Gen 5's at Road Atlanta with Chin Aug 23 and 24

lawdogg149

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see that there are three others listed with me to attend Chin Motorsports Aug 23 and 24 Road Atlanta track days. Anyone on here one of the other three??

OP
OP
L

lawdogg149

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im only going to be able to make it for the 1 day sunday. Hope the weather holds up. Looking forward to seeing the differences in what the viper has to offer compared to the many other cars I have ran on Old Road Atlanta. Looks as if Chin has allowed more than usual to register for the event though so its going to be crowded.

TrackratViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you will be fine on Sunday as the crowd usually thins out a bit on the second day.

If by "old Road Atlanta" you mean prior to the chicane on the backside, the track has changed somewhat. Its not quite as fast or scary. I ran the old track without the chicane during the 1993 Valvoline Runoffs (dating myself here) so I know what you mean.

OP
OP
L

lawdogg149

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lets hope so. I just refer to it as ol rd atl because it has become my home track. I have easily over 2000 laps here. I have only one concern with this viper. My car is the 2014 SRT with the advance aero and hyper 2 wheels and corsa tires. But I am missing the suspension and brakes the TA have. Really worried of about the braking before 10A and 10B. I know in my C7 and prior cars I have been in the 155 to 160 mph range only lifting once I pass the crest and start the down hill into 10a. How well these brakes will work is my biggest concern. I have tried to locate at least the stop tech rotors and only found them through mopar at $700 each. Anyhow we will get her dialed in and hope to see some of my best lap times fall to the viper. Cant wait my friend going to be a blast.

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper really missed an opportunity here. Had the race in hand but poor pit strategy cost them the win.

TrackratViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a somewhat belated update on the Chin Motorsports event on Road Atlanta's challenging and fast road course. Four Vipers were there. Three were gen V's (two of which were orange TAs) and a terrific looking ACR that was yellow with black stripes. The ACR was in the novice group with the remainder in the advanced group. A good friend of mine was his instructor all weekend and commented about how well the driver was progressing. I suspect he will be moving up to the next level soon if he hasn't already.

Saturday has hot. The air temp in the afternoon was about 96 degrees and the track temp got into the 130s. Sunday had some cloud cover so the temperatures were a bit less. Rain was expected, but other than a few drops it didn't happen. The hot temperatures really effected engine power output and, of course, made the track a little slippery in the afternoon.

My TA ran well all weekend as did all of the others as far as I could tell. The Gen V non TA did get a code for a intake map sensor (If I recall correctly). We cleared the code and it did not come back as far as I know. I followed the other TA in one session and he was pretty well able to walk away from me. I am still using the stock tires and brake pads. He had Hoosiers, aftermarket pads and some chassis mods. He was very quick. Guess its time for me to put on the Hoosiers and Carbotech pads. While the stock tires and pads are pretty good, I am convinced that these upgrades will make a huge difference. Now if I can just upgrade the driving skills!

Road Atlanta is an awesome track but one that commands a lot of respect. The speeds are high and some of the walls pretty close. On Saturday I came up on a BMW sedan in turn 3. He went in way too hot, stabbed the brakes which shifted the weight to the front tires. The rear end came around on him and he hit the Armco barrier pretty hard. The driver was fine but the Bimmer will need new sheetmetal including front fender, door and quarterpanel. No doubt a very hard and expensive lesson.

This was my sixth HPDE weekend in the TA. I have had it at Sebring, Barber and Road Atlanta. Since this is my first Viper, I have used the stock tires and pads at all of the events. I did put Motul 600 brake fluid in and am using Mobil 1 15w50 in the engine. The car has headers, a Teamtech harness and a tow hook, I have always thought the way to learn to drive a car is to drive it on street radials. This has worked pretty well except I did blister the left front tire at Barber and had to replace it. The Hoosiers and Carbotechs will go on before our next event this month at Barber. The under hood temperatures on the Viper seem to be quite high. We removed the engine beauty covers and this seemed to help a bit. Before their removal I was getting some codes for random engine misfires. The dealer could find nothing wrong. Since the beauty covers came off I have not had anymore codes. Who knows!

I have done a lot of track day events with various organizations. I really like the Chin events as they are well organized and generally run on time. Safety is a big deal for them as well. I hope to see more Vipers at future events.

OP
OP
L

lawdogg149

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yelp great time till my car broke. Going from the Vette's over to the viper is indeed different. A few concerns is the PVC oil issue I had. Took the dealer two days to clean all the oil off the engine and under carriage.

Also I have learned the vipers are indeed more front brake bias than the rear. Pretty spooky to be 160 mph and try to brake for turn 10a to have your rear raise up and the car wiggle coming done the hill. Seems the rear brakes need to be a little more aggressive to plant the car.

Car handled really well. Never got passed for the whole day that was a bonus.

Uploaded some youtube videos. Not sure how to put on here but search Lawdogg149. There is three from the weekend I made