FYI: Key Fobs

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a '98 GTS with a broken fob case. I was told that the '99 key fob will not work with a '98 Viper. I always like the newer Viper key fobs, smaller and better looking. I have come across key fobs on ebay saying '99 and up Vipers, but one time I came across a '98 Viper that had the newer key fob. That got me wondering about if they will work on the older Vipers. I then came across info about if the FCC number matches it will work. My number did not match the FCC number. But recently I found one on ebay with the same Canada number and one number off the FCC. I figured I would give it a shot because I saw a '98 for sale with the newer type. I received the fob today and took both apart, the numbers on the circuit boards match but also the circuit boards are the shape and setup. So I switch the boards and it works perfect. I will play with programing some other day. So if you have the older style remote pictured below, you can have the new case even if the number don't match. Worth the $40 compared to the old clucky one. Now I'm not embarrassed anymore. :)
8593CIMG0969-med.JPG

This is after the change of internals.
8593CIMG0970-med.JPG

Reaction score
Dude.....WAY too much thought into it!!! :) Had the newer fobs on my 97 for about 3 years. There is a good "How To" on the site for programming DIY. :)

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went by the dealer and they sold me the same new style to replace my old style, like in the picture. I hope the FCC won't be coming after me.....lol

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the extremely ugly Gen 1 remote (w/just the chrysler logo on it). Anyway I can upgrade to either of these newer styles with Sneaky Pete on them?

me to...