Got my reflashed controller back from DC Performance

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed the reflashed controller Friday along with a 170 degree thermostat. The only mods on my SRTC are K&N intake and Mopar race exhaust. The weather here has been too crapy to drive much but the first thing I noticed was a tremendous increase in the popping and burbling of the exhaust on deceleration. It sounds awesome. I do have the check engine light on which I have to investigate. I'm looking forward to our dyno day to see what HP gain it gave me.

Bob K

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My controller is somewhere between the west coast and the east coast on the way back to me. I will also post after the reinstall.
Jim

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The DC perfromance reflash was one of my best mods. Mine was running very poor from factory. Dc's flash woke my car up.

SD SRT Coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Installed the reflashed controller Friday along with a 170 degree thermostat. The only mods on my SRTC are K&N intake and Mopar race exhaust. The weather here has been too crapy to drive much but the first thing I noticed was a tremendous increase in the popping and burbling of the exhaust on deceleration. It sounds awesome. I do have the check engine light on which I have to investigate. I'm looking forward to our dyno day to see what HP gain it gave me.

Bob K

I was under the impression that the reflash would decrease the popping during deceleration. Anyone else heard this?

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Bob K

Not to kill your enthusiasm, but you should be getting less "popping and burbling" than before and you should definitely not be seeing a check engine light. Something isn't right.

I have the DC reflash as well and love it. It smoothed the car out and quieted it down, meaning less popping from the exhaust. I would give a Dan a call and get his opinion, but sounds to me like something is amiss.

SD SRT Coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Bob K

Not to kill your enthusiasm, but you should be getting less "popping and burbling" than before and you should definitely not be seeing a check engine light. Something isn't right.

I have the DC reflash as well and love it. It smoothed the car out and quieted it down, meaning less popping from the exhaust. I would give a Dan a call and get his opinion, but sounds to me like something is amiss.

Agreed. I was under the impression that the popping sounds were the result of the factory rich tune. Reflashing it should lean it out, reducing the unburned gas in the exhaust, and thus reducing the popping (backfiring) sound.

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what does a re-flash cost?

$600 plus the cost of a new thermostat.

Performance calibration
Optimized timing and fuel
Revised fan cycle
Improved mid-range power (15-25hp)

Car should run cooler and feel less hot because of the lower running temperature.

Jim

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And a additional $ 300 if you want a extra computer. I opted for a extra computer and had that reflashed so it was $ 900. That way I still have my stock computer if it needs to go in for warranty.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bob K

I was under the impression that the reflash would decrease the popping during deceleration. Anyone else heard this?

There should be no popping if you gave Dan the proper information about your viper, gasoline octane available, and whatever mods have been done to your car. was the "check engine light" on before installing the thermostat and ECM? If not you may not have "burped" the cooling system properly when you drained and refilled the coolant and there is an air pocket trapped in the system giving off false readings on the coolant temperature switch. If you did not follow the factory service manual regarding draining the coolant and refilling it then you may need to burp the system again overnight to be sure there is no air trapped in the engine. I would also disconnect the positive cable at the fuse box, hit the brake pedal to remove any residual voltage in the system, and then reconnect the cable. this will clear the system of codes. Then unlock the car with the door switch and turn the ignition switch to "on" only until everything goes through it's cycle and turn it off. Then start as normal and take the car for a ride.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming check engine light on is not normal. Is there any downside to the reflash or increased engine risks? Has anyone expereinced any problems with long term use. I'm thinking of puttting it on 06 coupe.

------------------------------------------------------------
1997 GTS B/W
2004 SRT10 White Mamba
2006 SRT10 VCA Coupe

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bob K
You have the Mopar Race Exhaust like myself and that means no cats.
I believe that is why you (and I) probably have popping or more popping than others.

Carleton

-------------------------
2002 RT (Sold)
2005 Commemorative Edition #56
Mopar Race Exhaust & Shifter. K&N's,
Al. Flywheel, Quaife,355's, 170* T-Stat.
Asanti 20" AF 112s DC Performance ECM Reflash. 478rwhp/501rwtq

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep us posted as to the changes you experience? Sound of the exhaust power etc. I am thinking of getting one of those also.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Every car is different, my buddies doesnt pop at all, he doesnt even have the reflash. Just headers ,NO cats and Corsa. Never has popped. Where as mine popped like crazy, but got better once I did the reflash. Still a little burblin,popping during decel. But I like it now.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did the DC reflash. I also had the check engine light on. Took off the K&N and put back on the stock unit with green filters. The check engine light went away (so did the K&N)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the DC reflash. I also had the check engine light on. Took off the K&N and put back on the stock unit with green filters. The check engine light went away (so did the K&N)

We have never had any issues with the K & N Filtercharger except that sometimes one does not get the air temp connector snapped on all the way and this will pop a trouble code and turn on the check engine light. It sounds like this may have been your problem.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming check engine light on is not normal. Is there any downside to the reflash or increased engine risks? Has anyone expereinced any problems with long term use. I'm thinking of puttting it on 06 coupe.

7000 miles with zero problems. The DC reflash is one of the best mods going but you need to buy a new ECM to avoid potential problems down the road with 2005 and up cars.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score

In addition to check engine light, the car bucked really hard with DC reflash and K&N. Made it almsot undrivable. Stock unit with greens and DC reflash smoothed car out even better than stock.

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did the new computer/program, mufflers, high flow cat, stat, KN intake and green filters and mine pops like hell! Worse than it did before. I gave them all the octane and mods for the new comoputer and program.

Guess I might need to call them.

B

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, well I was really kinda psyched about the DC flash, now I'm not sure, I definitely don't want an issue. Right now my car is running absolutely great with my current mods. I'm getting bummed out.

Reaction score
After the reflash the engine popped like crazy and surged in traffic. It was impossible to keep it moving at slow speeds without it bucking especially at 2200 rpm. I had Dan leave the skip shift eliminator part in and the fan change and let the tune be stock. I believe that my 06 is somehow diff from earlier srt-10 cars. I don't believe that Dan has enough history with the last few 06 coupes that came off the line mine was made in June 06. It is an expensive skip shift elim tool right now, but I can't use his tune.

OP
OP
B

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K,. I put my OBDII reader on and it indicated 2 fault codes and 1 pending code.
First fault code: PO138 O2 sensor circuit high volts (bank 1 sensor 2)
Second fault code: PO158 O2 sensor circuit high volts (bank 2 sensor 2)
Third pending code - PO138, same as above

Can anyone here translate this to me? I will call Dan on Friday to work through this.

Bob K

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the flash - in fact I bought an entirely new computer and flash so i can swap the stock one in just in case. Bang for the buck it is the best performance mod for a stock or slightly modded car. The car runs smoother, cooler and is much more responsive. Mid range power is so much smoother and throttle response is dead on. You definitely will notice the increase in power between 2500 and 4500.

OP
OP
B

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update:

I stopped by the dyno shop yesterday to see what was happening. There was an '07 Z06 on the dyno at the time (factory stock with about 1500 miles). He did 7 pulls and it got stronger with each one. The last one pulled 460 rwhp and about 430 torq.
I decided to put my SRTC on to see what the reflash did for me. Remember, the engine light is one because of downstream O2 sensor issues.
Comparison results:

Factory stock 436.30 HP, 465.10 Torq

K&N intake,
Mopar race exhaust &
Mopar race controller 448.0 HP, 482.1 Torq

K&N intake,
Mopar race exhaust &
Reflashed OEM controller 457.55 HP 486.73 Torq

I must say my expectations were much higher than my results. I spoke with Dan at DC Performance who advised me to return the controller (they apparently forgot to delete the rear O2 sensor). He said they would install it on another Viper to fine tune it. There will be no charge and no shipping costs. We will see how it all plays out.

Bob K

D

DAMN YANKEE

$300! Heck out here in the Northeast The Wizard reflashes every Viper that comes into the shop FOR FREE! Though for the life of me, I would think ONE flashing is enough for any Viper!

You must be registered for see images attach

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. First I would like to let you know that we have done several hundred calibrations for the SRT Viper. We have tested these programs on the dyno, on customers cars and at the track. HP and toque increases vary from car to car and we cannot control all the variables of each customers reported results. Our programs are proven and the results are usually very repeatable. We stand behind them with a money back warranty. If you are not happy we will return your controller back to stock and refund your money (including shipping costs).

We are just human and sometimes on a special calibration we can make a mistake. If that happens we do everything possible to make it right. Our reputation has kept us in business over the years and we want to uphold that.

There seems to be some confusion on what our "reflash-program-calibration" is.
The dealer (like Tator) often upgrade your controller to the latest software
calibration, this is supplied by Dodge and is done at no charge (we provide this service). Our programs are optimized performance calibrations that we have developed in house.

I hope we are able to make you happy Bob.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Dans program optimizes the air fuel ratio especially in the mid range therefore you are not going to see a large increase in peak HP. But what you will see is 25-35hp in the mid range right were it is needed. Prior to getting the flash the mid range on my genIII was not that responsive expecially when flooring it at 3000. Now the mid range power is intant, extremely responsive and much more interesting. At 3000 rpm the car is an animal when you floor it in any gear. Night and day difference. Well worth the money.

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received my controller back and reinstalled it along with the a cooler thermostat and some K&N air filters. The reflash was worth it just to eliminate the 1-4 skip shift and to allow the car run cooler.
I went with some members of the club on Friday to the track and ran a 11.75 on run flats. In fact on my first run of the day, I was so worried about all the stories I've read on this forum about lousy traction with the runflats that I aggressively heated up the tires and then proceed to smoke my clutch on a 4000 rpm launch. After an hour of clutch cool down, the car started performing great. The 11.75 was hit with about 30 feet of tire spin on launch so I would guess I could hit 11.6 with a little better bite.
I think my next mod will be gears. I was shifting to 4th gear pretty close to the end of the 1/4. 3.33 would make a difference.
Jim

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great Jim.. Sorry, I'm new to the Viper thing and just learning who (locally) you guys are. What car are you running and what mods? If nothing else, I've learned that short times are everything with these cars.

Take care

John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang