blue, green, yellow, etc cars have it easy. You can just match your calipers to your car and it looks great. :)

Attachments

• New Calipers 1.jpg
    New Calipers 1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 96
  • New Calipers 2.jpg
    New Calipers 2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I ordered the Viper decals from vinyldecals.com. I had gotten them from xenonmods.com in the past, but they apparently don't ship anything that you buy anymore. Stay away from them. It *****, because the ones from them were better quality in my opinion and I had them on my car for a couple of years with no clear-coat over them and they held up perfectly. The ones I just got look fine, but I would not trust them to stay on without clearing over them.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great, really smooth finish (color is not bad either) :2tu:Glad you didn't paint the e-brake calipers ... no need to draw attention to them anyway.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great, really smooth finish (color is not bad either) :2tu:Glad you didn't paint the e-brake calipers ... no need to draw attention to them anyway.

I didn't paint the e-brake calipers either--too lazy... :D But, I think you are right Slithr and glad I didn't bother.