Front Splitters, big brakes?

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay guys as some of you may know I had my GTS up for sale. Well the buyer had to back out for medical reasons which I will not get into. Anyways he was great to deal with and wish we could have worked something out. He insisted that I kept his $500 deposit.

SO...... Car is still up for sale if interested.

On another note tho. If I end up storing the car for winter I will probably mod it a little more.

Stuck between adding a front Splitter, or bigger brakes. The bigger brakes would make more sense for what I do with the car, but love the looks of some of the splitters I have seen.

Can anyone give me some insight (and pics!) to your Gen 2 splitter and brake upgrades? Also price?

Also if all goes well I may be SC the car over winter, but I don't want to jump the gun yet. I would still like a newer coupe, but to be 100% honest I was going to be pretty sad to see the GTS go, and I almost feel releaved that the buyer did back out.......

Thanks!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment! If you don't mind me asking how much for the brake upgrade? I do respect Daves splitter, but not a fan of it for my particular car. Just got a PM from a gentleman that has the one I would like. $$$ is the issue here I think tho.

Great looking GTS by the way!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the brakes for less then 2600 if im not mistaken. You can do it much cheaper then that as well.

600 for all 4 srt calipers (VCA Member from Hawaii)
300 for powder coating and rebuilding (R&J Distributing)
895 for the bbk (from Dave himself, now from partsrack)
595 for the ebrake kit (from Dave himself, now from partsrack)
Stainless steel lines (donated by Ellowviper)
EBC Red 200 for both sets (partsrack)
Rotors (donated by a local)

Reastically I didn't NEED to have them powdercoated and rebuilt but red calipers on a yellow car are no good for me and reastically i did not have to have ebc red pads. Normally you can find calipers with pads already. Also you can almost always find a local with OEM rotors they aren't using. You don't HAVE to have the e brake kit either. For the SS lines you can pick them up for around 100.

Money was the issue for me but I committed to buying the brake kit from BBK Dave. The kit wasn't ready so the money I had was put towards a spur of the moment roe kit that became available locally. As soon as I bought the roe kit the brake kit was ready so I got myself into a little hole. All worked out well though and I have a serious monster on my hands (not compared to TT builds or big roe builds, but highly respectable)

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the diffusers and the splitter as well. I fabricated my own. The diffusers are aluminum and the splitter is solid carbon fiber.

You must be registered for see images attach

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine :)

Small stuck on roof scoop (with double sided automotive tape), you can still see the double bubble of the roof with no problem :) Aluminium front splitter originally purchased from Parts Rack, there is one for sale in the classifieds. The great thing about it is its quickly detachable and fits in the rear trunk space ;) Its also adjustable for height.

More pics Here :)
http://rides.webshots.com/album/572931859GAKzDT

Last edited:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look up autoform. Big brakes are good. A lemans style front fascie with or wiithout the 2 extra lights, rear diffuser and lemans wing will realy set the car off

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to look into the SRT brake conversion some more. I like the sounds of it. Its a nice chunk of money, but I think it would be well worth it.

Also thanks for the pics of Splitters. I think I will be getting the rear diffusers sooner rather than later. But do these actually help keep the car cleaner? Read that somewhere......

I do like a lot of your splitters here, but I am looking at something a little different. I really like Steves badass spoiler, but seen a few worth looking at as well. Also looking for the side splitters. I think my car needs something to make it look more sharp, mean and aggresive. Don't get me wrong I love the car, but still feel its a tad to "bubbly" for the paint job.

Also my last RT (when I knew very little about vipers) had a bit of a brake upgrade. I found out that it had the same caliper/rotors as the front. The braking system was nice however if you got on them the rears loved to lock up. Typical or missing something? I am afraid to have this happen on my GTS, that was NO fun.

Also would it make sense to just upgrade the rears? I don't want to half-ass anything just wondering if the SRT fronts are that much better?

-Tim

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as brakes are concerned-80% of your braking is done up front, so make sure you don't have MORE brake in the back.

Dave's bbk or stoptech's...got mine from Jonb during a winter group purchase...included calipers, 2 piece rotors, fluid, ss lines, pads and e brake.

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a PM from a fellow member that has the Front SRT conversion kit. Waiting to find price$$$. If I do that, what is suggested for the rear? Is there a kit to move my fronts to the rear? Bad idea? good idea? I could care less for a parking brake, but I guess if I plan on selling the car I should have one working.

Thanks!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you can move your fronts to the rear. The OEM rear SRT brakes are the equilevelant to the OEM GTS front brakes so moving your fronts to the rear can accomplish the same thing. The only different is the look of the caliper. I am someone who has to be very symmetrical so I had to have the same size calipers in the rear as front. There is another bracket kit that I believe is 595 as well to move your fronts to the rear from Partsrack. Honestly it was the first big upgrade I did and man what a difference in just normal day to day stop and go. Much less pedal pressure required to stop at stop signs, so much better! This was hands down my best mod (with the supercharger coming a close 2nd).

In regards to the diffuser blades they do indeed keep the rear bumper cleaner. I have driven over 240 miles in my car in one run to get out and see just a light dusting on the bumper. That being said if you tend to back up into spaces you won't notice much difference due to the rear exhaust swirling up dirt on the ground. Also about half of the folks I have sold diffuser blades to have reported back to me finding the same thing, reduce dirt on the rear. Keep in mind though the diffuser blades that extend past the rear bumper are going to create the most noticeable difference, but thats all in personal taste. I don't drive a race car so having a huge diffuser setup was not for me.

If you look through my photo album you can identify the brackets in the photos with the calipers. There are also a couple writeups on how to do the install. Honestly it is an extremely simple install as well. Nothing really special.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking @ splitters as well. Nothing I like for a decent price. I wish Dave would make some more of his

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto MTGTS. I seen another post from a guy with a blue GTS that I liked. PM'ed him but have heard nothing back. I will keep posted. I like Steves super splitter, but $1250 is a touch more than can afford when I would like to do brakes.

KNG SNKE I will PM you on that diffuser/brake setup.

-Tim

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the wing/splitter on my Gen 1 and instead did the brake upgrade on my GTS, the advantage of the wing and splitter was that it kept the rear planted which on an RT/10 at speed can be a concern. It allowed me to remove the biasing and dial in more rear brakes which did also give better braking. It certainly stood out and always got comments, some liked it, others not so much but rarely were people neutral.

On my GTS, I did the SRT brake upgrade (and also added ABS but that is a different story) the difference on the track is that not only can I brake later but the confidence you build to push it further is incredible. The SRT brakes just do not fade and they are less likely to boil the brake fluid.

Having done both, there really is no wrong answer, either way good luck!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front splitter, SRT brakes, side splitters

You must be registered for see images

Rear diffuser, SRT brakes, side splitters, high heels, girl

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks clean! Can I see some pics of the entire front of the splitter? Do you sell copies of the sides and front?

-Tim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang