Gen V competition?

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. The new Vette will get Direct Injection. Very cool addition. Wish the Viper got that bit of tech this time around. Maybe next time...Still just cant warm up to that Vette rear end though. I see they listed the Viper as the base Vettes competition. Nonsense of course as its more in competition with the other cars they mention like the M3/Cayman S etc. The upcoming Z06 will be the competition for the Viper...

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, it will not be competition in this configuration. However, the vette is moving forward in terms of technology. That is not the final rear end.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, it will not be competition in this configuration. However, the vette is moving forward in terms of technology. That is not the final rear end.

Thank goodness. I hope they make a rear end that is cohesive with the front of the car if they are going with that front. Those renders have the front and back looking like they are from two different cars.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
450 hp and 450 lb ft in the base car is nothing to sneeze at. However, the Viper made this horsepower, and better torque (490 lb ft) 10 year ago.

Now styling - Ferrari 599 anyone? I mean it's a direct copy.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front=f car rear=camaro =fail. They are mass produced, dime a dozen, see them on the road constantly & they drop like rocks in value. My C6 lost 50% in under 2 years. There's no comparison with the snake. ZR1 sure.

Reaction score
I have read that the C7 will have an option for the newest PSC2 version which is supposedly much improved over the PSC. Also the spy shots suggest the tail lights are still the typical round versions.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car is beautiful!! The terrible look of the camo cars had me worried. Back end looks a little busy, and the car will probably have round tail lights not square ones.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car is beautiful!! The terrible look of the camo cars had me worried. Back end looks a little busy, and the car will probably have round tail lights not square ones.

Beauty is on the eye of the beholder. I think the renderings are fairly ugly. The nose isn't bad, but some elements including the side gill look ricer to me (GT-R) and the a$$ is fugly IMHO. I hope GM does better.

But then again, I saw some pretty horrid Gen V Viper renderings before the official unveiling of the badass work of art that SRT delivered.

It won't be long until the real Corvette is unveiled. I hope GM does good, I do like Corvettes for all they've accomplished on the track, and competition is healthy.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like it or not if the MSRP is around 55K that's a lot of car for the money.
And the Z06 and ZR1 C7 varient will have their sights firmly fixed on the Gen 5 with lots of time to tweak it.
You can bet they will stop at nothing to outperform it on paper and the track.

bigmack339

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Jalopneck, or whatever the name, has the real C7 Corvette images from the manual, then SRT wins based on design alone. Those vette images are true fails.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the C7 reveal, I hope it's a hottie. The ZR1 looks grew on me, not enough to buy, but I "like" it. Of course the perf is incredible, really in all the vette models at their levels, they are impressive by all rights. If there was a ZR1 vert, I'd be on the fence for that ... I just don't like the "window" hood, way goofy IMO, but hopefully they'll move from that to some cool ducting/venting design. Fingers crossed, always rooting for the red, white & blue and the vette is another great engineering feat from the good ole US of A.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's horrible, doubt it looks anything like that. That's a camaro rear end and the Vette doesn't taper from the rear wheels back. That will look horrific on a ZR1 or Z06 with wider fenders.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that does it! Ralph, you might have to inject an extra 60 HP into the Viper, purely on the basis so we never have a chance to have to look at that ugly rear end EVER.

I am NOT a vette guy though some of the vettes over the years have looked pretty good and I can respect the performance numbers, base car value, etc. but there is nothing on those renderings or that picture that speaks to me, even in the slightest. That is just horrible, I am sorry. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but that is someone with only one eye (with a patch on it) and the other eye is laying in a pile of runny dog $%^&. If I was a vette guy, I would be pretty worried right now. Motor Trend article or not, there may be a bunch of converts when that gets released.

Surely Chevy can't be that stupid could they? Anyway additional new Competition was unveiled in LA Autoshow as Saleen is producing the S351 again and at 700 HP, it will have some takers:

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=265afead2fd7ab78c193bb972&id=6741c6bb32

Also in speaking directly with Steve, a brand new Saleen S5 (S7's Successor) is nearing completion and will be released in mid-2013. From the few hints he dropped, it is going to fit right in the $150K to $200K market point pretty well. Should be interesting.

Last edited:

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently 300lb saved off the new C7 as well.
Also if the pic above is the actual rear, that looks way better than the mock up's seen so far!
Stock 450/450 should give an easy 500+ with some tweaking.
Fuel economy orders of magnitude higher than the viper as well.
Should be an interesting 6 months for US sports car fans.