Getting ready for 3000 mile Trip

OP
OP
N

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was running my runcraps at 29psi, what tire pressure do you guys suggest for the PS2's.

Filter - Check along with 2 extra qts of oil.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
I've done a few longish road trips in my Viper. I bring a big bag of jerky, a box of Montecristo No. 5's, a stack of rock CDs, and I stop every hour for a peach or strawberry milkshake, depending upon availability.

Great time.

You'll get countless honks and thumbs-ups from people on the highway along the way, and I usually score at least one boob flash per day.

I personally find the Viper very comfortable to drive long distances in.

But man, windows down, back window open, warm air flowing, smoking a Monty, cruising 120 MPH north on I-27 through the sugarcane fields of Florida, blaring Metallica with not another person in sight is a good time.

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was running my runcraps at 29psi, what tire pressure do you guys suggest for the PS2's.

I made the trip to Asheville (from Toronto) last year - fabulous run down I-79 and I-77. 8 of us from the Ontario Club plan a return in late August (Biltmore, Tail of The Dragon, etc.).

After 10,000 miles on my '08 (mostly highway) I find 31 psi (cold) in my PS2s (front and rear) more comfortable for everyday use than the factory-recommended 29 psi. You could probably go higher than 31 for a long highway run; you'll get better gas mileage due to improved coasting, which is a fact of life with my '08 as I tend to creep up well over posted speed limits (especially downhill) after an hour or so on the road. I've had no sacrifice of handling/braking with higher psi and less road/tire noise.

I'd also suggest to drive in daylight and no longer than 8 hours per day. I made the mistake of doing the Asheville/Toronto return trip in one run and, after ~10 hours, was so horizon focused that I didn't notice a deer carcass that appeared out of nowhere after a car in front of me pulled over. I was doing 80 mph and ran right over it, spitting it out the back, but not before catching a rib cage in the diff vent in the floor pan - BBQ'd it good. After extraction, a very detailed cleaning was needed. Only damage to the car was a $30 plastic sacrifice strip under the nose.

The other reason for limiting driving time is what I'll call "the Viper factor": the car is so stable at high speeds that 60 feels like 20 and 100 feels like 50. After 2 or 3 hours on 79, and 77, I was very comfortable cruising at 90/100 (~2,500 RPM in 6th) and repeatedly had to remind myself to pay attention to the speedo.

Car is built like a tank and loves the open road; just keep your eyes on the gauges (mine didn't move once, regardless of altitude, speed, outside heat or traffic flow) and make sure the a/c is also directed to your feet.

Enjoy.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But don't bring a cooler full of drinks because, as we all know, these cars don't have cup holders. :omg:

Bob

:rolleyes: if you don't smoke in the viper...its a cup holder

Anyway, I picked up my viper from West Palm Beach, FL and drove up the east coast to Myrtile Beach, NC then home to WI. It was a very comfortable ride. Plan on going out west in a couple weeks. Some of those Westerns please give me some good attractions to go!!!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am not a guy but I will respond if that's ok:)

I always start out at 35 psi (cold) fronts, 33-34 psi (cold) for rears with my PS2's...I run them on the street and at the track. I talked to a Hoosier rep that was at Mid OH, he said he always recommends a higher psi for street tires (cold), if you go too low your sidewalls get toooo soft. Max for this tire btw is 44 psi.

Example:

I started out at 30 psi (cold) at Mid OH, PS2's.
Came in after 20 min session at 44 hot, car was ALL over the track, could NOT get any traction! I lowered the psi AGAIN, STILL no traction, felt even worse.

Next session-started out at 35 psi (cold) fronts, 33-34 (cold) rears
Came in in after 20 min session at 39 hot, lots of traction, car handled VERY well.

I know that's track conditions, but it gives you an idea of how great this tire does if the pressure is set correctly.

GavinM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you are MORE than prepared; have fun and enjoy the trip!!

I did 3500 miles in 10 days in my 01.....

Buffalo --> chicago --> st louis ---> kansas city --> denver --> vegas ---> beverly hills --> back to vegas ---> shipped car home!

only problem i had was a dead battery that started its way out in nevada and ended in california - was a brand new one i got before the trip!! luckily found a great little joint that changed the battery out while the car was still running!!

i used alot of the cargo space for car cleaning supplies - and washed it at every stop -- since i was traveling with a buddy we didnt ahve enough room so we shipped luggage to the vegas hotel!!

these guys are right - the car soaks up the miles no problem and peoples reactions are priceless - especially with the out of state plates.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the electronics and computers in the modern cars I was warned to not disconnect the battery while the car was running. I don't remember the logic behind that warning now but it seemed reasonable at the time.

Anybody care to shout me down?

Bob

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
cash84,

Not from the west but my favorite "western" places were Arches National Park, Monument Valley, and Bryce Canyon. Awesome.

Sweet sounds interesting. I gotta look those up. I found some spots like the Mt rushmore and yellowstone, redwoods, hollywood, LA, etc. Thanks!!

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started out at 30 psi (cold) at Mid OH, PS2's.
Came in after 20 min session at 44 hot, car was ALL over the track, could NOT get any traction! I lowered the psi AGAIN, STILL no traction, felt even worse.

I'm glad that adjusting the tire pressure worked out for you. However, for most folks with these symptoms, I'd strongly recommend checking the age of the tires. Tires that are too old become hard and lose traction. I learned this the hard way, spinning out several times before I figured out that 7 year old tires just won't cut it, regardless of tread. This is also true for tires that have been heat-cycled too many times, but that's a lot harder to check for. The tire age is coded right on the side off the tire, so it's easy to check. My rule of thumb is not to track tires over 4 years old - in fact just get rid of them. And you can't go by purchase date either, since many tires are warehoused for years before sale.

With all the electronics and computers in the modern cars I was warned to not disconnect the battery while the car was running. I don't remember the logic behind that warning now but it seemed reasonable at the time.

You are correct. Most modern cars have alternators, which if disconnected from load (i.e. battery) when running will likely short-out the output diodes. You can get diode-protectors which install across the alternator terminals and provide a no-load path for current to flow, but be sure they're rated for the output of your alternator, or you'll just burn them out too.

OP
OP
N

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Made the whole trip with nothing but a rock chip in the windshield.

When i pulled back in the driveway I had put on just over 2700 miles.

The trip was great, I only saw 1 viper the whole time. The best part was it was also a copperhead.

The bra did its job and kept all the bug guts off the front bumper, and the V1 saved me from at least 5 tickets.

It was a great trip and would do it again. Besides stretching my legs, it was almost as smooth as taking my 300 SRT8.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took a 2000 mile trip last year in two days with no preparation - no issues. As in any other car, take a break for a few minutes after a couple of hours. Get out and get the circulation going a little. The seats can be too comfortable and not remind you to get out often enough! The car will get very dirty, especially on the nose.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done a few longish road trips in my Viper. I bring a big bag of jerky, a box of Montecristo No. 5's, a stack of rock CDs, and I stop every hour for a peach or strawberry milkshake, depending upon availability.

Great time.

You'll get countless honks and thumbs-ups from people on the highway along the way, and I usually score at least one boob flash per day.

I personally find the Viper very comfortable to drive long distances in.

But man, windows down, back window open, warm air flowing, smoking a Monty, cruising 120 MPH north on I-27 through the sugarcane fields of Florida, blaring Metallica with not another person in sight is a good time.

I'm sold!! This is obviously a man who knows how to enjoy the drive.

OP
OP
N

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this Chris's old copperhead?

Yes this is Chris old copperhead, He has told me you have done most of all the work on this car. I have put close to 9k on the car since march. I was hoping to visit with him longer but do to family issues I had to cut my trip short by 2 days and head back to IL.

TNT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Drive it, Drive it, Drive it. My wife and I have a trip with the Viper in July, ( 24-26 Harrison Hotsprings in British Columbia with the VCA 1100 kms one way) and another one in August with the VCA in Kelowna British Columbia, ( 800 kms one way ) and in between we are driving lots (4000 kms since end of April). Here in Alberta we don't have to worry about rock chips and bugs as we are dodging the 70 MPH 5 pound boulders from oilfield trucks and making sure the mooose and deere don't end up as inadvertent passengers. Rock chips can be fixed, bugs can be cleaned but you don't get back the days you "could have drove the Viper". It is great to see so many people feel the same way.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I just got back from my trip going from milwaukee down to chicago then to mount rushmore, went down the lewis and clark trail in the mountains(had little fun on those tight corners:D), along the columbia river, up in sequim, washington along to west coast going south HWY 101/ HWY 1, San francisco, to LA hollywood, and Santa Monica, then to Vegas, then did an over nighter go home here in milwaukee. clocked about 6300miles was a very good drive. Only saw 3 vipers during the trip. Read RT/10 in vegas then red SRT vert in UTAH, and Copperhead SRT vert in IOWA. Not a thing went wrong. I think I went lil over board on the milage trip. But worth it had a blast.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only guy enjoying putting miles on his car. 20,000 when I bought it Aug before last and now I've gone past 45,000miles.

PS1s lasted about 9,000 miles and since 29,000miles I've still got rubber left on the PS2s!!! PS2s are awesome in the rain as well. I've driven this car from Ohio, home 3,300mi. Then the wife and I did VOI X fro 6,300mi. in 13 days. It was great because we drove with 5 Vipers from the Washington VCA.

Ted

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check your Power Steering Fluid, It runs your fan. You can get a tire plug kit at Walmart for about $10.00. I carry one in the Hummer and have used it numerous times off road. It is in a small yellow case and takes up no space. it will slide behind a seat.

Drive it and have fun. My wife and I have done many road trips around Texas and the Viper is great.

I have found it you put your right leg agaignst the transmission tunnel when on the open highway you can place your left foot behind your right and it relieves any fatigue and is my Cruise Control.

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just got back from my trip going from milwaukee down to chicago then to mount rushmore, went down the lewis and clark trail in the mountains(had little fun on those tight corners:D), along the columbia river, up in sequim, washington along to west coast going south HWY 101/ HWY 1, San francisco, to LA hollywood, and Santa Monica, then to Vegas, then did an over nighter go home here in milwaukee. clocked about 6300miles was a very good drive. Only saw 3 vipers during the trip. Read RT/10 in vegas then red SRT vert in UTAH, and Copperhead SRT vert in IOWA. Not a thing went wrong. I think I went lil over board on the milage trip. But worth it had a blast.

Ha ha--Sequim! Who goes there by choice? (And I wonder how many people read that and pronounced it "see-kwim"?).

You didn't happen to go to the VCA meeting in Chicago on July 1, did you? There was a really nice bumblebee with Wisconsin plates parked next to me in the lot.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found it you put your right leg agaignst the transmission tunnel when on the open highway you can place your left foot behind your right and it relieves any fatigue and is my Cruise Control.

:lmao:I do the EXACT same thing! I usually have to drive barefoot (summertime anyway) because of the heels, I take them off.

escapedan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all - this is a great thread. I'm sending in my application for The Great American Run (Cannonball?) this weekend. Looking forward to it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456