Going for first dyno -does gas octane matter?

GTzViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I hope you can help me out. I have a '96 GTS with smooth tubes, K&Ns, Belanger exhuast and headers, and high flow cats. This is my first dyno and I would like to get the best results that I can. Any suggestions and does gas octane effect the hp? Thanks for your help.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to ask a similar question today so if you don't mind I'll tag along on this one. I usually run 94 octane. Today my buddy gave me a ride in his Cessna and filled up with 100 Octane. He said if I wanted to try some in the Viper the airport would happily sell me a tank full. So what would that do for me if anything? I'd like to try it but can it do damage?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as the gas is unleaded, you shouldn't have a problem. But then again, it won't do you any good unless you bump up the timing or are running a boosted application.

With 93 octane right now, I have to take some timing out while under pressure (Supercharger) but with 100 octane, I don't need to take out timing... car runs like mad with no timing taken out [and it ain't too bad with some timing taken out either... ;) ]

On the other hand, I don't have race fuel nearby, so I have started using VP Fuels octane booster... it is suppose to add 7 Octane pts to the gas in one concentrated shot. I picked it up a bottle at AutoZone for 9.99 when I was picking up oil + filter for this weekend's event [which I never got to]...

Anyone heard anything about that VP product?

Joseph

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas