GTS Rollbar Questions...

D

DAMN YANKEE

Hey folks, I know nothing about adding a rollbar into a GTS (2000).

Is the stock GTS hood worth anything in a roll over?
Is it a big deal to add a rollbar?
How much cutting and drilling?
Can a 6 foot plus guy still get in there and not loose any headroom/left arm room?
Getting in and out?
Is one design better than another?
Adding one (perfectly) really mess up resale?

Much apprciated..

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most setups (rollbars not rollcages) are bolt it and won't really impede on the cockpit area. The downtubes are behind the seat so it shouldn't interfere with arm movement. The main inconvienience is going to be rearward visibility.

Here are some pics, not sure which brand this is but just to give you a general idea...

You must be registered for see images attach

Here are some pics of the Autopower rollbar in my Z, (shameless plug) I have zero regrets about the modification. It added chassis rigidity that was unexpected, the Viper probably won't gain much since it's already so darn stiff. The bar looks nice and adds a hint of insight on the cars intent. I love it.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autoform (a site sponsor) makes a great product and supply a rear bulhead panel that replaces the stock one so you dont have to modify that piece and car return to stock relatively easily. You will also want to end your search and purchace from JonB at www.partsrack.com

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

Many thanks all. Street use here.

Are we drilling through the body and bolting? How do we get to the underside bolt to place the nuts? I can't quite make out what is happening at the base of each pole run.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I helped install a Autoform rollbar in a RT/10, but I'd think the install is relatively similar. Be SURE you have a dremel. You'll need it to access the pre-drilled holes where the rollbar will mount behind the seats. To access the bolts that go under the car, we just laid on the driveway and tightened them down. They are close enough to the side of the car where you dont have to be completely under the car to reach the bolts. We didnt take any pics, but email 02ViperTodd (VCA user name) and he can probably help you out. Or you can ask me, but Todd probably remembers more than I do. Or either Joseph Dell, I'm sure he can help too

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also if your going to put in 5 or 6 pts harnesses when you do the rollbar is the time. the bulkhead is already off and the seats are already out, the harness intall from there is mostly done
4963vipe_wheel_007.jpg

4963vipe_wheel_004.jpg

ya i know its an SRT but it is an Autoform roll bar and TeamTech 6 pts all from JonB www.partsrack.com

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

Guess who :D I smell another Illustrated updgrade coming :2tu: The top bar in the RaceYellow GTS is mine :cool: :eek:

One of my first projects, even before my Big Brake Kits :2tu:

Dave

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

Just got off the line with Tony at Autoform, great emails from Dave, and my thanks again to everybody that provided information.

This operation looks straightforward. Whereas the Viper is a handbuilt car, the feeling is that this is a bolt-it-in operation (as in no drilling, maybe some slight filing/grinding of the bar pads to fit. Seats come out and your on your way.

Also, doesn't appear that there is much in the stock roof system.

Reaction score
I installed an AutoForm rollbar myself.

NOT hard.
Time consuming to do it right.
Pretty messy, but easily cleans up.

There is a thread about my old car on Ebay....the Ebay link has some good detailed pix.