Good News for our Snakes! An interesting article.... found by Kingman

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Kingman requested that I post this for our Viper Nation. It surely adds another feather in our cap!

14viper.jpg

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother pointed that one out to me. I was shocked by the Solstice at the #1 position and then I thought, at $21K, they do have a point since they are still selling for MSRP used.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting...how does this compare to other exotics such as Ferrari or Lamborghini??? Do they even offer a residual value for those cars?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting...how does this compare to other exotics such as Ferrari or Lamborghini??? Do they even offer a residual value for those cars?

Matters which ones you are talking about:

On the Ferrari line you are looking at a few different models currently being made by when you compare it to the Viper you are looking at the 360 and current 430 but then the grand tourer 575 is most like the Viper. The 360/430 are cars for people that want to be in the moment. As a result they end up having a waiting list until the end of production and during production they usually never loose much is value; they acutally appriciate.

The 575 is a GREAT car. I love it. Will be the next car for me or a Lambo Murci Roadster but the 575 loosing a bit of value. With a sticker of $225K+, you can pick a slightly used one year old version for $190K or so. Two years, you are in the $150K - $175K range depending on mileage and condition.

Now as for Lamborghini. Their line is only the Gallardo and Murcielago at the moment. The Gallardo looses value before it even rolls off the floor. MSRP on these are at about $190K give or take and you can pick a new one up for about $25K under sticker depending on options. If you want 6-speed you can get about $30K off sticker.

The Murcielago is a great car but they loose value as well. They are super cars and being that they are exclusive to only a certain client base so naturally it will loose value. The 2004+ line is the highest in value seeing that E-Gear was introduced but the 2002/2003's are at around $180K - $220K depending on year, mileage and condition. At the current moment you can probably pick up at 2004 with E-Gear for around $250K with low mileage. Not bad for a year seeing that they cost $310K new. The roadster is another story! NOT LOOSING MUCH unless it is 6 Speed.

I know this is a long response but I just wanted to address all factors. Hope this helps!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are a rare exotic that retains its value well, even with some mileage.

The Ferrari's and Lambo drop by large amounts with any significant mileage.

As collector cars, they can hold their value well, but if you get the urge to actually drive them, their value drops quickly.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great news! Thanks for posting. Vipers rock.

That is great news. Maybe it will wake up some people who try to judge a market based on prices on E-BAY!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was shocked by the Solstice at the #1 position

Then you are undoubtedly floored by the fact that the Viper was actually #1 and the Solstice #2: "the Solstice was second only to the Viper..." (and by a wide margin too)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not bad but there are LOTS of other cars that beat the Viper in holding value. The Ford GT, Ferrari 430, BMW M3, Honda S2000 just to name a few. It is nice to see the Viper in the top section of holding it's value but no way is it the highest. This study probably was only among a few vehicles.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not bad but there are LOTS of other cars that beat the Viper in holding value. The Ford GT, Ferrari 430, BMW M3, Honda S2000 just to name a few. It is nice to see the Viper in the top section of holding it's value but no way is it the highest. This study probably was only among a few vehicles.

Sooooo, the guys who wrote this article know nothing and you know everything?
You're encyclopaedic knowledge of auto pricing tells you that this article is just flat wrong? Jeeez, don't you think you should start publishing? LOL. ;)

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're encyclopaedic knowledge of auto pricing tells you that this article is just flat wrong? Jeeez, don't you think you should start publishing? LOL. ;)

Which viper are they discussing? If it's the Gen III then the entire article has to be some kind of joke. Gen II's (especially ACR's) are holding value pretty well, but the Gen III's are pathetic.

How many other cars can be purchased for HALF of msrp after 2-3 years. I tell ya, even the cheapest 360m doesn't fall in that category, nor do M3's (or most of the BMW line) hell diesel pickup trucks hold their value better.

Note: it is comparing domestic vehicles, but for pete sake thats like comparing whos the least retarted kid on the short bus.

Sigh, I bet all the people with 03/04 vipers feel great their resale is lower than 01-02 ACRs and even less than some B/W GTS's. Just sad really.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Which viper are they discussing? If it's the Gen III then the entire article has to be some kind of joke. Gen II's (especially ACR's) are holding value pretty well, but the Gen III's are pathetic.

How many other cars can be purchased for HALF of msrp after 2-3 years. I tell ya, even the cheapest 360m doesn't fall in that category, nor do M3's (or most of the BMW line) hell diesel pickup trucks hold their value better.

Note: it is comparing domestic vehicles, but for pete sake thats like comparing whos the least retarted kid on the short bus.

Sigh, I bet all the people with 03/04 vipers feel great their resale is lower than 01-02 ACRs and even less than some B/W GTS's. Just sad really.

I agree. There are other cars out there that hold better value. I mean look at an M3. 2003 M3's are selling in the $40K range depending on mileage and options just for one example.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote by acrdakota

I think your statement is all wrong and your logic is convoluted. You can't judge the market of exotics, like Vipers, based on a few internet prices.
For example...

Didn't stripped ACRs' have a MSRP list over $90k back in 01 & 02? Didn't the 03 SRT have a MSRP list for less, at $83k? That should mean that the ACRs' should be worth more since they were more expensive. Just because someone needs to sell and lowballs the price, doesn't mean that the value of the car has dropped.

This 02 RT/10 with only 800 miles sold for $38k. Using your crazy logic, that would mean that "02 RT/10s are only worth $38k" which is complete nonsense.

2002 Dodge Viper Convertible

$38,000

You must be registered for see images

Specific information about this car.

D
Price $38,000
Body Style Convertible
Mileage 800
Exterior Color Yellow
Interior Color Black
Engine 10 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission Manual
Drive Type 2 wheel drive
Fuel Type Gasoline
Doors Two Door
VIN 1B3ER65E82V101667

I am the original owner still have all the original paper work. Price is firm. This is the BEST AND THE LAST OF THE CLAM SHELL HOODED VIPERS!!! TRUE CONVERTABLE.Sorry this car is sold however I have another 2002 with 6k miles that I trying to sell. let me know if your interested

Since Vipers aren't your "forte" may I suggest pickup trucks?

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother pointed that one out to me. I was shocked by the Solstice at the #1 position and then I thought, at $21K, they do have a point since they are still selling for MSRP used.

The Viper was #1, Solstice was #2.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote by acrdakota

I think your statement is all wrong and your logic is convoluted. You can't judge the market of exotics, like Vipers, based on a few internet prices.
For example...

Didn't stripped ACRs' have a MSRP list over $90k back in 01 & 02? Didn't the 03 SRT have a MSRP list for less, at $83k? That should mean that the ACRs' should be worth more since they were more expensive. Just because someone needs to sell and lowballs the price, doesn't mean that the value of the car has dropped.

This 02 RT/10 with only 800 miles sold for $38k. Using your crazy logic, that would mean that "02 RT/10s are only worth $38k" which is complete nonsense.

$38,000

D
Price $38,000
Body Style Convertible
Mileage 800
Exterior Color Yellow
Interior Color Black
Transmission Manual
Drive Type 2 wheel drive
Fuel Type Gasoline
Doors Two Door
VIN 1B3ER65E82V101667

I am the original owner still have all the original paper work. Price is firm. This is the BEST AND THE LAST OF THE CLAM SHELL HOODED VIPERS!!! TRUE CONVERTABLE.Sorry this car is sold however I have another 2002 with 6k miles that I trying to sell. let me know if your interested

If that deal is true I will buy that car right now. No way that a clean 800 mile Viper is listed for $38K. Even a clean 6K 2002, can not be listed for that without problems.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote by acrdakota

For example...

$38,000

D
Price $38,000
Body Style Convertible
Mileage 800
Exterior Color Yellow
Interior Color Black
Transmission Manual
Drive Type 2 wheel drive
Fuel Type Gasoline
Doors Two Door
VIN 1B3ER65E82V101667

If that deal is true I will buy that car right now. No way that a clean 800 mile Viper is listed for $38K. Even a clean 6K 2002, can not be listed for that without problems.

I think what is relevant is comparing resale values of say an ACR (or GTS/RT-10)and an SRT-10. I bought my 01 Sapphire ACR (no stripes) in 2003 for $58K. That is 66% of MSRP (the ACR was $87K). So if a 2004 SRT-10, which was $85K is more today than $56K, it's resale value is at least as good as the ACR. But a 2004 SRT-10 will actually cost you more than $56K if you were in the market today to buy one.

I don't think this 'proves' that the SRT-10 has better resale value - it's too early to tell. Not enough years have passed to see what an older SRT-10 will sell for. It remains to be seen if say a 5 or 6 year old SRT-10 will still go in the low to mid 50s.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what is relevant is comparing resale values of say an ACR (or GTS/RT-10)and an SRT-10. I bought my 01 Sapphire ACR (no stripes) in 2003 for $58K. That is 66% of MSRP (the ACR was $87K). So if a 2004 SRT-10, which was $85K is more today than $56K, it's resale value is at least as good as the ACR. But a 2004 SRT-10 will actually cost you more than $56K if you were in the market today to buy one.

I don't think this 'proves' that the SRT-10 has better resale value - it's too early to tell. Not enough years have passed to see what an older SRT-10 will sell for. It remains to be seen if say a 5 or 6 year old SRT-10 will still go in the low to mid 50s.

Agreed. It is too early to tell but I am sure that a 2003 SRT will be in the low $50's if not in the $40's in two or three years but that is how the Viper's work. Once they hit that level they really do not go down much more unless it has a TON of mileage or horrible condition. Can not say this about GEN I's because they were a lot less than GEN II's when they came up but the precentages are just about the same. Right now if you are in the market for an SRT, it is the time to buy since you are getting a GREAT deal now. You can pick up a 2003 for mid to high $50's depending on mileage and if you keep it for three years and loose only $10K, you did VERY VERY WELL!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that. Sounds too good to be true. I would love to run that vin number. Also saw that he only had one picture. If he is trying to sell a sports car I would think that he would have more than one picture, especially not one of only the rear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte