front emblem on viper TA

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi, have a orange TA on it's way and was wondering if it's possible to put on an actual viper emblem on the front in place of the 'sticker'…. questions, is the sticker on top of the clear coat or is it underneath the coating… i can't figure out why they would do that for such minuscule weight saving…. hell, i'd skip a slurpee before i get in the car than….

jR
2014 TA

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sticker is on top. It can be removed. It is not just weight saving. A raised emblem would also slightly change the aero. But for someone that does not use the car at 10/10ths, such a small thing makes no difference.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sticker is on top. It can be removed. It is not just weight saving. A raised emblem would also slightly change the aero. But for someone that does not use the car at 10/10ths, such a small thing makes no difference.

you are joking , right ? because i,m LMAO on that one :lmao:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He didn't really say that did he?
There probably would be more effect if the driver ate three more French fries.

Bryan Savage

Viper Owner
Reaction score

you are joking , right ? because i,m LMAO on that one :lmao:

lol @ changing aero

it is just a silly marketing thing as "saving weight wherever possible.

Actually, Bob is correct. Any surface protrusion will change the aerodynamics of the car. As velocities increase, the frontal area of the badge will begin to add some drag, but Bob and ViperSmith are both correct about whether or not you'd notice.

I don't feel like running any numbers, but not even The Stig would be able tell the difference between two cars, one with badge and one without, in a blind test. No way.

This is a quote from Drive SRT:

Replacing the standard SRT badges are new TA logos, while Stryker hood emblem is also swapped in favor of a flat insignia. This weight-saving alternative results in a one-pound reduction in curb weight.

Now, with all this nice kit in my TA, a one-pound weight savings is laughable. Chuck the stereo & speakers and adjustable seats if you want to save weight.

He didn't really say that did he?
There probably would be more effect if the driver ate three more French fries.

Jon, you are only correct if those said fries weighed more than one pound. ;)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. I was not joking. The car spent alot of time in the wind tunnel and although it would produce a very small aero gain, when you add up small gains, overall they can make a difference. The TA was developed to take the Leguna Seca record. It would have been foolish not to take advantage of the smallest of possible benefits. For drag racing, the change is irrelavent. But the Viper, especially the TA, was not developed as a drag racer. A fact that for some reason is repeatedly not taken into consideration by some posters.

One of the things that all pro teams do in all forms of racing is try to figure out what small gains can be made, within the rules, to beat the competition. That is why you constantly see the various governing organizations changing the rules to keep up with the creativity of the teams.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. I was not joking. The car spent alot of time in the wind tunnel and although it would produce a very small aero gain, when you add up small gains, overall they can make a difference. The TA was developed to take the Leguna Seca record. It would have been foolish not to take advantage of the smallest of possible benefits. For drag racing, the change is irrelavent. But the Viper, especially the TA, was not developed as a drag racer. A fact that for some reason is repeatedly not taken into consideration by some posters.

One of the things that all pro teams do in all forms of racing is try to figure out what small gains can be made, within the rules, to beat the competition. That is why you constantly see the various governing organizations changing the rules to keep up with the creativity of the teams.

stop it right now bob your killing me:lmao::lmao::lmao:

OP
OP
J

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well…. uh… does the real emblem look nicer ? is it one color? how much from stealer ?

jR

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every little bit counts ;)

But, I actually rubbed fingertips across a TA snout badge, it is indeed vinyl on top. Just peel it off.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every little bit counts ;)

But, I actually rubbed fingertips across a TA snout badge, it is indeed vinyl on top. Just peel it off.

Those fingerprints will now create a roughened textured surface on the hood, increasing drag and throwing off the cars dynamics.
Please keep it under 55 until the car is rebalanced by a professional.

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those fingerprints will now create a roughened textured surface on the hood, increasing drag and throwing off the cars dynamics.
Please keep it under 55 until the car is rebalanced by a professional.
:hahaup:
Just imagine the distortions to balance bug splatters make...

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you take it off, keep it. whoever buys the TA from you will want it. Enjoy your TA! If you get a chance to take it on a road course, try it. You will be astounded at how capable the car is.

OP
OP
J

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol…. so, does the emblem come in diff. color ? i 'll check what the nonTAs badge look like and consider….

i just don't want to slow my car down too much with a nonTA emblem…

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should save it when you remove it because Viper buyers tend to want the "original" version of the car and since the TA is a limited, numbered, edition of the car ( plaque on dashboard), someone who buys it from you will probably want all the original parts, including the stickers.

Just to make it clear, my original post is in reference to aero effects at very high speeds - say more than 160 MPH. Small raised surfaces at those speeds, on a cumulative basis, can make a difference in aero efficiency. But like I said, all but a very few would not care. Very few posters have driven a vehicle at 160 and even fewer have driven one at more than 200. Believe me, when you do, you want as much aero efficiency as possible - even the tiny, itsy bitsy gains.

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you take it off, keep it. whoever buys the TA from you will want it. Enjoy your TA! If you get a chance to take it on a road course, try it. You will be astounded at how capable the car is.

It will be slightly less capable if he uses a non-TA badge at the front though right?:D

Seriously though, adding a badge won't do a thing to the cars performance/safety in any reasonable way. Go for it. But check to see if you void your waranty before you remove it. lol

Last edited:

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should save it when you remove it because Viper buyers tend to want the "original" version of the car and since the TA is a limited, numbered, edition of the car ( plaque on dashboard), someone who buys it from you will probably want all the original parts, including the stickers.
Very good point.:)

OP
OP
J

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my #66,,. Will check re embkem on the cf x brace... delivered while im out of town...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VPA sells the OEM hood emblems in Sneaky Pete, Fangs and Stryker. Different colors. About $100 each, depending on model. Comes complete with the 3M adhesive tape.

Might be able to put on right over the sticker.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TA emblem has some body, that might not work

VPA sells the OEM hood emblems in Sneaky Pete, Fangs and Stryker. Different colors. About $100 each, depending on model. Comes complete with the 3M adhesive tape.

Might be able to put on right over the sticker.