GT-40 BY A LANDSLIDE

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with 1bad....I just came back from Javits Center....I must give Ford credit....The GT40 is magnificent[so was the female presenter
biggrin.gif
] I went to the Dodge area and the only thing that kept me gawking was the that Beutiful Badazz Viper Ram truck.....My God that has got to be the best looking truck ever made....I honestly think I would take it over the SRT/10....That truck has the presence tha original Vipers had.....The SRT/10 is a nice car but its just too "suble" to be a Viper....

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment of the SRT-10 versus the GT-40. I still cannot understand why Chrysler would showcase the GTS Coupe version of the SRT-10 for the last few years and release the RT-10 Convertible? Had they showcased the Convertible, they would have found the exact same lukewarm reception that it is receiving.

Why has the current announcemnet to make the GTS Coupe version of the SRT-10 been buried? I had not heard anything about it here in the VCA Forums. SRT-10 Coupe Announcement

Another question is why is DC waiting so long to release the Coupe, knowing that the GT-40 will beat them to the punch by releasing theirs in '04 model year at the same price point as the Vipers?

When are the Germans going to wake up?

Sorry about the rant.

Brad

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a regular road racer, drag racer or autoX. I purchased the Viper becaues it was
THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS, USA PRODUCTION CAR EVER PRODUCED!
The SRT-10 is not even close.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Joe (1BAD),

C'mon guy! This is shocking testimony coming from a guy that worships Gen2's!, and I must say yours is unbelievably quick! I never thought you were a "style first" kind of guy!

As much as I posted this on another thread, I find it necessary to repeat myself here:

The SRT-10 demand will increase dramatically (even within our highly respected group of naysayers) as the true performance numbers are revealed.

This car was designed with ONE goal in mind. ULTIMATE performance, and as was discussed previously, that is why the FIRST concept car of the next generation Viper was the GTS/R. Our friends at Team Viper agreed that if they design the Track Car first, with a "field of dreams" list of performance criteria, then they could build the ultimate, never to be paralleled production car. Round fenders, "speaker grills", and other cosmetic touches, would just add to aerodynamic issues, and as little as these issues might be, you must consider that it's the little things, in combination, that make a car a winner! Think about weight factors... if you want to drop even 50 pounds off a car, you end up shaving, and removing a multitude of modest weight objects to move you in the right direction.

There is no doubt in my mind, that Mr Fernandez and the engineers at Team Viper are obsessed with racing, performance and speed! Just ask anyone where John F is on any weekend....

RACING! (and one heluva driver if I might add).

...was that Sterling Marlin in Arizona racing the SRT against an F16? Not necessary! We've got Herb Helbig as well!

In my opinion, there isn't one spec in Team Viper's DNA that spells bean counter! These guys build what THEY want to race! They build what they know will be bulletproof on the track, what will fly past ANY of their competition!

Gen 1's and Gen 2's are absolutely beautiful cars... and heck, at the time the original Viper was introduced, who else had the cojones to produce a 400 Horsepower "weather resistant" roadster? The combination of style, and unbelievable power, convinced all of us to write the check, and now our focus, on this website, at VOI's and through conversations, surveys and discussions has been convincingly weighted towards performance, with just a few of the topics on this site (until now!) discussing car shows, cosmetic niceties, and seat covers. Team Viper knows what we want! And through the years, Team Viper has learned more about reaping more power, more performance and more speed from our cars. But evolution sometimes demands change, and in my humble opinion.....

Change is good!

C'mon John, is the placard at the NY Auto Show our next tease? Are the SRT's hitting 525 lb/ft of torque? Keep the facts coming! We want to know more!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The key word in your last post was VERY important....

MAY

Viper has proven track performance! ... and Team Viper is just adding to this proven recipe for success!

GT40 ..... well, ahem, .... uh ..... nice LOOKING car.

...and when will it be ready for production? What engine? How much? durability? track worthiness?

Sorry! Too many unknowns!

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well at least I am not the only one that thinks the SRT-10 was kinda boring. I do like the numbers of the SRT-10, but they are nothing that blows my socks off (I could probably mod my Viper and get close or better). The GT-40 has the sex appeal that the gen1/2 Vipers have. Even though the numbers on the SRT-10 are nice, I would go with the car that has about the same number and looks like something in my dreams. Dodge is pretty ignorant if they think looks don't matter when someone is considering buying a car. I don't think it is impossible to achieve both and we should expect both. Dodge missed the mark this time, and the GT40 will teach Dodge a lesson.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Houss:
The key word in your last post was VERY important....

MAY

Viper has proven track performance! ... and Team Viper is just adding to this proven recipe for success!

GT40 ..... well, ahem, .... uh ..... nice LOOKING car.

...and when will it be ready for production? What engine? How much? durability? track worthiness?

Sorry! Too many unknowns!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

None of that really matters. When will DC understand? It's the LOOKS! LOOKS! Performace can be ok, that's what aftermarket is for... Look at all of us... We mostly bought the GenI's with no proven track performance..

I agree. That GT-40 looks incredible. And if it IS in the price range of the Viper, I'm switching once I can afford it in couple years.. Gotta find a used one though
smile.gif

With the hum drum looks of the new Viper. DC better get ready for mass production to appeal to the general public...
laugh.gif

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact is, we never had to discuss styling on this board before because we have had great lines for 10 years! Now that the SRT/10
is a little bland, that should open up the after market for body upgrades. Where all we needed before, were go fast parts.

(If I were Autoform I would be VERY HAPPY!) Lots of body work to be done on the new Viper.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a long time fan of the GT40 I can say that the original and the current prototype version are much better looking than the CURRENT Viper, hands down! I have always admired the GT40 for what it was, and until Viper came along, the Cobra held a special place in my heart also.

Viper ignited the whole performance revolution for the 90's and beyond. The GT40 is something that we, as sports car aficionados should all be very happy about seeing come to production. The mere presence of this formidable car is going to push Viper to even higher levels of performance in the coming years.

Now, does the fact (in my eyes) that the GT40 is more aesthetically appealing mean that it could reduce my love and admiration for Viper? Hell no. The Viper has more heritage, future, any a more loyal following than any other vehicle produced, EVER! For those that think a GT40 is going to out-perform that SRT/10, I think you may be doing a little too much assuming? According to GT40 owners, the original was blindingly fast, but god help you if you needed to try and steer it. With all the weight over the rear axle, turning was always a hair raising experience.

What is amazing me is the fact that the GT40 does not even have an engine assigned to the program, and everyone out there is under the assumption that is can already beat a Viper that is proven! I hope the GT40 chases the Viper, and in some years even gets a slight lead. This scenario will serve all you Speed nuts with the fastest Viper's ever produced.

If memory serves me right, at many times in our lives there has been more than ONE choice for a dream car?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Newport Viper:
The fact is, we never had to discuss styling on this board before because we have had great lines for 10 years! Now that the SRT/10
is a little bland, that should open up the after market for body upgrades. Where all we needed before, were go fast parts.

(If I were Autoform I would be VERY HAPPY!) Lots of body work to be done on the new Viper.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly something I've been thinking about for a while, think I'll start a new thread
smile.gif

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the GT-40 may be a great car....but really....Is that the best Ford can come up with? Too many criticize the NEW SRT/10 but think about this. Dodge created a NEW icon in sportscars...THE VIPER! The best Ford can do is resurrect a 40 year old car....and we should get excited about that??? The NEW Viper may be more civilized in looks, but I would rather stay with a brand that leads by creating new and bold ideas....Hey Chrysler/Dodge can out with the Ram truck and now ALL trucks look like the Ram. They created the Prowler and the PT Cruiser and had the jahounies to build them. Chryler and Dodge LEAD in creating new car concepts and bringing them to fruition. SORRY KEEP THE GT-40....ITS OLD....ITS FORTY YEARS AGO....IT DOES NOTHING FOR ME!!!!!
When the GT-40 is made over say two yeara of production...then what? Will it go thru an evolution like the Viper....DOUBT IT. Ford is a has been in sports cars...it has been for many years!

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT-40 looks way better than the SRT/10 I've done my own polls by printing out a picture of both then asking which car people would prefer. It was unanimous the GT-40 won. Some of the comments about the SRT/10 was "what kind of car is that" then I tell them it's a Viper and its "No?? that's the new Viper (with a bit of disgust)" If DC want's to build a high end Corvette and put the Viper logo on it, I say let them. After all doesn't the current Vette out sell the Viper 20 to 1? So if that's their intent it'll probably work.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Could you Post a pic of the GT-40? I haven't seen it yet.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must be registered for see images

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
As a long time fan of the GT40 I can say that the original and the current prototype version are much better looking than the CURRENT Viper, hands down!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But
I bet the New SRT/10 looks
WAYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than the GT40
right Steve ???
Wink Wink nudge nudge say no more say no more
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads