Full exhaust upgrade

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought my Viper the other day and I'm already looking to replace the entire exhaust system (headers back). I have a few questions, though. I came from an 07 Corvette that I installed everything on by myself (H/C/I and full exhaust). How hard is it to replace the headers and exhaust on the Viper? Is it something I can do fairly easily in my garage?

Also, any recommendations on complete systems? I had Kooks headers and a B&B catback on the Corvette. Are there any standout headers for the Viper (something like LG for the vette) or are they all pretty much the same? Any recommendations on sizes? I just read a thread about a Borla catback and it sounded pretty nice. I don't want to go too crazy because the vette was pretty unbearable at times.

Thanks in advance!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do your homework on exhaust notes. A V-10 is not a V8 and you get a lot of different tones. Some sound like a UPS truck.

Bruce

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the GEN, I prefer the American Racing headers with the rear CAT delete and the Mopar PCM upgrade for a GEN IV. Leaving the factory mufflers on.

that is my preference. There are several threads on the subject with sound bytes.

Bruce

OP
OP
D

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Mitch on the tech line. He is around all the time to help and has installed dozens of sets. We are Viper owners who only build Viper exhaust and headers. Www.mandmperformance.net

Are you guys in Minnesota? That'd be convenient :). What kind of gains would I be looking at with M&M headers and, say, a Corsa or Borla cat back? I was reading and I thought I saw a few people mention that gains would be as much on an 05/06 compared to an 03/04.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Are you guys in Minnesota? That'd be convenient :). What kind of gains would I be looking at with M&M headers and, say, a Corsa or Borla cat back? I was reading and I thought I saw a few people mention that gains would be as much on an 05/06 compared to an 03/04.

Yes we are in Minnesota.... Gains are the same on 03-06

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have installed and tuned many M&M headers. So i thought i'd chime im amd let you know they indeed work. As with any good header, youll want to tune the car to get the most out of them. But these header look good, make awesome power, sound great, but most importantly, MATT backs up his products. Always has and you get a real header with real customer support.

The i stall isnt bad at all, and with these headers and a corsa, tuned, we have made 521rwhp. Those are dyno dynamics numbers. Youll see great "seat of the pants gains" with great numbers also.

Todd

OP
OP
D

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have installed and tuned many M&M headers. So i thought i'd chime im amd let you know they indeed work. As with any good header, youll want to tune the car to get the most out of them. But these header look good, make awesome power, sound great, but most importantly, MATT backs up his products. Always has and you get a real header with real customer support.

The i stall isnt bad at all, and with these headers and a corsa, tuned, we have made 521rwhp. Those are dyno dynamics numbers. Youll see great "seat of the pants gains" with great numbers also.

Todd

Can I easily do the install in my garage without a lift? I did head/cam/full exhaust swap on my Vette without a lift, but I'm afraid the Viper may be a bit more difficult.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I easily do the install in my garage without a lift? I did head/cam/full exhaust swap on my Vette without a lift, but I'm afraid the Viper may be a bit more difficult.

Yes. They can be done in your home garage. I did head/cam/full exhaust on my Viper without a lift. The passenger side can be more involved since the engine sits closer to the right (for weight balance purposes). I recommend that you get woodhouse motor mounts while you are there. Removing the motor mount makes removing the passenger side header so much easier. You may have to lift the engine a tiny bit to wiggle in the headers.

Lastly, if you really want to open up room in the engine bay, go ahead and remove the windshield wipers, plastic cowl, and passenger side a/c air box (<10 minute job, maybe 20 the first time you do it). After the aforementioned pieces are gone, access to the rear header bolts and sparkplugs becomes a non-issue. As a matter of fact, you will realize that there is much more engine access on that Viper than you ever had on your Vette.

Good luck.

OP
OP
D

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. They can be done in your home garage. I did head/cam/full exhaust on my Viper without a lift. The passenger side can be more involved since the engine sits closer to the right (for weight balance purposes). I recommend that you get woodhouse motor mounts while you are there. Removing the motor mount makes removing the passenger side header so much easier. You may have to lift the engine a tiny bit to wiggle in the headers.

Lastly, if you really want to open up room in the engine bay, go ahead and remove the windshield wipers, plastic cowl, and passenger side a/c air box (<10 minute job, maybe 20 the first time you do it). After the aforementioned pieces are gone, access to the rear header bolts and sparkplugs becomes a non-issue. As a matter of fact, you will realize that there is much more engine access on that Viper than you ever had on your Vette.

Good luck.

Thanks! How hard is it to lift the engine? I've never done it before.

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not hard at all. Youll need to remove the front strut tower brace, 2 lower engine mount bolts, and then you can raise it to where youll need to. Dont worry, go slow, and youll be fine.

345s-bspinnin is not a good example of your average do it yourselfer!. He's extremely talented and when he moves to California, will be working with me :)

Rally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have full Belanger system as well, went to the track with it for the first time this weekend and got complements from everyone on the sound. Had a ZR1 in my run group, they said they couldn't hear him when we were running together, I'm good with that. It was no UPS truck going around there :)