GrassrootsMotorports Mag Has OTC challange & One lap reports

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those interested , this months GRM magazine has the West coast OTC challange with some Viper coverage & also One lap stuff featuring Ron Adee & others. If you dont subscribe go to grassrootsmotorsports.com & get a free issue. Its the best thing in car mags & they do feature Vipers, They did a piece on my Viper @ the Vegas VOI, even though we are on the upper end of the food chain. Great tech, racecraft & listing's of every event in the country. Check it out!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was VERY disappointed on their coverage of OTC. They were the sponsoring mag for this 7 day event and it got hardly any press, not to mention no pics of our '02 Viper in the event. Our sponsor was not pleased.

OT Challenge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, imagine my surprise when the spot I sent in to feature the friggin Touring-winning Mumford-mobile was dropped. I understand the breadth of OTC hardware was beyond GRM's core audience, but I also think guys like you and Dearing should have gotten some due. The trevails of your week and your ability to excel in spite of them were noted among everyone from your peers to the organizers.

Having said all that, your sponsor should know better about how motorsports marketing works. You basically end up with the ability to feature event results in your own advertising versus playing Editor Roullette and hoping for a magazine note or two. Kinda like how StopTech put Gary and PMUM on the opposing page advertisement. And talk about a crew that got screwed out of their due! Gary Sheehan and that Team SMR WRX team are a friggin pro team with tons of success and professionalism. And they crushed their class. AND one would reason the average GRM reader would care about a Subaru WRX.

Lastly, the One Lap crowd is even more pissed about their coverage in C&D and on TNN. Check out their website or talk to some of their guys.

OP
OP
P

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a lot of publishing & shameless self promotion in my time, so take some advice...ANY CONTENT IS GOOD CONTENT. There are so many things to cover in an event like this or one lap its up to YOU to get in the magazine not the other way around. I have had cover shots, 3 page color spreads , side bars, etc done on my cars in many mags & most of the cars were a POS! BUT.... I got coverage. How.... Thats the shameless self promotion part. Its your job to get your sponsor mentioned, not the guy covering the event. ( he may be someone like me or you doing the mag a favor. So make it easy for them prepare a press release howver basic. Its easy for them to copy your words when the deadline is due & you need a 100 more words. Also make sure the release has something interesting about it like how you did it yourself from cardboard or a naked picture of your wife or something. But my ultimate weapon is ......THE GRILL... ever see a journalist refuse food or drink? never ever leave home without it & buy enough food for everyone.You wont believe it. I have been invited to free track days , media events, ride & drives you name it.& my sponsors LOVE the exposure. I send a simple press relese on almost every race I do to the local sports sections, Also the free handouts in your town are a good source to get your stuff published. Remember to mention your sponsor every chance you get: I begin every sentence with "the loansquick.com porsche or the landmark dodge viper finished....
then cut out the stuff & put it in a scrap book for your sponsor. Quantity not quality is what gets you results.

Try it it works.

OP
OP
P

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, Grassroots will PAY you for your contribution.300 or 400 per submission. So get your word out. It may take you a few tries but it is worth it. Every race team in pro motorsports supplies a press kit with photo's, drivers bio's , specs , whatever & however basic.In fact a lot of the big teams have dedicated PR people. Have you ever seen american Viper Racings package? It even has a CD rom with info on it.