Gen.5 Absent in 2014 MT Worlds Greatest Drag Race/Car of Year ????

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it was designed as a road course car and its recent competition variant outings show its dominance in that venue, I think it would almost demean the car to refer to it as a drag rac car. The Hellcat Challenger and Hellcat Charger will do Dodge's talking in that venue until such time as Dodge decides to produce a "Dragpak Viper". As I posted in another thread a while back, a dragpak Viper for those who race at the strip on a fairly regular basis could be produced by doing the following:

1. First gear ratio change.
2. A heavier duty clutch.
3. Suspension setting that allows the car to sit and squat on launch.
4. Slightly different engine callibration that allows a bit more midrange power.
5. Modified, insulated air intake to keep inlet air temp lower.
6. Maybe a different street tire.
7. Strip out some convenience and comfort features to lower weight.

If all of this was done, I would guesstimate it would result in a Viper that could run about 10.6 or so.

OP
OP
F

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes,but none of that(Drag Pack Viper) is done and Dodge has never advised they will make a Viper like this.So,that car does not exist.I believe the current TA should have been in the test as it could have/maybe run with the new Nismo GTR and Turbo S, except in the drag race of course. Yes ,as I have advised some, the Turbo S will put down very fast times on the road course also as demonstrated by tying the new Nismo GTR and destroying the Z 28 by 2 seconds on the road course.

Guess it was safer for Dodge to No Show then have issues or get beat again by the imports...... Well see next year if show up....

LouN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes,but none of that(Drag Pack Viper) is done and Dodge has never advised they will make a Viper like this.So,that car does not exist.I believe the current TA should have been in the test as it could have/maybe run with the new Nismo GTR and Turbo S, except in the drag race of course. Yes ,as I have advised some, the Turbo S will put down very fast times on the road course also as demonstrated by tying the new Nismo GTR and destroying the Z 28 by 2 seconds on the road course.

Guess it was safer for Dodge to No Show then have issues or get beat again by the imports...... Well see next year if show up....

As somebody else stated, MT only invites new or revised cars. They didn't no show, they were not invited. BTW I would have liked to see TA as we'll.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TA was not in the test as stated above because it was not invited to be in the test. The Viper is now at the top of its two road race version classes. That says more than keyboard races. Bruce's video posts show that the TA is more than a match for a PTurbo on a road course. Beating the new Z28 is no big deal. It is a great car but at 75K it is not in, or intended to be in, the same league as the TA and the other cars you mentioned. 2014 Porsche Turbo S - base price 149,250. 2015 Nissan GTR Nismo - base price 151,585. The TA, by far the best looking of the three and the fastest road course car is now 100,885.

The choice is obvious.

OP
OP
F

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saying, weather Dodge did not provide a Gen.5 or MT did not invite a Gen.5,a TA should have been in this test as the TA is revised over that issued Gen.5 that was in the first test.The results could have/would have helped the Gen.5 reputation with regular magazine reading people. These are exactly the people that the Viper needs to have buy them to survive. Not the very few people that all ready have them.I agree that the TA is a great deal at 100,000.00 ish ,as a new Turbo S base price is 182,700.00 and in Porsche fashion, their is nothing extra, so well equipped Turbo S is way over 200,000.00...

But,as you will see in the future, if Dodge updates the Viper,(if it survives) as Porsche does with the 911 ,the Viper will become more $$$$$ also.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang