Garage floors

BigJag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's RaceDeck compare with some of these high-end coatings? It seems to be a bit cheaper as well as easier to self-install, but functionality matters (e.g., stain resistance, dropping heavy stuff on it, etc.).

No staining and it is virtually indestructable from what I can tell. Race Deck has a good warranty if you have a problem. I think it is lifetime but don't remember. Had mine in for about 5 years and no problems. I have jacked up cars on top of it but usually put a piece of plywood under the jack.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some nice looking floors. I have been debating what to put down on mine. A good friend of mine owns a title company. He put down ceramic title in his garages and it looks great.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did my floor with the UCoatit stuff and am very happy with the results. Like mentioned the key is the prep, spent a lot of time washing, scrubing and more scrubing of the floor before the acid cleaning... Floor looked better than when it was first poured.
The UCoatit stuff went on easy and looks great. Of course I didn't take any pics of it yet.... :(

I did the same... it was cheap and very easy to do yourself. Cost was $200 or so?

Sorry, don't have better pics... I'm very please with the results. I do my own oil also and have gotten some on it and it cleans right up.

You must be registered for see images attach

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, I just laid UCoatit down on my floor in fact it isn't even dry enough to park on yet. I put the clear coat on yesterday. You can come by and take a look if you want.

I did a ton of prep work grinding the floor with a diamond grinder, using paint stripper, patching cracks and holes, and a bunch of other stuff.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the racedeck tile before I did the premier job. I am even honored to be in alot of their promotional photos. My biggest complaint was it was harder to keep clean, even though they wiped right off, after a few winters they started to look worn. They weren't as comfortable on bare feet, and they were noisy. Other than that they were great and looked great.

181Garage_009_sm.jpg

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Making a move and looking for garage floor information, any suggestions on sealants / treatments / flooring that I should or shouldn't consider would be appreciated - note that I am looking for inexpensive and whatever is good for me since I change my own fluids and make a mess ;)

They did a great article comparing floor coverings in the most recent issue of Grassroots Motorsports. They weighed epoxy, polished concrete, racedeck tiles anf others but decided on epoxy for their application.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done the etch and color/wax/seal the concrete? They have alot of ways to color the concrete now and it looks great.
PBR

Last edited:

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the racedeck tile before I did the premier job. I am even honored to be in alot of their promotional photos. My biggest complaint was it was harder to keep clean, even though they wiped right off, after a few winters they started to look worn. They weren't as comfortable on bare feet, and they were noisy. Other than that they were great and looked great.

181Garage_009_sm.jpg

I Agree!! I have been in many garages with the racedeck flooring tiles . They look worn and the clickety-clack sound you get walking across the floor sounds cheap! My customers tell me they regret going with this type of floor. I would never have any race deck or similar flooing product in my garage. Go with VCT or Epoxy coating only.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, I just laid UCoatit down on my floor in fact it isn't even dry enough to park on yet. I put the clear coat on yesterday. You can come by and take a look if you want.

I did a ton of prep work grinding the floor with a diamond grinder, using paint stripper, patching cracks and holes, and a bunch of other stuff.

Cool, might have to do that. Sounds like a lot of work though...

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've gone that route also. Don't let them fool you into thinking it installs in minutes. Those rolls weight a ton. And, again, like the rackdeck, the little bumps make them a little harder to clean. I never took them out of the garage to clean as I only had them for a year, but I wouldn't think that would be real easy. It does look OK, but not as good as epoxy

Brad

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I Agree!! I have been in many garages with the racedeck flooring tiles . They look worn and the clickety-clack sound you get walking across the floor sounds cheap! My customers tell me they regret going with this type of floor. I

It was making a clickety-clack sound because they did not properly prep the surface before laying the tiles. The trick to a silent tile garage floor is to lay down a layer of roof felt paper on top of the concrete before laying down the tiles. Trim the felt an inch or two short of where the tiles will be so it will not be exposed.

For the really anal types like myself paint the concrete around the edge of the wall the same color as the outer trim tile pieces. Places like Home Depot will color match a gallon of paint if you take one of the tiles to them. I did this, including the roof felt paper, and it turned out great. You cannot even tell in the pics where the red tiles end and the red paint begins. I bought the tiles from floorjunkies.com.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all the various tiles options, wouldn't fluids, etc. seep down between the tiles and still stain the underlying garage floor?

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gone that route also. Don't let them fool you into thinking it installs in minutes. Those rolls weight a ton. And, again, like the rackdeck, the little bumps make them a little harder to clean. I never took them out of the garage to clean as I only had them for a year, but I wouldn't think that would be real easy. It does look OK, but not as good as epoxy

Brad

Yeah, the groves seemed like they might be harder to clean, but I use a blower from an air compressor and seems like it should be fine. Any other thoughts on those mats? Why did you use them for only a year?

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, the groves seemed like they might be harder to clean, but I use a blower from an air compressor and seems like it should be fine. Any other thoughts on those mats? Why did you use them for only a year?

It was a temporary rental, between homes. Sold the home with Racedeck tiles and rented for year, used mat, then new home, Premier Garage floor.

They seemed to hold up well, they do tend to scoot over time, get ripples, easy fix though.