Gen2 RT/10 wiring behind dashboard debug difficult?

2001rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi folks.

The driver's side window won't go back up. Confirmed the switch is good by swapping switches and was able to operate passenger side window with both. No voltage at window motor so problem is believed to be in the wiring behind the dashboard.

How difficult is it to remove the dashboard to get at the wiring for more debug? Any other suggestions?

Almost never need to roll the window up here near San Diego but of course it breaks right when we start to get a little rain. Argh! Really want to take the Viper to Radwood SoCal in 2 weeks and my normal weekly drives.

Thanks for any help......

-Dalton
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

GregVP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you check for power at the switch. The wires in the wire harness entering the door are known to become broken. Good luck.

GregVP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Power runs through a 25A Circuit Breaker to both window switches. Check for power at the switch and check both grounds at switch plug. One ground for up and one for down. Try wiggling the wire harness where it enters the door and see if you get a reaction.

texasviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car on the driver’s side window did the same thing. There were broken wires in the flexible rubber tube between the door and the door jam. Replaced with more flexible wire and it’s been working for over 10 years.

GregVP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have power and good grounds to the switch and the switch is good there is one more test you can do before working on the wires between the door and door jam if you choose. There is a large green connector under the dash where your left knee is. Disconnect the connector and check for power at the # 1and 9 pin on the main harness while toggling the switch. You can also check the door wire harness for a break using a voltmeter on the ohms setting. Probe the #1 and 9 cavity on the door connector and the wire on the motor for continuity.

OP
OP

2001rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great advice!
I took off the door panel and water dam and played around with wires.
The door lock and interior light seem work intermediately if I shake the wires a bit. The window motor to didn't move at all no matter what. The "accordian" protector for the wires at the door hinge is gone. So all signs point to broken or nearly broken wires in that area. I couldn't trace it down to exactly where it's broken so I'm going to take it to a mechanic who's familiar with Vipers this week.

GregPV, are you talking about the OBDII connector? I can try that tonight...probably won't be able to fix it myself but I guess if I can save the mechanic a little time by narrowing down where the problem is that's a win for me.

GregVP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No not the OBDII . It’s a green connector just above the OBDII fastened to the dash just above the bottom lip, not easy to access. Sounds like you’re door harness though. Good luck.