For anyone selling their garage queen !

DougM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As a cash buyer 1 month ago, I can tell you that there was a definite soft spot in the market just after the holidays. Mid winter will always drag down a market because half of the country doesn't really have the "itch" to make a purchase of something that will sit in a garage for months. There were a fair number of clean'96-'01 GTS's that could easily be purchased in the $32-$40k range and RT's for a couple thousand less from private owners and dealers. Mileage for all was between 6k and 35k without salvage titles.
There are always going to be the buyers that need to sell them quickly and can't wait for whatever reason. I got really lucky and found a very desperate seller and picked up a silver/blue '99 GTS for even less than the above numbers. Should my car set the market price? NO. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time with cash in hand.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Convince me to purchase a 2000-2001 in the 50's when a 06 can be had for 10K more.....

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to stir an already boiling over ***, but I would spend 50K on a 2000 or 2001 before I would pay 10K more on an 06. 03 and never vipers just really do not do it for me personally and I think many people prefer the orig. body style (92-02) rather than the 03+ body style. Say what you will, but 03+ will never live up to the stylish curves of the orig.

I have a black over cognac 99RT with 8K miles on it. I bought the car 2 years ago and paid 48,000 for it. I was looking for a clean 99 or 00 RT and there were not many to come by. The lowest I would accept now for my car is 45K.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to stir an already boiling over ***, but I would spend 50K on a 2000 or 2001 before I would pay 10K more on an 06. 03 and never vipers just really do not do it for me personally and I think many people prefer the orig. body style (92-02) rather than the 03+ body style. Say what you will, but 03+ will never live up to the stylish curves of the orig.

I have a black over cognac 99RT with 8K miles on it. I bought the car 2 years ago and paid 48,000 for it. I was looking for a clean 99 or 00 RT and there were not many to come by. The lowest I would accept now for my car is 45K.

I would have agreed with this statement until a month ago.. I saw a VOI9(white/blue stripes) 06' coupe in person. Absolutely STUNNING.. I agree with you, the vert's dont do it for me either.. But there are a few color combo's, on an 06' Coupe. That just cant be touched. VOI9,VCA,FE(Blue/white stripes),black/silver stripes... Any one of those color combos, changes the entire look of the car. And I REALLY like the SSG 08' Coupe, with Silver stripes. But I refuse to pay list for one. Bottom line(as I stated before). The color combo makes or breaks the car.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taximan is pretty on the money..

And it seems since I was referenced, or a least a few of my statements in this, that I should interject once again.

1st Color Matters.. PERIOD... Even the people who argue against me on that, say, if they WANTED THAT COLOR, they would have been all over it. EXACTLY my point. You dont, because its the most common color.

2nd MARKET DETERMINS THE PRICE, NOT US... jesus, how do you guys NOT get supply and demans? Its simple economics.. Remember those charts that show supply and demand and equilibrium? You can SET your price to what ever the hell you want to, however the BUYER has to agree to pay that price for their to be concensus on its value. Set the cars to 100k if you want, thats NOT their worth. What something sells for determines its value. Check the market, we are ALL down in value, probably worst of all my 06 Coupe. Market determines.. NOT just the SELLER... its both BUYER AND SELLER.

Ok, 5th grade economics lesson over (thats as far as I got in my education ;-) )

Jon

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree simple supply and demand. I wish I was buying a car right now,If I had any sense I would pick up a VOI car, and with prices dropping as they are you could get one heck of a car for not alot of $

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VenoMiss96,

You still selling the 96? I will give you $45k for it, since the ****** seats are probably dried up and cracked:lmao:

OP
OP
V

venms96

aaaaaahhhhhh, the guy who likes SHINY everything ! The Silicone man himself, don't slip and fall off those Seats now !! Was wondering when you were gonna chime in.

And the buyers, want the sellers to believe their cars are worth something they are not..
Great Post Taximan, - and from everyone really. This was my point really, I see too many people trying to make a guy feel bad, not necessarily here, but you know - because a guy has a great car for sale at a decent and fair price to begin with, and it's never good enough, always someone trying to beat a seller down, when the price is already "down" !

Curious as to how the "And a low mileage, mint condition, 2001 GTS, no matter what the color is - should be 50k minimum.
Chimazo - sorry I misunderstood your words, no big deal. This is what happens to guys with cars, and seasonal disorder-me. You're in it too in MD. - the beginning of February, we know we have another month of crappy weather, been sitting in it since November, this stuff can get to ya ! But to acknowledge your question - I just feel that a Gen II Body, mint, low mileage, garage queen type of car should be a 50k car, that's all. It's great that people can buy these Beasts at 40something or even 30something, if that's the case. I just think it's a car that deserves more money at sale time, that's all. I don't think certain type of cars should drop below certain prices. With the Gen II body style, the HP, the handling, the somewhat rarity of the Viper, I simply think it's a car that shouldn't keep plummeting in price, and not because I own one, not at all. This has nothing to do with me owning anything. Maybe I'm one of the few that think this Car is still one of the Best, and should hold it's pricing accordingly - not be treated like some BMW 3-series or whatever........

Last edited by a moderator:

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chimazo - sorry I misunderstood your words, no big deal.

No sweat. What's funny is that one of the main reasons I got rid of my Z06 was because I wanted to sell it while it still had some value. I always thought Vipers were a timeless design and rare, plus I figured (hoped?) that the resale in a few years wouldn't kill me, especially since I paid cash for both cars.

Hopefully, I bought my RT/10 somewhat near the lowest point in its depreciation curve, but it isn't something I have any control over. One thing I have learned is that it's stupid to own a garage queen (IMO). Your $$'s would be better served elsewhere and you deprive yourself of the enjoyment of driving an interesting, powerful, and fun vehicle. What are you "saving" it for?? Put the miles on it!!:drive:

DougM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Chimazo - sorry I misunderstood your words, no big deal. This is what happens to guys with cars, and seasonal disorder-me. You're in it too in MD. - the beginning of February, we know we have another month of crappy weather, been sitting in it since November, this stuff can get to ya ! But to acknowledge your question - I just feel that a Gen II Body, mint, low mileage, garage queen type of car should be a 50k car, that's all. It's great that people can buy these Beasts at 40something or even 30something, if that's the case. I just think it's a car that deserves more money at sale time, that's all. I don't think certain type of cars should drop below certain prices. With the Gen II body style, the HP, the handling, the somewhat rarity of the Viper, I simply think it's a car that shouldn't keep plummeting in price, and not because I own one, not at all. This has nothing to do with me owning anything. Maybe I'm one of the few that think this Car is still one of the Best, and should hold it's pricing accordingly - not be treated like some BMW 3-series or whatever........"

The reality is that the same can be said in all car enthusiast groups. They all like their car and that is why they own them. They all think that they should be worth more. Sometimes the supply/demand swings in their favor, sometimes not.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought a Sapphire/Silver 01 GTS and can say that the Sapphire and Graphite cars are far and few apart, atleast the nice ones and can also say you are NOT going to find one for 30s, 40's or even low 50's. :nono: I looked for a while to find one as nice as mine and continue to look and they do not come around often. Now red may be a different story.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents. I'm impulsive and money doesn't really that much to me. I am far from rich but my take is that money is a tool to use to do stuff and get stuff that is fun. When I die I know that I won't have regrets about not doing something, going somewhere or getting something. With that said I drooled over Vipers for many years but thought I would never get one....then my company was bought out and I lost my job but I saw it as a chance to get a Viper and I did. When I found the one I wanted I offered less than the asking price and asked if shipping could be thrown in as well and the seller said "yes". But if he had said no I would have bought it any way. I'll never sell it. I may buy a GenIII vert as well if Chrysler doesn't discontinue the Viper. Anyway my whole point is: if you want it buy it, don't worry about resale value and if you want to sell it then sell it. Makes no difference to me.

Does that make sense? Work is boring today so the BS is welling up inside of me and I got to alet it out.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents. I'm impulsive and money doesn't really that much to me. I am far from rich but my take is that money is a tool to use to do stuff and get stuff that is fun. When I die I know that I won't have regrets about not doing something, going somewhere or getting something. With that said I drooled over Vipers for many years but thought I would never get one....then my company was bought out and I lost my job but I saw it as a chance to get a Viper and I did. When I found the one I wanted I offered less than the asking price and asked if shipping could be thrown in as well and the seller said "yes". But if he had said no I would have bought it any way. I'll never sell it. I may buy a GenIII vert as well if Chrysler doesn't discontinue the Viper. Anyway my whole point is: if you want it buy it, don't worry about resale value and if you want to sell it then sell it. Makes no difference to me.

Does that make sense? Work is boring today so the BS is welling up inside of me and I got to alet it out.

Words to live by. Life is short and you never know what will happen tomorrow. I agree there are far more important thing sto stress over than the viper market. I don't plan on selling mine for atleast 5 years so really do not care what it is worth right now, to me it is priceless.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could the problem be that a lot of guys with the money to buy 08's are dumping their cars on the market? It makes the market soft, and with a soft underbelly, the guys who HAVE TO sell will get softer and softer. maybe?

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Couple points here:
  • The wealthy guys don't care if they lose a few grand if it means they can get their butt into a new shiney "insert cool car here."
  • The guys who are barely affording these cars are selling for a loss because they can't afford the 600-1000 a month payment they realized is detrimental to 1). Moving out of mom and dads 2). Moving out of that place you rent with 4 buddies 3). Marrying your future wife who thinks the car is a waste of money 4). Insert other I just graduated college and figured it was going to be a good idea at the time comment
  • Age of the Viper, this car is getting OLD. Older cars are harder to get loans for
  • Color Matters....A LOT
  • The economy is taking a dump
  • Babies happen
  • Wives happen
  • $hit happens
This and many other things drive down the prices of these cars. We can argue all day but we have to realize that luxury goods like Vipers are always going to depreciate in value first when the economy starts sucking....aka Supply is going to be greater than Demand. It's simple economics folks. We as a Viper community can't control the price if half the community suddenly needs an expensive surgery or decides to ditch the car for a house and so on. These circumstances simply magnify in a crappy economy.

It *****, but it's reality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

venms96

Great Posts, thoughts, and so on.

We as a Viper community can't control the price if half the community suddenly needs an expensive surgery or decides to ditch the car for a house and so on.

Well - this type of seller is, I would hope, few and far between. The majority of Owners, have their car, aren't selling their car, and don't need to sell their car. We do have some control in what we do with our cars too, and not let the desperate seller price dictate what the rest of us should/will do in the future.

This whole thing started when I saw Matt's Thread, that has since been deleted, he has/or had a 2001 GTS, that is just beautiful, like new. Ok, it's Red, I happen to think the Viper Red, although common, is one of the best looking Reds I've ever seen on any Car. And look at that '02 FE, a favorite among many - Red ain't so bad guys. I understand the color thing - but jeeeeesh, give the Reds a break. But to get back to the '01 I was thinking of when starting this chit-chat, I saw a few replys, (don't remember who it was, don't care either) say that he had it priced to high and he should drop it to 47k, which he did. I was like - ***, why are you believing that, when I strongly disagree that a Car like his - should sell for anything under 50k. And I read that he took others suggestions and dropped his price to 47k, just like that. I guess he didn't look at many Dealer prices that would most likely, had his car at 55k. Just a guess there......

And then on Ebay now, I see a red, '05, 6k mi. at a Dealer in Fla. no less - with 14 bids and upto 49k right now and a BIN at 53k. Now, there's a car I wouldn't pay 49-53k for - but again, just my opinion. So, why would a guy with a mint, '01 GTS, settle for anything less..

Hey, he's not, or anyone else isn't ruining the price of my Car. I just wouldn't "cave" like that. But I also don't agree with sitting on Car forever dealing with a bunch of BS either, just to get a few more bucks out of it. The middle ground is fine with me, I just thought this particular GTS went way underground, way too fast, and was influenced by the wrong opinions, whatever they were...........

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could the problem be that a lot of guys with the money to buy 08's are dumping their cars on the market? It makes the market soft, and with a soft underbelly, the guys who HAVE TO sell will get softer and softer. maybe?

I am not really seeing a glutten of nice GTS's on the market to be honest with you. There are a few nice ones at best and they seem to be colors that are the most popular, or should I say with the highest numbers. Despite a few cars with good prices I do not think this is a great time to be looking to buy a Viper, unless you want yellow or red.

I think we have a couple of people, probably buyers yelling the sky is falling. If you have a nice low mile GTS for sale I say hold your ground you will eventually get what you are asking, any sports car takes a while to sell, especially in this type of economy and time of year.

funky977

Enthusiast
Reaction score
venms96, "cave" is an interesting way to put it. The history of the selling my car started a few months ago when I posted it on the VCA classified section. I had a price of $53K (if I remember right) which included the warranty. I had a few bites, but nothing substantial. I then posted the car on Autotrader and found that many cars were selling without warranties (which I sought out when I bought and thought it would be a great selling point). I dropped the price of the car, but took out the warranty to show everyone how much the warranty actually was compared to the real price of the car. No bites...

I understand the market, I look on Ebay everyday (more of an obsession/habit when I was out buying a Viper) and check Cars.com/Autotrader. Buying a car like this from an individual is more difficult for some than buying from a dealer. I posted on the board (which started a flood of opinion) to get it shown and see if the VCA members had someone (or themselves) in mind to get a great 2001 RED GTS. I knew I would get feedback about the price because I know a lot of board members (like me) look at price constantly. I "caved" knowing all along that I was going to drop the price. I didn't realize the amount of feedback (either positive or negative) that I was going to get on the thread which in turn detracted from the original purpose of the thread.

If anyone has/had noticed that I have $47,000 on the VCA classifieds and $48,000 on Autotrader, it's because I want a fellow VCA board member to buy this car. I remember when I was looking and appreciated threads that showed the car for sale.

So if anyone would like a No stories, sub-5000 mile 2001 Dodge Viper GTS (Red) with Maxcare warranty for $47,000. I am the man you need to talk to.

Cheers,
Matt (aka. funky977) (aka. The guy who started this feedback session) (aka. I certainly didn't mean to start this feedback session)

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
venms96, "cave" is an interesting way to put it. The history of the selling my car started a few months ago when I posted it on the VCA classified section. I had a price of $53K (if I remember right) which included the warranty. I had a few bites, but nothing substantial. I then posted the car on Autotrader and found that many cars were selling without warranties (which I sought out when I bought and thought it would be a great selling point). I dropped the price of the car, but took out the warranty to show everyone how much the warranty actually was compared to the real price of the car. No bites...

I understand the market, I look on Ebay everyday (more of an obsession/habit when I was out buying a Viper) and check Cars.com/Autotrader. Buying a car like this from an individual is more difficult for some than buying from a dealer. I posted on the board (which started a flood of opinion) to get it shown and see if the VCA members had someone (or themselves) in mind to get a great 2001 RED GTS. I knew I would get feedback about the price because I know a lot of board members (like me) look at price constantly. I "caved" knowing all along that I was going to drop the price. I didn't realize the amount of feedback (either positive or negative) that I was going to get on the thread which in turn detracted from the original purpose of the thread.

If anyone has/had noticed that I have $47,000 on the VCA classifieds and $48,000 on Autotrader, it's because I want a fellow VCA board member to buy this car. I remember when I was looking and appreciated threads that showed the car for sale.

So if anyone would like a No stories, sub-5000 mile 2001 Dodge Viper GTS (Red) with Maxcare warranty for $47,000. I am the man you need to talk to.

Cheers,
Matt (aka. funky977) (aka. The guy who started this feedback session) (aka. I certainly didn't mean to start this feedback session)

Well done... And coming from someone who just sold a 2001 in this market. I think your right on key... That car is now "market" priced for a sale.. It WILL sell!!!!! And someone will get a GREAT low mileage car... I sold my 2001, a couple thousand shy of what I had hoped to get. But the guy who got it, could NOT stop thanking me for making his dream come true. A first time VIper owner..

I also had him make a "Gentlemans aggreement" with me, that if/when he should sell the car. I have the first opportunity to buy it back for "current" market value. He agreed with that offer, 110% percent.. Could he back out on that? Of course he could. But I dont think he will... Regardless, I feel good about my sale.. Good Luck Funky..

OP
OP
V

venms96

Buying a car like this from an individual is more difficult for some than buying from a dealer

Totally disagree with this - nothing like buying a nice car, from a decent guy - who is honest, (if you can find that these days) and knows everything, or almost everything about the history of the Car. Not that the Dealer might not know, but most really don't care.

aka. I certainly didn't mean to start this feedback session)

no, that was me - and there's no reason to be apologetic about it. I stated the reasons I started it - hey Funky, I thought you'd at least say - "Thanks for the support, but I don't need any" ! Or, "nice to know there are some people in my corner". Oh well - this always was a tough bunch to begin with here........(sarcasm in here as well)

I know y'all are done with it - so am I. Funky got his say, we all understand a little better - but I still stand my ground that your car is a 50k car, regardless of any car market or anything. Hell, half of North America is sitting in Winter - tough time to sell sometimes. But lots of time to type.......take it easy.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Convince me to purchase a 2000-2001 in the 50's when a 06 can be had for 10K more.....

Amen, Frank for once I have to agree with you, unless you have one very unique 2000-2001, they are just not going to be able to retain that percentage of value.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amen, Frank for once I have to agree with you, unless you have one very unique 2000-2001, they are just not going to be able to retain that percentage of value.

thats why, the 2nd time around. I made sure I bought a "unique" one. a VOI9... And your VCA would most definately fall into that category as well..

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your praise....See sometimes i do have something interesting to contribute.....

cobramadness

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in a pristine 97 b/w under warranty w/ 6k mi, it will take $57k for me to sell

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll never sell my '97 B/W unless I'm going broke. It's the one I always wanted and the one I will always keep.
My red '98, well lets just say I'm open to offers....:D

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for my 06 coupe, I'm driving it and enjoying the hell out of it. It will not be intentionally kept low mileage for the next owner or resale value. The market for used cars or anything else is extremely soft, keep your car and you could probably sell it in 3 years for what you would get for it today. Drive on!!!!:drive:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4