First month of ownership.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I've had it for about a month now so I'll give you my first impressions.

I picked up a '96 RT/10, white with blue stripes about a month ago and drove it half way across the country to bring it home. For the first couple hours driving it home, I could hardly get over the excitement, despite some nervousness handing over the check. I settled into the car quickly and enjoyed every minute of the drive home. I knew I was in for a new experience when 3 different people on the highway sped up after I passed them to take pictures of the car with their cell phone cameras.

Once I got it home, I worked every night after work to get the car into the condition it deserved. I had already bought every product that Zaino has and used them all on the car. It came out beautiful! Then a fresh oil change (Mobil 1), and new tires, the ones on there were from 1998. New floor mats custom made by US Speed and a new stereo system and I was ready to drive.

On the first couple drives I found that this is the most comfortable car I've owned. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging that I'm rich or something, far from it. I'm a working class guy who has busted his butt to afford a couple nice things in life while still saving for retirement. Anyway, I've also owned two Hummers. H2 was sold to buy the Viper, and I still own my H3. Both are far more civilized, a term rarely used to describe any Hummer, more comfortable to sit in, have a more comfortable ride, are quieter, and are far better appointed in the luxuries found in high dollar cars. The Viper however still wins out. It fits like a glove, despite the fact I'm 6'4", shifts smooth as butter, and puts a grin on your face as you drive that you just can't get rid of.

I heard a lot of complaints of cooking yourself in the car from the heat off the engine. Maybe I'm used to the heat of Arizona, but that has not yet been a problem. It was 97 degrees today, yeah 97 in the middle of March, and I took it out for a few errands and a little joy ride out of town. Top off, back window out (I'm trying to find some replacement rubber for it), and windows off. Never cooked in there, but I did turn on the A/C a couple times when I was stuck at traffic lights. The water temperature does get a bit too high, I've tried the burping techniques several times but I have it scheduled to get flushed next week, I hope that helps. It gets close to the red zone but never hits it.

Things I've learned in the first month:

Don't do anything in your car while driving or sitting at lights that you don't want people to see you do, everyone is looking.

It takes a lot longer to fill the tank at the gas station because you are sure to get at least 3 people coming over to look at your car and ask you how fast it goes and how much it costs.

Everything about this car is expensive. Tires, floormats, service, gas, even a stereo is more expensive because they figure you can afford it.

I don't get as much sleep because I spend too much time in the garage.

Corvette people don't like Vipers to park next to them or pull up next to them at traffic lights because nobody looks at their car.

And finally, all of the above is worth it.

I've learned a lot searching this site. Fixed a sagging door, learned how to purge the cooling system, got some great ideas how to replace the rubber on the back window (still working on that one), and found some great vendors and suppliers. Thanks for all of that.

Pictures coming soon, I just haven't got around to that.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard and great colour choice(dont tell Chad i said that).....
Every day just got exciting..

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats.... just make sure "don't floor it when wheels are not straight". Enjoy. Now wash and polish that car.
:needpics:

OP
OP
F

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, as much as I hate garage pics, here's one. I'm hoping to take some pictures this weekend if I take it on a long drive. It's supposed to cool down to about 92 degrees tomorrow so it should be perfect driving weather.

OP
OP
F

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oops, try again.
IMG_4424.jpg

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome to the addiction. Nice to see another AZ owner, we should meet up sometime and go for a cruise.

Nice Gixxer 600.

Rob

OP
OP
F

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. I've still got some issues I want to finish before taking the car out much, I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Still a little worried about the cooling system, I'm hoping the flush next week will help. Couple of little clean-up items too and I'm thinking about some glass windows, just not sure about spending the $$$.

The Gixxer is lonely. Poor thing hasn't had much ride time lately and is another toy that tends to just sit. I'm contemplating selling it but I'm worried that I'll regret it if I do. Besides, first order of business right now is getting rid of my boat, another toy that doesn't get used enough and it's time to sell it. Between the cars, motorcycle, boat, and bikes (Bicycles), I need to trim the budget and realize I have too many hobbies and not enough time or money to support them all. Like I said before, I am by no means rich, but you'd never guess by looking in my driveway and garage. At least they are all paid for, but I have the savings account of a 16 year old :bonker:

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up. Some parts, however, are not that expensive for the Viper. Compared to some exotics, the parts can be quite cheap. Spark plugs are a bargain, for example. Buck fifty.

I totally agree with the Corvette comment and laugh at the "get the car up to your standards" comment. I am sure that we all do that to some degree. We baby the car at first and when we take her out after the long winters nap.

OP
OP
F

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap some parts are, and even more surprised at how easy these cars are to work on. Last weekend I went over to a buddy's house to show him the car. He just bought a Ferarri 355 F1. Absolutely beautiful car, but when he told me about the maintenance costs, parts prices, and showed me under the hood I realized how good I have it. I'm telling you that really stopped traffic when we had both of them parked outside.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to Viper nation!

It may sound weird, but your life will change in some ways that may take a while to become apparent.

Now, to have some REAL fun, sign up for the Viper Days event nearest you and learn how to really drive the car, safely AND fast.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your new ride!! As said before, it is good to have another Viper in Az. If you are expecting the temp gauge to show like other cars, you will be disappointed. These cars run hotter, especially in Az. in the summer. Get yourself a factory repair manual and read up on what Dodge considers "normal" for a Viper during the summer months. It took me a bit of getting used to, but now I am more comfortable with the temps. Mine has never overheated or "puked", even with the a/c on in traffic. If it gets too hot with the a/c on,(mine at least) the computer will shut the a/c off until the engine cools down.....Doc

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having had my car only since October, and it being in the garage since then most of the time, the one thing I've noticed is that I enjoy walking back up to the car in a parking lot just about as much as I enjoy driving it. It's hard to fight the "chesire cat smile" that wants to overcome me everytime I walk back up to it and get inside. It's lines are amazing. They make up want to pull up a chair and just stair at it for a while. Definately the car for me.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the colour for me..........
I still go out to the garage just to make sure i do have one.........

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice post and congrats on your white/blue RT/10. The harder you work to get a dream car the more you appreciate it. I bet your coworkers and boss treat you differently now as do mine? Love that color combo combined with open air driving! :2tu:

Just A Dream

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well first off welcome .Second it's an awsome car and a lot of fun to drive.Third out of any other car club these guy's are the best for any info you should need or just like one big family they are always there and if the guy's in your club are anything like the ny/ct club you will always have a smile on your face and always agood time. Enjoy :2tu:

Russ

OP
OP
F

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, hard work makes me appreciate it more, and it took a bit of hard work to realize a four year dream. I've been working on a project at work for the last four months. It was 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. That's 112 hours a week for the last four months. I took two days off to go get the car. The overtime paid for it. The project is over now, but the last couple weeks killed me knowing that the car was sitting in my garage waiting to be driven. Now I'm back on a somewhat normal schedule but trying to make up for lost time with the family so I don't spend as much time playing with the new toy as I would like. It's all worth it though, and I have a very understanding family.

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you need a great mechanic, Eddie Martin at Bill Luke Dodge is the best Viper tech in the area. Very knowledgeable and a fellow Viper owner too. Congrats on the car.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, yeah...Eddie...the same Eddie who yanked my autoshutdown relay at a ViperDays event last year when I wasn't looking. All strapped in my car ready to start my track session. No starty!

Not sure I ever fully retaliated on that one...

Yeah, Eddie's the man. He has proven beyond doubt that he knows where the fuse/relay box is :curse:

If you need a great mechanic, Eddie Martin at Bill Luke Dodge is the best Viper tech in the area. Very knowledgeable and a fellow Viper owner too. Congrats on the car.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White with Blue stripes is probably one of the raciest color schemes and white wheels top it off. Great looking car. Enjoy. Get use to the people and kids that admire it and almost the same number of people that are envious and jealous of it. This car pulls emotions in both directions wherever it goes. Best of luck.

OP
OP
F

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great comments. I plan to take some better pictures soon, hopefully this weekend.

Couple of other things I noticed. These cars are not really that expensive. Let's face it, most of them can be had used with low mileage for under 50k, and people drop that on a car or truck every day. Even the H3 I still have cost more than the Viper cost me but most people are under the impression that I'm driving an 80k car. Yeah, they're expensive new, but not really any more than a Z06, Porche, BMW, Mercedes... and yet you see them on the road and don't give them a second look. Unique factor I guess.

Also, when I started looking for my car I was thinking I'd buy one, drive it a little bit on the weekends, keep it for a couple months and get it out of my system, then sell it. Heck, if you get one at the right price you don't lose any money. When I was looking, I read about a million posts on this site and others to get a better idea of what I wanted. No offense, but I thought you guys were a little bit out there, obsessive, and a little crazy to drive these things as much as you do. Well, I guess I'm out there now too, I love driving that thing, think about it all the time trying to decide what I want to do next, and yeah, I've even put a couple coats of wax on it at 2am...more than once. It's a sickness I think. My wife gave up her spot in the garage because I told her I would only have it for 6 months or so, now I have to break the bad news to her, I'm not getting rid of it for quite a while.

OK, I'm going to therapy now. If you need me I'll be in the garage. It's almost midnight and I have to get up for work at 5:30 but I'm sure I can find something to do before I go to bed.

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, yeah...Eddie...the same Eddie who yanked my autoshutdown relay at a ViperDays event last year when I wasn't looking. All strapped in my car ready to start my track session. No starty!

Not sure I ever fully retaliated on that one...

Yeah, Eddie's the man. He has proven beyond doubt that he knows where the fuse/relay box is

Wow, don't know what to say on that one. Are you sure it was Eddie?

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to have to defend Eddie on this one. He has taken care of my last four vipers...every problem he has fixed to perfection and he has even lent me his truck while he was working on my car. I have 55,000 miles on my current '03 and I have tracked it, raced it, and driven it across most of the U.S. and any mechanical issue I had with the car, he fixed the first time.