God hates me (long, but on topic)

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, about two weeks ago I got the Viper back from the paint shop, having done a complete repaint of my Silver/Blue 1998 GTS. No collision damage or anything, just a ton of rock chips and the ubiquitous issues with Dodge silver paint. So, on my sunny Friday drive in downtown Redmond, WA, a lady in a 20 year old Jaguar makes an oncoming left turn about 30 yards in front of me and I hit her at about 10 miles an hour. Here's the full story:

The route I take from work is a 4 lane road with a shared fifth turn lane in the center, alternating turn zones for the various businesses on each side of the road. Because a bunch of people were waiting to turn left at a busy intersection, I got in the right lane which was clear for about 100 yards up to the next stoplight. Unbenownst to me, the other party was waiting in the turn lane where some sort of SUV made a hole for her to make a left turn. She turns left, goes through the first lane, and without stopping drives straight across mine as she goes to pull into her bank parking lot. I all of a sudden see her about 30 yards up (I paced it out), jump on the brakes, but I just had nowhere to go. The other lane was stopped traffic, and there were lightpoles down the sidewalk. I hit her rear quarter as far to my left as I could manage, and we both pull into a parking lot.

After the accident we are both very polite to one another, being glad that nobody got hurt and commenting that everything could be repaired. Once the police show up, they take her story and mine, then the officer fills out the report. I notice at this point that now in her words I'm "zooming" into her (in her story to the officer). I try to mention to the cop that there was no way I was speeding; he tells me to cool it. The officer gets out with his report, and tells the lady that he can tell by the collision damage that this was not a speed-related accident, and that she was responsible for giving up the right of way to any oncoming traffic. Further, he would be mailing her a ticket for making an illegal turn. At this point, the sweet old lady becomes substantially less accomodating, and I notice that all of a sudden I'm going faster and faster every time she tells the story. The officer says that it doesn't matter, the law is clear on this point; she turned into oncoming traffic so it is her fault. Then, the lady goes for the ace up her sleeve:

"Measure the skid mark he left" (the one in the road, not the one in my pants) "that'll show how fast he was going!". Oh heck, I thought, I really, really hope I wasn't actually speeding and now there's physical evidence. The officer gets out a measuring wheel, measures the skid mark, consults his chart, and says, "he was maybe doing 35, so this is definitely not speed-related". When the lady complains that I was still speeding he points to the "35 MPH" speed limit sign right next to where we're standing. Finally, she says that the lane was clear and I had to be going too fast, since she didn't see me when she checked the traffic. The officer explained that the lane was in fact not clear - it was occupied by the Silver and Blue car that I happened to be leaning on.

So, long story short, I definitely need a new bumper, and I'm going to ask for a new hood (it got a chunk torn off the front). If anyone has any legal advice or experience on demanding new and not repaired body parts I'd appreciate it. Although I'd only had the car back for two weeks before this happened I guess God doesn't really hate me after all - it's just bad luck. 3 MPH slower and I'd have missed her; 3 MPH faster and I'd have T-boned her passenger. Viper Days is in a month and I'm still hoping to go, depending on how quick we can process the claim and get the hood and bumper replaced.

You must be registered for see images

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy, very sorry to hear about your snake!!!

There may be some misc brackets bent behind the bumper, but that should be minor...I agree with you on the hood, having not seen it, but it would be best for your long term to get a new hood. Course, the cost is through the roof, so you may have a fight on your hands...

JonB can help you out!! Getting a shop experienced with Viper collision/parts is the key...

Tomer

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should add a word here about Viper Days, for those who've never taken any performance driving instruction in their Viper. I've been to several, and have found them extremely valuable in building driving skills and learing how to handle the car. In this instance, I had a car pull in front of me - so close that I could see the whites of their eyes. In the second or two that it took me to get to them I was on the brakes, trying (with imperfect success) to modulate my skid by threshold braking, steer as far left as I could, look to either the other lane or the sidewalk for a way out of the situation, and still think about finding a way out before I realized that there was no way. All of this happened automatically, and all of it took place because of skills learned at Viper Days. If I'd been a bit slower, or just jumped on the brakes and let the car slide in a straight line, I'd have smacked right into the passenger door hard enough to really hurt somebody.

So, the lesson is, "Go to Viper Days!!!" Learn how to drive these cars! You don't have anti-lock brakes (most of you) or traction control, you need to drive these cars, not just operate them. Think of the money spent on this sort of instruction as additional insurance against accidents or damage to your car.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That story actually makes my blood boil a bit at that IDIOT LADY!!! What was she thinking in her thick skull. She was wrong no matter what! She can't just go making her own path through traffic! Then say it's your fault! People like that should have their license taken away. They think the world revolves around them and everything has to stop for them. She reminds me of the lady that has over 50 items in her grocery cart and thinks she's too good to wait in line so she goes and checks out in the 10 lines or less and pays by check with her coupons in a cash only lane. Not to mention she argues about the lettuce being on sale so a price check is involved!!

man I went on! But I run into old ladies like that all the time.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy, Sorry about your misfortune but I'm glad no one was hurt.

And ditto on the benefits of performance driving schools!
smile.gif

Finally I would like to propose a new nickname for ab........

ADAM RANT!!!!
laugh.gif

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the condolences - I'm trying to look on the positive side. The shop that has done work for me before - Eurotech Bodywerkes - is full of nothing but craftsment who really take the time to get the car perfect. So, when I tell them to have every body gap and part back to "new factory spec" they won't screw around, the car will be perfect. But, it's been in the shop for May, June, and some of July - now it'll be out at least all of August. A bit frustrating in the Pacific Northwest with its short Viper season. But, I guess if you're so ******* in the car that it literally ruins your summer if you don't have it, then you probably shouldn't own one.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I feel for you.. I dont' know if this would help at all, but everytime I drive my viper I TRY and leave either my lights on or fog/parking light combo on. That little extra bit they can see me might make a difference..

Now get that thing fixed!!
smile.gif

Gerald