Hats Off to Heffner

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friends;

I'm a fairly new Viper owner and this is my first post--one that is a pleasure making. I Recently had Jason Heffner install his "575" package on my 2002 GTS--which I use as a daily driver. After a week and a couple hundred miles on the mods I can enthusiastically say that the car pulls way stronger, runs cooler, is fuel efficient (ie, for a Viper with 501 RWHP), and is as friendly as before. I couldn't be happier with Jason's work and service--he's already contacted me twice to ensure I'm pleased, answer questions etc.

Although I'm new to Vipers--I'm not new to working with tuners on previous cars. Working with Jason is a pleasure. He delivered what he said he would, when he said he would, for the quoted price and threw in an oil and coolant change. I trust him, recommend his work, and invite anyone in the Washington, DC area to stop by any time and check out the car.

One other thing. In the three or four months I've cruised the forum, I've been constantly impressed with the quality of data you all provide and your willingness to help anyone in need. Proud to be among you.

OP
OP
W

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David;

Mods include:

-New heads (polished intake and exhaust runners, polished combustion chambers, heavier valve springs, larger intake and exhaust valves, titanium value retainers, milled deck surface raising compression ratio to 10:1)

-Chromoly pushrods
-T&D roller rockers
-B&B 1 3/4 headers and Hi flow cats
-Corsa 3"
-Custom Airbox with K&Ns
-Smooth tubes

As an extra, I also asked Jason to put in 3.55 and short throw. Life is good.

I will post a picture of the car soon.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only thing left is to have Jason install a TOOFAST NOS system,which includes a top secret driving tip usefull with your new power.Yeah he's alright.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear that I met your expectations Walt, keep me informed of how things are going with that monster of a daily driver.

TOOOFST, is that all I am is "all right"? Let me know when you're getting to this area. We'll definitely get together.

Bob, now that your new engine is broken in it's time to start making some power.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brother Jason,I'll be calling you out late NOV.We're buidling a staircase in your town.I'll have my ironworkers with so get your rest now.I made a DVD of the Viper worlds with the Heffner car running 10's all day,i'll send off a copy.Scott

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walt -- good stuff, your modifications sound very similar to what I had on my yellow car prior to the Doug Levin insanity
smile.gif
A couple questions:

1. You don't list lifters in your modifications -- are you still using the stock lifters, or did they get replaced along with the pushrods & rockers?
2. How do you find the 3.55 combined with all that power? My experience with similar power levels (515 RWHP / 525 RWTQ) and the stock 3.07 was that first gear would barely hold in warm weather and would spin in cool weather; I have to think that with a 3.55 you'll spin through first unless you've improved traction in the car (quaiffe? suspension?). Comments?

Again, glad to hear there's another heads+boltons "creampuff" out there. We can run with the pre-00 "paint shakers"
supergrin.gif

OP
OP
W

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben;

Appreciate the post. I've enjoyed reading your stuff for some time.

You quickly got right to my newbie status. Don't know the answer to the lifter question for sure but think stock. I invite Jason to come up and comment on this and other aspects of the package.

As for 3.55s it was a judgement call. My past experience was that most of my daily "fun" begins in second or third gear and, as you know better than I, this helps there a good bit. On a side note, I've driven it in the rain twice and so far so good. However I do pay stict attention in first--or take off in second. If I ever decide to drag the car, I'll be asking you for advice on gearing--and a bunch of other stuff.

Ben, does the fact that you started out with mods similiar to mine mean there are 900 hp in my future? Nice thought.

Walt

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben, Walts car does still have the stock lifters in it. It is a 2002 car with low miles and I could not justify replacing them.

Being as the car is primarily a street car and not a drag car the 3.55 gears add to the fun of driving it.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you like the 3.55s with that much horsepower, more speed to ya
smile.gif
For anything above 1st gear it should be great, and the gears will work very well at the dragstrip with the proper tires.

A word of caution -- you will eventually get bored with 500 RWHP. I'm sure Jason's already got something for you when you come back for your next helping from the Power Buffet (tm)

OP
OP
W

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean;

Thanks for the post--and sorry I missed you. Will take the advice about *****. Not sure where you are in SC but it's a great place--love the low country. I bought this car in Savannah Georgia and go there often.

Anyhow, I've got a guest room with your name on it if you get back this way.

Picture this weekend.

pjb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Walt..the car sounds awesome! You're right around the corner from me. A couple of friends of mine (also in the area) have heffner sc'd vipers. Needless to say those things are absolute BEASTS! Hope to catch up with you around town
smile.gif

OP
OP
W

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PJB;

Also hope to run into you. The only other Viper I've seen on the road around here is a red GTS in the McLean area.

I hear you about Jasons S/C package. Sort of spoke for itself at VOI from what I read.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've seen, Jason does quality work and that 575 package sounds like it's making tons of power!

Hmm... how did you leave his shop without a supercharger? I don't think I could have exercised that much restraint. His SC makes a lot of power on a stock car - imagine what it would do on yours! egads!

OP
OP
W

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike;

Good question--I suspect Jason will be seeing me again. At one point, while the car was on the dyno, we were discussing next steps and this came up. Jason also commented that he had "a 540 cid kit upstairs"--something you can appreciate. We just looked at each other and grinned.

Have you noticed that having a Viper on a dyno attracts men like moths to a flame? We had quite a little gathering before we finished dialing in. Jason is so patient...

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walt,

GREAT MODS! I plan on installing the same exhaust system (B&B 1 3/4 headers, Hi flow cats, and 3' Corsa). I currently have stock headers, hi-flow cats, and the 2.5' Corsa, which a really like. With my future SC plans, I will be upgrading to your system. I already purchased the High-Flow cats and 3' Corsa system. Only headers needed....

If you don't mind, here are a few questions:

How does the system sound?

How is the heat on the side sills, etc...?

Did you have any check engine lights activated by the headers?

Were you able to use the front stock O2 sensors?

Are you using the stock heat shields above the headers?

From my research, these headers are stainless steel. Did you have them heat coated?

Do the headers increase underhood temps.?

Thanks in advance for your info.....

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll answer some of the technical questions for you but I'll leave the opinionative questions to Walt. I was able to use the stock front 02 sensors, B&B has relocated the sensor bungs farther upstream which has allowed them to work properly. For this reason there is not and should not be any check engine light. The stock heat shields can be reinstalled but are not on Walt's car, the headers just look too good to cover up. They are not ceramic coated. As for how it sounds and the side sill temperature, I'll let Walt answer that question.

OP
OP
W

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Onerareviper;

First, thanks to Jason for the assist.

There is a fair bit of traffic on the site about sound and one theme seems to be "louder is better." I understand that sound is pretty subjective, but I was going for a deep exhaust note and one that is bearable around the neighborhood. I drive the car a lot and want the neighbors to stay reasonable happy. Anyhow, Jason assured me that this setup would do it.

When I picked the car up, I let it idle next to a stock viper and liked the sound better and noted it wasn't much louder at all--until you nail it. At WOT it's much louder but--that's cool. Simply said, Jason did what I asked.

Side sills are noticeably cooler==credit the high flow cats. As for under hood temps it appears to be running a bit cooler, at least from the guage--and that with the shields off. Those 1 3/4 B&Bs do look real nice--Jason understands aesthetics.

Hope I didn't forget anything==but if so I'll fix. Imagine a 575 crank horsepower, ultra driveable viper that is out there everyday intimidating 911's by the bushel! Life is good my friend.