Gen1 dash removal and painting?

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks All.

PS, just a little tip for everyone....Black obviously shows scratches pretty easily and you can't just sand/buff satin without it looking funny. I found that I had already put a little scratch on the dash near the turn signal area during installation. You can go over it with a little black shoe polish...and it vanishes!

canuckviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone please explain how to remove the radio surround bezel/**** surround. Does it just pull off or any screws holding it? Any tips on removing it. Any help appreciated. Kinda new here.

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, its really easy, but for the life of me i can't remember right now. when i get home tonight i'll take a look and ping you back, unless someone else beats me too it...

try doing a search, i'm pretty sure i saw a write up in here somewhere.... it tells where all the screws are, how to remove the wiper switch, etc.... I think all thats needed is to pull straight up on the horizontal part, and pull towards you when you get around the stereo. its all clips, no screws..... I THINK!

if your going to remove the dash as well, make sure you read on how to remove the wiper switch!!!

ifs its been more than a week, i've forgotten... : )

Can someone please explain how to remove the radio surround bezel/**** surround. Does it just pull off or any screws holding it? Any tips on removing it. Any help appreciated. Kinda new here.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The radio bezel has all clips....and some "velcro" at the corners by the shifter.

To just remove the radio bezel, the headlight switch doesn't have to be removed..but to pull the dash...

The headlight switch shaft needs to be removed...if memory serves you insert an awl, paper clip or similar into a hole in the bottom of the switch to release the knob/shaft.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bezel ....lift up from the shift area and the clips (just forward from the shifter) should tug free. Then pull the radio surround area toward the rear window.... Piece-of-cake !

Cheers

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice, post pix before and after, i've added some photos of my after in this thread or and other threads. it really is easy to take apart, etc. ping us if you have any questions...

You might regret that offer because I'm not a mechanic by any means so I'll probably have questions. :D

canuckviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a different position than most. 2 years ago I needed my clutch replaced on my 94 viper. When I went to pick up I was horrified by a 3 inch scratch on my dash. The service manager agreed to replace the dash and they did. Good news...the new dash did not have the fuzzy finish but a nice smooth grey finish. Bad news....I still had fuzzy finish on glove box, door handle surrounds etc. Well he agreed to replace all of those. Bad news...they couldn't get the radio/shifter surround bezel so stuck with the fuzzy stuff there. I decided to use a stainless steel trim piece over the radio and shifter bezels but need to remove fuzzy finish and its easier to remove this piece and finish it. Thanks for the tips. I'll remove it and try oven cleaner and steel wool to remove the fuzzy stuff on the shifter bezel so the stainless steel trim will stick permanently. I've also replaced the cigarette lighter and heater knobs with chrome ones and it really it really improves the look

Last edited:

tacodan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chad. Just read your post of 03/11/2012,concerning dash.Going to redo mine.'94 rt/10,red,11,000 mi.I'm just the second owner,car's never been in rain,windshield wipers never turned on,always garaged or warehoused and covered.You might not want to tell me,but how would I go about documenting.The previous owner is a good friend and a car dealership owner.I've owned the car 1 year.Thanks,Dan(tacodan)

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was tossing this idea around too, paint, carbon fiber, etc. I think I'm going to have my buddy Marc wrap it in this "carbon fiber", he did a test piece, (door bezel), and it looks great, (pic). He will remove the dash, and the radio surround too, it's a bit textured, semi-gloss finish and 6 mil thick......we'll see.
You must be registered for see images

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks good.......at Road Atl this year for Viper/Narra days, there was guy with a '95 Viper, he wrapped his dash and radio surrounding bezel with the Carbon Fiber. His looked good, but I don't think it was textured like yours, which I think will look alot better.

Post pics when your done..

steve

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen