Got beat by a freakin Focus!!!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's always funny to me when I speak to people at these SCCA autox events and everyone says how the Viper is going to crush every other car hands down. And then they are shocked to find out that yes even a Focus can come out on top when all is said and down.

I had a blast and this was my 3rd autox in this car. I now have 2 1st's and 1 2nd. Better luck next time.

ps- I wish it was 10 seconds rather than .1 seconds, that is what makes it even more frustrating.

39 HS Don Johnson Focus 0 0:35.467
13 SS John Smith Viper 0 0:35.563
85 BS Grant Green S2000 0 0:35.850
67 FS Nathan Darby Trans-Am 0 0:35.991
71 HS Jeff Walin Protege 0 0:36.314
33 HS Laura Johnson Focus 0 0:36.442
13 DS Nick Conklin Sentra 0 0:36.766
53 AS Gary Smith Porsche Boxster 0 0:36.864
42 SM2 Kerry Hunter Corvette 0 0:36.976
10 GS Daniel Mahan Eclipse GT 0 0:37.197
41 FS Christopher Stokes Lightning 0 0:37.240
93 DS Walt Roddy Sentra Spec-V 0 0:37.451
66 SS Chris Wright Z06 0 0:37.574
11 HS Brad Phelan S-10 0 0:38.073
44 ES Craig Smith Miata 0 0:38.285
49 BS John Green S2000 0 0:38.456
5 ASP Joel Wahlsten 944 Turbo 0 0:38.569
13 GS Matthew Anderson Eclipse 0 0:39.055
14 GSL Katy Hemphill Acura 0 0:39.177
38 CSP Josh Querin Rx7 0 0:41.116
904 STS David Daniel Integra 0 0:42.121

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but the thing is, when something like a Ford Focus does that, nobody cares, because - hello - it's a Ford Focus. How exciting is that? It doesn't make you want to run down and get one instead of a Viper. *chuckle*

You must be registered for see images

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my first and only AutoX last year. I ran my buddies modded Eagle Talon. Anyways, it was a humbling experience to say the least and it really comes down to the drivers experience level and skill. You don't have to have a 500 hp car to beat everyone. I didn't do so well, partly because I had never even driven my buddies car at all before and it was a little hard to get used too since he has it setup specifically for autox. Which is great if you know what you are doing. I'm just glad I didn't take the Viper bacause then all eyes seem to be on you and when you mess up they'll let you know it. Hey, I didn't hit any cones though, just locked up the brakes a few times.

OP
OP
J

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head MC Mad Man. Experience is 85% and the car is 15%IMO. I had a blast and learned alot from a guy who is 11 time national champion in a civic of all things. I let him take me around the course in my car and it was simply incredible. He was over a second quicker than my best time with only 1 run in the Viper.

Daffy, I guess you are right because I certainly did not have the urge to buy a Focus after it was all said and done. LOL. :D

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a Lighting was faster than ZO6 and a Tubro944. I think a truck out running both of them is interesting!
Cudaman :usa:

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cudaman, Lightnings are no joke. You would be even more impressed if you drove one at a road course. They are amazing being trucks and all!!! You should just test drive one for the hell of it. I had no faith in them but now I love them

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can second the L comments. Great trucks!

I plan on tracking mine later this year just for kicks to see how it stacks up to the other toys...

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, how did you get classed in SS? I thought even a bone stock was classed in ASP?!?

I just started doin the AutoX thing this year, so what the **** do I know...

Please explain.

OP
OP
J

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was always told, but don't know for sure that a car isn;t place in street prepared unless it has an aftermarket cold air intake or has done more that just a cat back, like headers.

Looking at you mods - brakes, headers, ecu, they would put you in street prepared.

Now that I have roller rockers, I am assuming they will change my class as well......if I tell them. lol.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OOSVTdubs....I have heard with a few good mods they can run impressive 1/4 mile times as well.... a truck that can run 1/4 mile and a road course and do well at both ...that must be one of "Ford's better ideas."

Cudaman :usa:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I went autocrossing, all of the street legal Corvettes and Vipers were in SS class. Most of the autocrosses that I've seen and raced in have been setup to favor tiny imported cars with Datsun 510s, 240Zs, and WRXs getting the best times on the really tight courses.

It was hardly a test of the car's full performance as I never got out of 1st gear, plus it's 6 hours of waiting in line, tech testing, and then waiting in line again for a couple minutes of a 3-lap run.

I was disappointed and didn't run again this year.

I know that there are more open auto-X courses designed to take better advantage of faster car's capabilities like Porsches, Corvettes, and Vipers, but I haven't been to one of those events yet.

-Dean.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
2003 placed the GTS and RT-10 in Super Stock, and the ACR did stay in ASP. The interesting note is the changes you can make to the Viper and still stay in the Stock Class. They include:

1. Different brake pads
2.Catback exhaust ( not change to the cats , allowed , though )
3. K&N filters, but no smooth tubes
4.Hoosiers or Pilot Cup Sports ( Hoosiers for sure, but check if there are enough sizes available to make the Pilots legal )
5. Aggressive track alignment
6. Adjustable front bar( Woodhouse just happens to make one ).

The Viper will do tremendous things on an Autocross course , but few folks dedicate themselves to a full season. Seat time is critical, and the driver is 70-85 % of the equation. The ABS cars are incredible slalom cars, and keep going and we may see your name in print in the near future.Best of luck !

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same experience, I autocrossed with the local SCCA club. It took a long time and you had few runs. I took a chance and showed up at the local Corvette Club event. They are serious racers and a large number of their cars are track only cars. The number of cars entered is a fraction of the SCCA events. They average about 30-50 cars per event, whereas, the SCCA club events we attended had 130 and 180 cars entered.

To make a long story short, my wife and I ended up doing all five of their events this year. We both are now different drivers. This Corvette Club is outstanding and I would recommend trying to do the same for anyone that wants to learn autocrossing. There are three Corvette clubs that have autocross events that are within driving distance, it has to be similar in most parts of the country.

I don't know why, but, our times are very similar or better when using second gear on the course. Most of the layouts we race force the car into second. Shifting throughout the course seems faster, however, the times don't show it. Another insight, the Bob Woodhouse stabilizer bar is the single most noticeable change I have made to our car.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently raced at an event to find the fastest modified car in the UK. In the Autocross shoot out I came third. I won the rear wheel drive class, beating some light weight decent horse power, purpose built track cars. People were amazed "a big Yank Tank get around there in such a time". (That was with zero negative camber, as I drove 5 hours to the event)! A Super charged Viper with Kumos is awesome at autocross! It was an Evo that took the Autocross crown, but only just, though it was the sight and sound of a Viper snakin' around there that turned heads and dropped jaws.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21