G-TECH

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Does anyone have experience with the G-Tech accelerometer?
If so:
How accurate is it?
Is it worth $129.00?
Does it provide meaningful information or is it just a toy?
Thanks...</FONT f>

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact Sean Roe on the G-Tech's. He is set up with them so that he can give us a good deal. Plus his service can't be beat!!!

This is something that I'd like to have sometime. I briefly used the one in Sean's car when I test drove it. I was trying to see how many G's I could get with his brake system....

I hope that this helps!!!

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've been using it for street/dragracing and tuning, works perfect. Thu it does not give accurate figures on boosted engines. Will also try it on the Snowmobiles this winter, only need a battery pack.

/JP

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">JP,

Why would a boosted engine confuse the GTECH? If it's measuring acceleration force I don't see why a boosted engine would be any different than an unboosted one (except hopefully faster). I've also heard that power shifting affects it, which I guess makes a little more sense but it still should be able to handle it. </FONT f>

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend Mike Pavloff here in So. Calif. has one and swears by it. Says it is great and very accurate, you will probably hear from him once he sees your post.

Reaction score
G-TECH/Pro takes advantage of many different measurements that can be gathered from acceleration over time. For Horsepower measurement the user has to input the weight of the vehicle. We utilize what we call "Intuitive User Interface". To input weight all you have to do is simply tilt G-TECH/Pro up and the numbers will increase and if you tilt it down the numbers will decrease. Further you tilt it faster the numbers change.

In Horsepower mode G-TECH/Pro will display currently delivered horsepower during acceleration and then when you slow down it will display maximum delivered horsepower.
All the measurements are performed automatically. All you have to do is push the button indicating to G-TECH/Pro that you are ready and then G-TECH/Pro will zero-out and display -GO-. Then simply start accelerating. G-TECH/Pro will know your speed and distance at any given moment and stop the measurement at 60 mph or 1/4 mile point.

While measuring Lateral or Longitudinal G's user has the choice of Instantaneous or Continuous mode. Instantaneous G's are great for analyzing when tires lost traction during braking and cornering or measuring any other kind of G-load. Continuous G's are designed for standard Skidpad handling measurements of Lateral G's.

When measuring Braking distance in feet user doesn't have to start braking exactly at 60 mph. G-TECH/Pro knows the speed always and it will only measure distance from 60-0 mph even if you started braking at 65 mph for example.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use my G-Tech a fair amount for 0-60 runs. I've brought it to the drag strip a couple of times to compare ETs and trap speeds. ETs run 0.1-0.2 sec slower than the time slip, while trap speeds run around 2 mph faster than the time slip. This is explainable: the G-Tech starts timing once it senses that you're moving, and it stops once its determines that you've traveled 1/4 mile (by double integrating your acceleration). On the strip, however, the ET clock doesn't start until you pass the sensor just in front of the staging sensors. So, you're already moving once the ET clock begins. As for trap speed, the G-Tech just tells you your instantaneous speed at the 1/4 mile point, whereas trap speed at the track is an average of your speed before and after the finish line.

So, the bottom line is the G-Tech provides fairly accurate results, and what errors there are can be easily corrected because they're fairly repeatable. The biggest thing hindering utility is finding a flat enough (and unused enough) stretch of road. I find dyno mode to be fairly useless because of the effects of drag, the inability to find a nearby flat stretch of road on which I can wind the car out at least through 3rd gear, etc. In short, the dyno results cannot be compared to a chassis dyno.

Is it worth $129? Shoot, compared to other stuff for the Viper, that's virtually free! Yeah, the flexibility of extremegeez would be nice, especially for a physics ****** like me, but it does cost a lot more (and unless you're going to write your own post-processing software, there's additional $$ for their full-up software, I believe).

Reaction score
Has anyone used the GEEZ G-CUBE and related software? I am interested in data aquisition for road racing rather than drag applications and the GEEZ device sounds interesting. The biggest question I would have is how practical the external processing requirement makes the device. Depending on resolution, a 3 or 6 minute limitation seems like it might be a problem except when used on a very short track or autocross course. I would be interested in any comments or suggestions. Thanks

racewheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bought a g-cube last week to do some evaulation, the 3-6 lap limitation is a software issue that the geez people say they are working on an upgrade for (they're autox guy's, so the view of the world is in 45 second intervals). will be trying it out in the new ccw testmobile in the next week or so.