GTS 2000 vs Paxton supercharger

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to know if a Paxton supercharger (7 lbs) is safe on a 2000 GTS with cast pistons. Some people say that it is OK others are saying that I have to upgrade to forged pistons. What is your experience?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And as long as you listen to your car. If you are the type of person who sees the gas pedal as an on/off switch, then a supercharger on a 2000 may not be for you. Sure it'll run good most of the time... but with cast pistons, the margin for error is small.

good luck!!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As said by Joseph Dell, " Factory doesn't bolt on a7# Paxton.."

Stock is made for ******** and any changes from that are not covered for breakage. That being said, along with all the other comments of IQ etc. the Paxton only makes the boost at high rpms so if you take it easy it's a low boost level and should be fine, unless you run out of gas during WOT, Have a tune issue, put your spark plugs on wrong coil terminals, overheat and WOT. etc.

If you have the slightest concern, add a MSD Boost A Pump and instal a Walbro fuel pump. Never run Wide Open Throttle/WOT with less than a quarter tank of fuel.

If you're worried about it, call Searn Roe (Roe Racing Viper Performance Parts) and speakmto him about a water/**** injection kit as well for the chemical intercooling.

Ted

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will be fine as long as you get it tuned at a reputable place. Listen to what your tuner recommends. As long as you got plenty of fuel during tuning, you shouldn't have to add anything. But, like RTTTTed said, a BAP would be a good piece of mind thing to add. They are easy to install, work well, and not that expensive. Good luck!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ditch the paton fuel system and do a custom one. that will be the best money you can spend on the car with a paxton other than a good tuner.

and its piece of mind.

OP
OP
G

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it cames wuth duel pumps.

I also intend to go with head porting and roller rockers. I tried to reach Greg Good for the last two days and no luck. I noticed that Jeff (Striker heads) is also porting heads, any comments on his porting?

Thanks

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to talk with DC as well, they have managed to impress me with who ever ports their heads. At the last dyno day they had a gen 3 with ported heads and some supporting mods make nearly 600rwhp.

But Greg Good seems to be the man when it comes to viper heads.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you search you'll find that Sean Roe sells ported heads.

Where do you live? I occaissionally port heads for friends. Not proffessionally anymore though.

I think I agree with Plum that Greg's the best for hp, valves, seats, etc.

Ted

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you search you'll find that Sean Roe sells ported heads.

Where do you live? I occaissionally port heads for friends. Not proffessionally anymore though.

I think I agree with Plum that Greg's the best for hp, valves, seats, etc.

Ted

Last I checked on the ROE heads, they were just stock castings with bigger valves and a valve job. I do not believe that he actually ports them. Someone else might be able to confirm.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If not using an upgraded fuel system someone should check the Voltage at the fuel pump. At WOT the Stealth R/T TT has only 7 volts at the pump. Bein much less hp than a Viper the fuelm pump is good until about 450hp, but since running out of fuel has a tendency to blow engines, it's always better safe than sorry.

The MSD BAP is vac/boost adjustable and can be adjsuted to as much as 21 Volts which increases fuel pump output at WOT, as it should be.

Ted

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My BAP works OK as long as I nail the throttle at low RPM and rev it from there. Pulls a strong 11.5 AFR throughout the pull on my #10 ROE set-up. If I stab it at 3500 RPM, RPMs build too fast and the BAP can't keep up. I'm now too lean at a 13+ AFR and have to back off. Nice having a WB in the cockpit to track this stuff. Now that I know this about my specific set-up, a new fuel system is now being engineered.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EllowViper,

Your statement makes absolutely no sense the BAP should react the same way no matter what RPM you hit the throttle at.

What are you using for a wide band monitor/sensor? And where is it reading from?

Reaction score
Properly tuned at 7 psi of boost on a 2000 should not be a problem. Although the Paxton kit was designed to be used on a "stock" 2000 engine. Once you start adding exhaust and other mods in addition to the Paxton unit the factory fuel system runs lean and needs attention.

Best of Luck!

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but I have an Innovate LC-1 WB in my collector with a piller mount. The BAP is running on the totally stock fuel system. From a dig in 3rd at 2000 RPM...no problem. AFR holds just fine to redline in 3/4th gear. From a dig at 3500 in 3rd. My AFR never drops below 13 and I start getting audible detonation. One could argue my fuel scaling is all hosed up and I simply need to adjust. However, I do my tuning from a 2000 RPM dig in 4th to redline and I'm rock solid at 11.5 AFR. I'm indicating 13+ PSI on my log and boost gauge so I'm only getting 42-43 PSI fuel pressure realized at the injectors. That is another related issue using the stock fuel system that isn't boost referenced so as you build boost, you lose fuel pressure (55 PSI regulated fuel pressure - 13 PSI boost = 42 PSI realized fuel presusre). I think the BAP responds very quickly in regards to getting voltage to the pump (that's all it does) but the pump can't get the additional "flow" from the back of the car, overcoming manifold pressure, as fast as the engine revs when firewalling at at a hgher RPM. My theory from what I believe is happening. Can't prove it. It would be interesting to actually test by logging fuel pressure and flow. Like I stated, from a longer, slower pull, the BAP seems to be able to keep pace. From higher RPMs, things are just happening too fast for the system to react.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible that your attempts were done with the tank being low on fuel?

The thing is your setup should not be affected by rpm, unless there is a physical problem. Like a wire coming loose, or fuel level being too low.

I would be very concerned, detonation of any type on any motor is failure waiting to happen.

Do a fuel system, or at least try to fix the problem with this one. Have you considered putting a pump inline and have it come on under boost? It would spike your pressure to never never land but thats how Paxton does it with their fuel setup and it kinda seems to work ok up to a point.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh..there are things I could do no doubt...change the original OEM fuel filter for one (38K miles on it), but I always knew the BAP was going to be a stop-gap solution until I engineered a real fuel system. I'll just keep peddling around this issue for now...not that its an issue that often. But I keep my eyes on it. Thanks for all the ideas!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang