Gen II questions

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If these can be answered by being a member and thusly viewing the Grail and DIY sections, i can wait.

1. Rear turn signals, ive seen some with clear on both turns and backup lamps, but i cant seem to find them?
2. Would an RT/10 subwoofer section/panel fit a GTS to place a sub between the seats? Where are the subs in the GTS?
3. I saw a 97 TT with carbon fiber side sills, but they went all the way up the pillar.. where to get? Or was it an overlay?
4. I read the DIY FAQ on the 'other' site about big brakes (moving the fronts to the rears etc) but im not sure i want to permanently mod the rear suspension like that.
5. If i end up with a creampuff, im sure ill throw in a .708 cam, while im in there, put in some 1.7 rockers and something else (rods and slugs later too, or just slugs?)? Ported intake mani? Ive decided i should probably get an unmodded car because you truly never know what the car has been through. This will also lower the price significantly.
6. Im seeing/reading about SCT handhelds, so im guessing the ECU's are 'tunable'? Or should i stick with a ROE tuner and tunes?

Im sure ill have other questions later. :)

Geronimo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy one that has some tasteful mods , headers, bigger brakes. Essentially bolt ons. Let someone else lose on this investment. You're probably going to do it anyway unless you are an all stock guy which imo is boring which you don't sound like you are.

OP
OP
T

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy one that has some tasteful mods , headers, bigger brakes. Essentially bolt ons. Let someone else lose on this investment. You're probably going to do it anyway unless you are an all stock guy which imo is boring which you don't sound like you are.

Well, that was my idea at first, but someone made a comment and it made me think. Im not dead set on dead stock and it wouldnt stay that way long, just cause its not modded doesnt mean it was cared for either. I have my eye on a couple ones in the lower price range that have a few things done, but i also remember the excitement i got from making minimal mods and getting great gains on my Talon back in the day and after reading the MotoIQ GTS Project car write-up, i, fairly certain the Vipers are nearly the same way with responses to little things.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Aftermarket
2. Two speakers (and tweeters) in the doors and two speakers in the hatch. People usually throw subs in the hatch.
3. No clue.
4. Worth it. Nobody likes the stock rear brakes.
5. That's all good, but look for a car that already has this work to save you time, money and energy. If you're swapping cams, it's likely worth the effort to go aftermarket over 708.
6. SCT

OP
OP
T

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Aftermarket
2. Two speakers (and tweeters) in the doors and two speakers in the hatch. People usually throw subs in the hatch.
3. No clue.
4. Worth it. Nobody likes the stock rear brakes.
5. That's all good, but look for a car that already has this work to save you time, money and energy. If you're swapping cams, it's likely worth the effort to go aftermarket over 708.
6. SCT

So no subs in the GTS, odd, ok thanks.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. aftermrket, id start with jonB
2. never cared about sound other than engine in a viper
3. no idea what the heck you are talking about here. sills up pillars ?
4. I read the DIY FAQ on the 'other' site about big brakes (moving the fronts to the rears etc) but im not sure i want to permanently mod the rear suspension like that.
5. there are better cams than the 708, port the heads while doing cam. Make sure and do your due dillegence on the car and do a leakdown test as these cars are getting old and CR isnt enough info on an engine. buying a modded car from someone on these boards who took car of it is the way to go IMO
6. SCT all the way

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Enough have responded.
2. The panel will fit, you would loose the storage bin and probably have to run wires back. The subs are in the truck in the GTS. If you alter the speaker configuration, you would need to change the setting on the factor amp from C to R. C= Coupe, R= Roadster It changes the output of rear speakers accordingly.
3. Assume you are talking about the sill covers? There are two types, one if made of carbon fiber and gets held down by the sill plugs and two sided tape. The others out there are vinyl sheets that stick on. I have the actual carbon fiber ones, but those were really hard to get a hold off 10 years ago, let alone now. I can see if I can upload some pics.
4. There are brake upgrades that do not require modifying the suspension.
5. Creampuff engine has better pistons that earlier engines, unless you are going to boost (turbo/supercharger). If you do the cam swap, you will have to either re-program PCM or change PCM or you will get misfire codes do the valve overlap of cam.
6. Can't go wrong with either. SCT is probably more user friendly. I have one but have never installed it. I have heard great things about Sean Roe and the support they give.

OP
OP
T

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Looks like i may have to go really cheap (due to med bills and health insurance wanting reimbursed) in order to keep from blowing all the settlement at once or ending up with a $800 payment for 60 months. THis kinda lands me in Gen III territory, assuming the only 1 or 2 97's im looking at are even available and not total basket cases.

Will update more as i know more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper