First time Viper owner, 99 RT-10

ZoaFan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Purchased a 1999 silver with black Viper RT-10 on Thanksgiving day, she has 42k miles on her. I purchased it from a family friend who was the second owner, he traded his Z06 for it and in the year he owned it he barely drove it.

Carbon fiber interior package
Both hard and soft top
Paxton Supercharger
Has large red brake calipers all around, was this an upgrade? I couldn't find any info on it but it doesn't appear to be stock brakes.

Car is currently with Dan Cragin at SPT getting a thorough inspection. Car drives great, stops great but had a few issues Dan is looking at:
AC Cmpressor doesn't kick on, I believe it is low on Freon as it has been sitting
Supercharger belt whine, again I believe it is due to sitting
Had aftermarket plug wires, previous owner took it to a normal Dodge dealership for maintenance

Paint is in great condition same with the interior, couple trim pieces have bubbled but I'll replace those.

Looking forward to joining the community :usa:

Last edited:

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world of Viper ownership. I think you picked the greatest Gen, and a great year too.

Sounds like you got a great car, and Dan will do it right... If there's any questions, issues, etc. please post around and someone will help out...

Welcome!!
Greg

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when you get it back pictures please of the car and the motor set up. What a great present to yourself
:2tu:

OP
OP
Z

ZoaFan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, got the report back from Dan.

Hi Jamie,

I looked the whole car over an drove it. It seems mechanically sound and runs well. It appears the engine has been apart at some point, not sure why. The car does need a little love and a few repairs.

The belt noise is caused by engine oil getting on the belts, the supercharger front seal is leaking and throwing oil onto drive system. The supercharger needs to go out for repair, both oil saturated belts need to be replaced and everything cleaned up. It could be that one of the tensioners needs replacing but I wont know until its all apart.

The spark plug wires should be replaced, they are arcing. We replace the wire separators as well, they get brittle and crack.

The coolant expansion tank is bulged out and discolored, it should be replaced. Also the cooling system appears to be serviced, the engine block plugs have never been out, which means its never been properly flushed out.

All four of the sway bar links are bad, they have play in them and the dust boots are broken. They need to be replaced.

The brake and clutch fluid are discolored and should be changed. The transmission and differential fluids look fine. I cannot tell on the oil change, do you have records?

The AC system is low on refrigerant and should be serviced.

I suggest we steam clean the undercarriage and suspension, there is quite a bit of grit and oil residue everywhere.

Thanks,

Just over $3k in repairs, not bad and about what I was expecting. Considering I got a smoking deal on the car I'm a happy camper and I'm looking forward to the car getting a clean bill of health from Dan. When I get her back she'll be ready to rock and roll.

OP
OP
Z

ZoaFan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$3000 for a belt and freon???

Oh God no, Dan is doing a lot.

Paxton needed to be rebuilt
Replacing belt tensioner
Replacing power steering pulley to Billet
Plugs
Wires
Service cooling system (removing block plugs)
Service breaks
Bleed clutch
Oil/filter
Replace front and rear sway bar links

Plus more

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh God no, Dan is doing a lot.

Paxton needed to be rebuilt
Replacing belt tensioner
Replacing power steering pulley to Billet
Plugs
Wires
Service cooling system (removing block plugs)
Service breaks
Bleed clutch
Oil/filter
Replace front and rear sway bar links

Plus more

Oh ok..Cool.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21