Gen 5 wheel hop

SRT BILL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read all the other post on wheel hop but have not seen any on the gen 5. Does anybody have any new suggestions for this set up?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither of my Gen 5 cars have wheel hop. That is mostly driver error. Try lowering the rear tire psi to 28, and controlling the throttle more gradually.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen.4 wheel hopped bad...My lasted answer to wheel hop is a 2015 AWD/DCT/V 10 Lamborghini Huracan ..... 10.40@ 135 Car Driver and 10.60@ 133 Motor Trend just pushing the gas.......To new to play with yet,but amazingly it is faster than the DD Turbo S....

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had some on my gen3 and gen4, but that was mostly when I off wrong, like Tony says, most wheel hop is a result of driver error. Unless you have a 2003/4 Cobra mustang, in which case it's he joke of an IRS.

Gen5, 1,000 miles and so far not a hint of wheel hop.

OP
OP
SRT BILL

SRT BILL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info, truth be known I've only driven it with the the traction control on. I'll give a try with it off and see how it responds. I would get the hop from a slow roll when I would apply heavy throttle of course I backed off right away. If anyone else has any driving tips I'm all ears. I've had several corvette's in the past and currently have a jeep SRT8 but this is my first Viper and this is a lot of addition power.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had wheel hop on my Gen 4, replaced the stock shocks/springs with an MCS/Eibach setup. Haven't had wheel hop since.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen.4 wheel hopped bad...My lasted answer to wheel hop is a 2015 AWD/DCT/V 10 Lamborghini Huracan ..... 10.40@ 135 Car Driver and 10.60@ 133 Motor Trend just pushing the gas.......To new to play with yet,but amazingly it is faster than the DD Turbo S....

What cars do you own again?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What cars do you own again?

OK, first, LOL.

But I agree with the advice he's giving, for some people. One way to avoid any wheel hop is to buy a car that requires zero driving skill to operate and put the car in the hands of the 'puter. Nothing wrong with that if you're into it. I think the Porsche Turbo S is the same way, if only someone could comment on that car for us too.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why poke the weasel?

OK, first, LOL.

But I agree with the advice he's giving, for some people. One way to avoid any wheel hop is to buy a car that requires zero driving skill to operate and put the car in the hands of the 'puter. Nothing wrong with that if you're into it. I think the Porsche Turbo S is the same way, if only someone could comment on that car for us too.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly DMan,Wheel Hop on Vipers from a drag racing start is very difficult to over come with street tires. I hated it on the 3 Vipers/ZR1,ZO6s I owned as it destroys the drive train.My friends broke many half shafts and other things due to bad wheel hop.It can also occur going in second gear.Vipers were fantastic HP cars in their day,however,the new hi tect cars will leave them ever time now a days.

The way to overcome wheel hop in a Viper is get slicks , come off the line slipping the clutch(destroys clutch) or just come off easy and roll on the power...

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya,I will leave the Turbo S thing alone for now,but standby for some feed back on the new Lamborghini Huracan....All for fun.....

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have the base non adjustable suspension? I was told it is more prone to wheel hop than the adjustable version.

OP
OP
SRT BILL

SRT BILL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gregnice I have a GTS with traction control and experienced the wheel hop with the system on. I'm going to try TRH1962 suggestion and try with the system off. Also 9Ball suggested to trying rolling on the throttle a little slower. As soon as the weather gets a little better here I'll give it a try..Also it has been suggested that the cold temp of the tires could also have caused this hop.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has the electronic adjustable suspension and I've had ZERO wheel hop with 2 track days, in either mode, and plenty of fun behind me and pushing great power with Belangers and the Arrow Race PCM, I can't comment on the base suspension, haven't driven one yet.

Past vipers I've had wheel hop when I was sloppy, this gen5 is very different from my prev 3 vipers.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why poke the weasel?

It was only a little poke, I did mean what I said & agree, if wheel hop is getting the better of you then there are much easier cars to drive. But on the gen5 I've not felt any hop or any instability in the rear at all at any speed, min feels railed on track and solid as a rock when playing around. I do also have aero though, that may be helping on the track at speed a bit in making the rear feel so locked in.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya,I will leave the Turbo S thing alone for now,but standby for some feed back on the new Lamborghini Huracan....All for fun.....
Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S Lamborghini turbo S

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful ,typing Lamborghini Huracan that many times may cause you or others to go look and drive one and then you will hurt your checkbook pretty bad as I did....Best $$$$ I ever spent on a car for sure..

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wheel hop is not driver error in the Viper. These cars are prone to wheel hop depending on driving conditions

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wheel hop is not driver error in the Viper. These cars are prone to wheel hop depending on driving conditions

While it isn't necessarily driver error, riding it out is. That's what usually causes damage. It can also be fixed with properly damped shocks/stiffer springs.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If we're talking gen5's, I guess I have the one that's not prone to it. Lucky I guess

If we're talking previous gens, then I say driver error because, I've had wheel hop in mustang, CTS-V, BMW M3/M5, gen2/3/4 viper, Porsche 930 and those are cars I've owned and can remember dealing with wheel hop, any IRS car can be said to be prone to it, the error comes in to play in that you learn quickly where the hop occurs and you drive below or over it, if you keep creating wheel hop in your car, you need someone to give you some pointers. It's no different than driving around any other constraint of the car, g limit, braking, etc. It's easy & comforting to blame a car though.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard tires
Worn shocks
Hard drivers

If we're talking gen5's, I guess I have the one that's not prone to it. Lucky I guess

If we're talking previous gens, then I say driver error because, I've had wheel hop in mustang, CTS-V, BMW M3/M5, gen2/3/4 viper, Porsche 930 and those are cars I've owned and can remember dealing with wheel hop, any IRS car can be said to be prone to it, the error comes in to play in that you learn quickly where the hop occurs and you drive below or over it, if you keep creating wheel hop in your car, you need someone to give you some pointers. It's no different than driving around any other constraint of the car, g limit, braking, etc. It's easy & comforting to blame a car though.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but I have to disagree. I have also owned 911's, E63's, Z06's, BMW's and a Gen III and IV Viper and I have only experienced wheel hop in the Vipers. Now I do admit I experience LESS in my Gen V than the Gen III and IV. And of course I have learned to drive around it but that doesn't necessarily bring out the fastest track or 1/4 mile times. Now I understand you can create wheel hop in any car but the Vipers are more prone to do it unintentionally. I either have to shift before I want to or ease into the throttle to avoid the wheel hop sometimes falling short of the power band of the engine. Never had to adjust my driving habits in the above cars mentioned. But I still wouldn't trade in my Gen V.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only time I ever have wheel hop in my Gen V is when I am fresh out of the garage on cold tires and give it a bit of a go. Once warmed up, thats not an issue at all.

Reaction score
Wheel hop in the Gen2/4 cars was eliminated greatly by switching to our motor mounts, the factory soft mounts would flex and release energy popping the tires loose over and over (hop), the MCS shocks and springs eliminated the rest of it. The Gen5 motor mounts being hydraulic get stiffer with increased vibration (rpm?) so it is not as bad as the past cars apparently, which is a good thing since they are totally different from the other cars and no one has done a mount for them. The small amount on the G5 cars can be eliminated still by the MCS.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but I have to disagree. I have also owned 911's, E63's, Z06's, BMW's and a Gen III and IV Viper and I have only experienced wheel hop in the Vipers. Now I do admit I experience LESS in my Gen V than the Gen III and IV. And of course I have learned to drive around it but that doesn't necessarily bring out the fastest track or 1/4 mile times. Now I understand you can create wheel hop in any car but the Vipers are more prone to do it unintentionally. I either have to shift before I want to or ease into the throttle to avoid the wheel hop sometimes falling short of the power band of the engine. Never had to adjust my driving habits in the above cars mentioned. But I still wouldn't trade in my Gen V.

It's not out of the realm of possibility you could have something wrong with the car. We all love these gen5's, but they're not exactly proving to be 99.999% perfect. Maybe double check your shocks, I see plenty of posts in both communities of bad shocks. Never know, if it's as bad as it seems, then it may be something with your car, honestly I have zero issues, just went & played with it yesterday to see if I could get wheel hop & nada. Which tires do you have on your car Corsa's or .. that could be the reason too that our cars are different, tires can cause or cure it.

In ranking of worst to least for me - CTS-V (bad, but could drive around it), 2003 Cobra (redid whole suspension), then gen4 (woodhouse mounts stopped it), then oddly the gen3 (gen4 was worse, but again swap to all woodhouse mounts stopped it), then the others. My gen5 & GT500 have zero, thank god.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither of my Gen 5 cars have wheel hop. That is mostly driver error. Try lowering the rear tire psi to 28, and controlling the throttle more gradually.

agree with this, nine ball knows. its all driver.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do actually have to make an appointment for some unidentified noise in the rear passenger side. Sounds like the whole trunk clatters when I go over a dip in the road. Sound is quite load. I initially thought it was the plastic back of the passenger seat hitting but it sounds more metallic. Could be a blown out shock.
It's not out of the realm of possibility you could have something wrong with the car. We all love these gen5's, but they're not exactly proving to be 99.999% perfect. Maybe double check your shocks, I see plenty of posts in both communities of bad shocks. Never know, if it's as bad as it seems, then it may be something with your car, honestly I have zero issues, just went & played with it yesterday to see if I could get wheel hop & nada. Which tires do you have on your car Corsa's or .. that could be the reason too that our cars are different, tires can cause or cure it.

In ranking of worst to least for me - CTS-V (bad, but could drive around it), 2003 Cobra (redid whole suspension), then gen4 (woodhouse mounts stopped it), then oddly the gen3 (gen4 was worse, but again swap to all woodhouse mounts stopped it), then the others. My gen5 & GT500 have zero, thank god.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if you ease off the clutch in 1st gear, feather the throttle, then disengage the clutch completely and you accelerate moderately to say 30moh then floor it and she wheel hops at 55mph @4,500 well before redline this is driver error?? Assuming tires are warmed up, street is warm and temps are fine?? Controlling the throttle gradually doesn't utilize all the power the Viper has.
agree with this, nine ball knows. its all driver.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if you ease off the clutch in 1st gear, feather the throttle, then disengage the clutch completely and you accelerate moderately to say 30moh then floor it and she wheel hops at 55mph @4,500 well before redline this is driver error?? Assuming tires are warmed up, street is warm and temps are fine?? Controlling the throttle gradually doesn't utilize all the power the Viper has.

My car doesn't do this. What tires and suspension do you have? I ask cause I'm wondering if maybe base cars, with base suspension and base tires are an issue ... I haven't driven a base car so I don't know, I can only say that my Corsa/Track Pack/ElectSuspension car doesn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper