Happy to be a new Viper owner and VCA member

Bauerjp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After searching over the summer for an exciting muscle car, I picked up a red 2003 SRT with only 3490 miles. I couldn't be happier with my choice. The only thing more exciting than admiring the car in the garage is driving the car around town. I found the VCA while searching the web for some information about my car and I've been very impressed with the great questions and answers. I'm really excited to now be part of this great community.
You must be registered for see images attach

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! Where region of the country do you get to enjoy driving in?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the club, and welcome to the ViperNation.

Owning a Viper is as much about the people as about the car.

First rule of Viper ownership is to have the steering wheel pointed straight ahead, and a clear path in front of you before any full throttle action.

With some time behind the wheel you will learn about the fantastic handling your car provides, but in the beginning, straight aheads only when under full steam.

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine is an 03 as well. I have a few more miles than you but still I am guessing you have the ORIGINAL tires like I do. If so, those tires are nearly 12 years old and hard as rocks. Be careful. Mine are OEM, very hard, and offer poor traction. I am getting a new set of Nitto Invos soon. Mine is a daily driver in a small town...so no race track time or anything like that. Just the occasional blast on a paved road outside of town. You can tell the age of the tires by looking at the numbers on the sidewall. The last four numbers will say something like.....3403. That means the tires were made in the 34th week of 2003. Or basically 11 years old. So even though you may have lots of tread left....the tires are probably not very sticky if they are the originals.

Glad you have you join the club. I have learned so much from this forum. Congrats on your Viper! -Kirk

OP
OP
B

Bauerjp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great advice Paul and Kirk. I took a look at my tires and they are still original, code 3902. That explains a lot about my first couple experiences driving the car. I spun it sideways within the first 5 minutes of it being off the trailer. I've been keeping it slower and straight ever since.

Jason

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of members have taken off those old run flats and replaced them with fresh standard tires.

Best deal now seems to be the new Michelin Pilot SuperSports. They run quiet, don't trammel, stick like glue and last longer than most.
Believe you can get them inexpensively from VPA and have them mounted locally. Saves some taxes and supports the club (VCA owns VPA)
They also work well if you are going to take your car to the track, so very versitile tire.

Nittos used to be cheaper, but I think you can get even better deals on SuperSports. Nittos are lower profile and look great, so some like them also.

As your car is 11 years old, you will also want to check the brake fluid and change it if it is black.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've got SuperSports on my 04 and my parents have Invos on their 03. Tires have a fairly similar feel from the little I've driven their car, though I can't speak for longevity or hard driving on the Invos. The SuperSports lasted me 25k miles on the rear, fronts are still half tread (daily driver, but mostly highway miles). They're still a little loose until they warm up in colder weather, but you just have to pay attention to conditions and not do anything stupid, which is really advice that applies to any car.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As your car is 11 years old, you will also want to check the brake fluid and change it if it is black.

Agreed ! But I'd say, change it if it is anything other than honey / veg oil colored. Best to start ownership of a performance car with known fluid conditions, especially brakes. I never hear of boiling brakes on the street (except long downhill runs); but, given the propensity of brake fluid to absorb moisture, you can get corrosion in the system over time, leading to earlier than normal failures of master and wheel cylinders.

Likewise for the clutch fluid.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. A new 11 year old car has 11 year old fluids in it.
Change them all.

.......or just drive like hell until it starts having problems, and hassle with it then.

Vipers are mechanically almost bullet-proof. But only if they are well maintained.
Those of us that hammer on our cars don't have problems due to diligent fluid changes and frequent inspections.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, welcome. I drove mine yesterday and saw a nice grey Gen 2 RT10 and later that day a Gen 4 Silver with black stripes. Today I saw a 2014 Orange TA. The family is growing here in North Texas with a bastard child or two.