Gingerman Longest Day

Bob Pommer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attended the Longest Day event at Gingerman Friday. Ran a 1.35. I got blackflagged for going too fast without a rollbar. Came in second behind the guy who just came off winning one lap of America. He ran a 1.34 in a stock GTS. The guy was good...

All I can say is WOW. The SRT definitely has one sorted out chassis. I was tossing it around corners and nearly 45 degrees sideway at 70mph and was able to pull it back without too much drama. (I have some good video of 70MPH opposite lock on the steering wheel...) I was turning 1.36's all day and had one of those "magical" laps. I turned the last corner, looked at my stopwatch and knew I was flying... I then proceed to miss 3rd gear "MANY EXPLETIVES" and still turned a 1.35. [******] that gear box... I then got black flagged.... The tire wear was extremely even. I melted the Michelins pretty good though.

The only thing I would add to it would be some additional downforce in the rear end.

Overall had a blast. Can't say enough about the car.

:D :D :D :D :D

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

Sounds like you had a blast! Do you know if it was Scott Alexander or Kurt Billhartz in the stock GTS?

Michael

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Bob, you are really driving that SRT! Good to hear your reports, and see what that car can really do. Yours is no garage queen, thats for sure. Sounds like you are ready for that AutoForm roll bar set-up. (I think its AutoForm?)

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Gingerman Longest Day

Bob, you are really driving that SRT! Good to hear your reports, and see what that car can really do. Yours is no garage queen, thats for sure. Sounds like you are ready for that AutoForm roll bar set-up. (I think its AutoForm?)

Yes, it's AutoForm. http://www.autoformgroup.com/news.html
I have seen pics and read about it in the Viper forum. I was going to post a direct link, but there is nothing on their website about the roll bar yet, just some info and pics on their body kit for the SRT-10 Viper. Best to call AutoForm, and ask them.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
B

Bob Pommer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was Curt Billhartz. I heard them say that he set the track record for street tires at 1.3401. That guy can drive...

When he came in, he completely fried the rotors. They were extremely "wavey". The rotors were so hot that the heat completely melted the plastic valve stem caps. They were just melted plastic. He also melted the glue off the wheel balancing weights... He literally drove the wheels off that GTS. Had he been in an SRT, he probably would have done a 1.32.

Bob

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thats really pushing it!

JWALK35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob That was me. Red # 35 That for the complement.My best time was 1:33.7 on street tires.Trashed a new set of pads in 4- 15 minute sessions. I did get a chance to drive steve loudin's srt . Wow awesome brakes. It was at the end of the day so we didn't get any times . I wish we had. I was hanging with scott a. with hoosiers. I know i was going faster then i was in my car. I would say at least 1:32's. That wasn't even on the edge .Put a gear in that car and you could do 1:30's. It wasn't my car and I had the owner with me. That car handles great. Jim Walker

OP
OP
B

Bob Pommer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

Sorry about the name mix up. Great driving. I agree about the gear... The SRT is so tall that on a tight course like Gingerman you could squeeze some serious time out. I was feeling pretty good about my 1.35 and then you trashed it in the gts... I guess I have some more work to do....

Next time we are out there, I would love to take a ride with you and see the lines you are taking... Gingerman has about 4 corners that you can take about 5 different ways...

Cheers...

Bob

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clear up the numbers here are the fastest times at our Longest Day Competition at Gingerman. Unlimted class ran Hoosiers. Everyone else street tires.
Dan Spata- 1:32.001 Unlimited
Jim Walker- 1:33.700 Prepared
Kurt Billhartz- 133.927 Modified
Ron Adee- 1:34.017 Superstock (Stock GTS with K&N's) 1998 & 2003 One Lap of America winner
Scott Alexander- 1:34.692 Prepared
Me- 1:35.734 Prepared
Bob Pommer- 1:35.782 Modified (SRT)
Glen Davis- 1:36.329 Unlimited
Dave Hansen- 1:36.616 Modified (SRT)

Tom Shapiro
IL VCA
Performance Driving Director

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys ARE fast and ENTHUSIASTIC. Why don't you come out for Viper Days? It's not like it cost much. Join us!

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Frank it's Aug 16th & 17th. A week before Viper Days at Brainard. We changed the name a few years ago to Viper War because only 2 Ferraris' showed up each year. I remember seeing you and the Desert Venom Team beating up on the Ferraris in the early Viper/Ferrari Wars.
Russ, there are a few of us that do both Viper Days and The IL VCA events. I think cost and allocation of weekend time are the key factors. The IL VCA has 3 events at Gingerman, two drag strip events and 3 auto crosses ($850 for the season). None of our events conflict with VD's.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We need more Illinois guys to run Viper Days. We put up some great numbers. Jim

Heck, as soon as the IT industry starts to pick up, LQQK QUT! I'll be up there as soon as things shape up!

Jay K.
Chicago, IL

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it is Autoform that has a roll bar available for the SRT10. I have one in my car. I have been to two Viper Days events already with the car and it is amazing. The Atuoform bar works very well and even looks good to boot. They also installed TeamTech six point harnesses in the car at the same time. The belts take some getting used to but when you do they feel great. TeamTech still needs to tweek the fine points on their installation guide and make the length of the lap belts a little longer for us short rounded guys. They know of the issues we had with my belts and say they will send me longer lap belts as soon as I tell them how long the belt needs to be. When I get a chance I will post some pictures of the Atuform bar and the graphics I have applied to the sides of my Silver SRT10. If you want to see the graphis sooner go to Viperdays web site and my car is pictured there. Everyone says they love the look.