GTS-R V10 to V8 change

walter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Racers,

i heard that for the FIA championship they change the v10 engine with a new crankshaft, camshaft and removing two pistons and conrods, and of course other mods like ECU. Crankcase remains the same.

After that they have a 5.99 Litres engine with fits into a new class.

Sounds strange!

Any hints? Does it work?

Greetings

W.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The truth is that they have installed a Daimler Chrysler V8 instead of the V10... (Mercedes V8)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tommy did run the Trans Am Viper, but it has since been retired and is often seen for sale in Autoweek or SportsCar ( SCCA's monthly magazine). It did run a V8 , and is under the Heading of Cinjo Racing. It ran well for the brief time it was eligible. Hope this answers your question?

OP
OP
W

walter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of the posts above answer my questions.

Of course you can install a V8 engine, but therefore you have to cut out parts from your frame, so its not possible to go back to the v10 engine.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and the question was...?

None of the posts above answer my questions.

Of course you can install a V8 engine, but therefore you have to cut out parts from your frame, so its not possible to go back to the v10 engine.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
are you suggesting to just take the 10 cyl crank out and replace it with an 8 cyl even fire crank and then take out two (which two?) pistons & rods?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the viper engine started life as a chrysler/dodge 360 and had two cylinders grafted onto the block. the very early prototypes also ran w/ v8 power until the v10 was ready. i have also seen in viper mag. a guy who put a 426 hemi into an RT. sir hiss the drag car is also a v8. so it can and has been done. although the trans am cars are really as much a viper, as those nascar cars are monte carlos, and sebrings, ie: tube frames, all racing components, and thin fiberglass bodies in what ever shape you want. the trans am and nascar cars w/o a skin look pretty similar. now my question for you are you rebuilding a car? have a salvage you want to reincarnate cheaper? what would it be worth when you sell it, how much do you think you'd have to put into it to make it work?

OP
OP
W

walter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a) question was: read my first post
b) no i don't want to rebuild my car. This question only matters the racers who wants to compete in a different class with max. 5.999 litres cubic capacity.
and this relates only for gts-r which has different frame from stock viper.
c) yes, just use a new crankshaft for 8 cylinders in a crankcase with 10 bores. and new camshaft.

even for me this sounds strange so i just want to know about if someone heard of this or running a car with this mod.

Thanks

w.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Half of our team is racing the FIA GT series with a GTS/R Viper. According to them is the plan to use the Mercedes Benz V8 in the Vipers for next season. Mercedes and Chrysler is the same family now, so it is ok to change engines (Family business) according to the FIA rules.
/JP
a) question was: read my first post
b) no i don't want to rebuild my car. This question only matters the racers who wants to compete in a different class with max. 5.999 litres cubic capacity.
and this relates only for gts-r which has different frame from stock viper.
c) yes, just use a new crankshaft for 8 cylinders in a crankcase with 10 bores. and new camshaft.

even for me this sounds strange so i just want to know about if someone heard of this or running a car with this mod.

Thanks

w.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** I hate race politics!

Politics and sport - they're like two *** lovers!!!

If a car runs an 8 litre V10 it should be able to be hotted up as much as they like and race the dang thing - not make it breathe through a straw, or carry lead ballast. It'll still get beat on tighter tracks which will even out its dominance on longer tracks.

Everyone has to be so dang the same - they might as well all race themselves - the only thing different on many race cars is the brand and body - can't have anyone being bigger or better can we?

Remember the 917/30 Can Am? The Cobra 427SC? The 427 GT40 mark III?

These were giant killers - all dead - the world is too PC now. Everyone has to be the same - I hate it.

I'm over it now - time for my pills :mad: :smirk: