for those who drove the gen 5

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it that different from the 09 ACR ? i am thinking about adding a new car to the stable but was thinking about getting into something new ( i have a 150-160k budget ) . I saw the car at the NYC show and didn't like it but its growing on me with every video i see . I like the black w/ graphite stripes GTS with carbon and red seats :omg: but is it different than the 09 ACR ??? is it THAT different or is it the same thing with a new face ?

I have been thinking about a GTR and send it to AMS in Chicago for a Alpha 10 (800 whp) package or something new or maybe a new 991 porsche (even though the new Turbo isn't out yet , it won't be less than 180 k , the new 4S are already 140+k !!! )

I am ready to try something new but wanted to get your feed back on the experience with the new gen 5 ..

thanks

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen V seems to be improved in most every aspect.

Lighter weight, more aerodynamic, more cooling, and more power.

The Transmission is stronger and smoother, the rear end better geared and improved.

Interior quality has gone way up, and the suspension has far better shocks and geometry.

Body is now carbon fiber and aluminum with a massaged styling.

Interior should be quieter, better seats, better stereo, improved electronics for engine, suspension and audio.

Improved dash, and availability for back up camera and navigation.

Cannot think of a single area that has not been rethought and improved.

NSviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove it for a short time. We weren't allowed any spirted driving. But from that short drive, I felt it is definitely more refined.

OP
OP
A

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it better riding than 09 ACR , i mean much better ? i am going to change out my pilot sport cups because of the harsh ride ! and wanted a comfy ride

OP
OP
A

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen V seems to be improved in most every aspect.

Lighter weight, more aerodynamic, more cooling, and more power.

The Transmission is stronger and smoother, the rear end better geared and improved.

Interior quality has gone way up, and the suspension has far better shocks and geometry.

Body is now carbon fiber and aluminum with a massaged styling.

Interior should be quieter, better seats, better stereo, improved electronics for engine, suspension and audio.

Improved dash, and availability for back up camera and navigation.

Cannot think of a single area that has not been rethought and improved.

Did you drive it ?

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is the difference in suspension and do they have same tires and wheel sizes ?

The GTS has a two mode set-up with a smoother Street setting and much firmer Track setting.
The SRT has a single setting that is somewhere in between the two.
In a review the tester said that on a scale of 1 to 10, ( 1 being velvety smooth and 10 track harsh) the GTS would rate
6 and 8 while the SRT would be a 7.
My question was : what would a Gen IV be ?
Rims and tire size are the same

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i drove one spirited and got to be driven by a pro driver in one. its better than the ACR. Ralph mentioned that it will beat the ACR at the track too.

NSviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it better riding than 09 ACR , i mean much better ? i am going to change out my pilot sport cups because of the harsh ride ! and wanted a comfy ride
I have PS2s on my 10 ACR, on the street it is the way to go the ride is much better. As for the differance between the 4 and 5. I was proberly the excited to really give any meaningful advice. All I can say is that my Gen 2 is up for sell or trade.

Last edited:

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a review the tester said that on a scale of 1 to 10, ( 1 being velvety smooth and 10 track harsh) the GTS would rate
6 and 8 while the SRT would be a 7.

I believe the reviewer said 0-10 with the Toyota Yaris representing a 0 and an ALMS race car representing a 10. The GTS with the softer setting would rate a 7, while the race setting would rate a 9. The SRT by contrast would would rate an 8.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the reviewer said 0-10 with the Toyota Yaris representing a 0 and an ALMS race car representing a 10. The GTS with the softer setting would rate a 7, while the race setting would rate a 9. The SRT by contrast would would rate an 8.

Yes, exactly, that's the review.
But where would a regular Gen IV be on that scale, as that's the one we can all compare with ?

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, we have no pespective. Compare to another supercar, any supercar.

Yes, exactly, that's the review.
But where would a regular Gen IV be on that scale, as that's the one we can all compare with ?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hardly doubt anybody who drove the Gen V at VOI will be able to answer your question definitively . I would wait until a dealer has one, fly there test drive it and determine if it fits your needs/wants. That's what I would do prior to dropping $100k on a car.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Chassis will be a lot stiffer on the Gen V with the x bar over the engine. For the first time no Michelin tires.

Bruce

OP
OP
A

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
will probably try to arrange for a drive first ....

any experience on the GTR , i hear its too stiff . The only one i rode in had stiff track suspension and was unbearable !! the owner told me its much better on stock suspension !

robiferretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
150 opens you up to a lot of cars, I would shop for 430 scuderia, 360 CS or nice Gallardo Superlegerra. There are a ton of cars for $150k. My choice would be either GT3RS or Ford GT for $150k

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. I got to drive a couple SRT's on an autocross track at VOI.

Both models will ride a ton smoother than an 09 ACR. I have also driven and ridden in 08 ACR and it rode very firm. It had the standard cup tires which are pretty much track tires with a little tread to make them ************. It had very hard springs and shocks to support aerodynamics and wings with the car generating over 1000 lbs of down force. This made it ride pretty uncomfortable on the street.

The new will ride even smoother than the current street (non ACR) model. It will weigh less, have better suspension, adjustable shocks of much higher quality, softer springs, better seats, and more sound insulation. It will turn the comfort knob way up. It will not only ride smoother, but with far better turn in, less getting loose in the rear and easier off the corners due to new suspension geometry.

This new snake can be taken way upscale for those who wish the better things in life. The soft, hand fitted leather will quiet down the interior much better than the plastic in the current version.

Since it will be a while until these are available, you have the luxury to learn more details about the car as the auto magazines get to spend more time driving the cars. All the insiders that have spent time with the car indicate the comfort, as well as performance envelope will be enhanced quite a bit with this new Viper.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. I got to drive a couple SRT's on an autocross track at VOI.

Both models will ride a ton smoother than an 09 ACR. I have also driven and ridden in 08 ACR and it rode very firm. It had the standard cup tires which are pretty much track tires with a little tread to make them ************. It had very hard springs and shocks to support aerodynamics and wings with the car generating over 1000 lbs of down force. This made it ride pretty uncomfortable on the street.

The new will ride even smoother than the current street (non ACR) model. It will weigh less, have better suspension, adjustable shocks of much higher quality, softer springs, better seats, and more sound insulation. It will turn the comfort knob way up. It will not only ride smoother, but with far better turn in, less getting loose in the rear and easier off the corners due to new suspension geometry.

This new snake can be taken way upscale for those who wish the better things in life. The soft, hand fitted leather will quiet down the interior much better than the plastic in the current version.

Since it will be a while until these are available, you have the luxury to learn more details about the car as the auto magazines get to spend more time driving the cars. All the insiders that have spent time with the car indicate the comfort, as well as performance envelope will be enhanced quite a bit with this new Viper.
Paul, I'll have to admit the 1st time I saw the Gen. V, I wasn't blown away by it but now to me its by far the Ultimate Viper by all aspects! And I still haven't even driven one. There's some people out there that wouldn't take a Viper if you gave it to them, but unless you've ever owned one & had that experience I don't think you'll ever really understand it!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i drove one spirited and got to be driven by a pro driver in one. its better than the ACR. Ralph mentioned that it will beat the ACR at the track too.

I would be VERY impressed if the Gen 5 beats the Gen 4 ACR on the track (road courses I assume)....I guess eventually we'll find out :rolleyes:

Cheers,
George

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven a Gen IV (non-ACR) and it was quite a leap in power and braking from the Gen III. When I drove the Gen V at VOI, I tried to respectfully push it as I didn't hear anyone even squealing a tire while I waited in line. The Gen V was superb in every single way! I don't think had I pushed even further could I get a chirp out of those tires and the brakes were so good I just about kissed the steering wheel.....a huge difference from my Gen II ACR.

For the money you have to spend, I'd definitely wait for the chance to drive a Gen V and see for yourself....it will be faster than a Gen IV ACR.

Regards,
Aaron

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be VERY impressed if the Gen 5 beats the Gen 4 ACR on the track (road courses I assume)....I guess eventually we'll find out :rolleyes:

Cheers,
George
Not going to happen...I think a few people will be disappointed as the ACR generates a lot more down force than the new snake will ever. Simple numbers like this don't lie. i would be pretty impressed if it could but I highly doubt it.....we shall see....

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have driven the Gen V, and it will ride better than an ACR, even if you switched to PS2s -- this is a objective answer from a fellow ACR driver.

Join the VCA, and get together with all the cool guys in Nova Scotia. There are getting to be enough Snakes in your Province to start your own Club.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm very surprised that you guys got all that info out of the VOI drive. I was there and drove one on that very short course. I never shifted past second gear so really don't know how well the new shifter works, never stood on it so really have no feeling as to how the launch control works, cornering speeds were slow due to the short course, so how it handled was difficult to evaluate. I was in the car for a total of 2-3 min max. I was surprised to see how the car was still cramped for me inspite all the hype as to the bigger interior( I'm 6-1'). I honestly can't say from that very short exposure that I got any real feel for the new car. I do know that the 140K price for the loaded launch edition makes me look at many other offerings out there for that price. When Viper ACR's were 110k, they were easily 40-50K cheaper that comparable rides from other performance makes. Now Viper is in direct competition price wise with a lot of other performance makes. Even the SRT with stripes,trac pak,destination fee,gas guzzler tax is easily 125K.--Just thinking--not trying to put down the new car--Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4