Heater problem?? Help!!

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My heater in my 98 gts allways blows cold air out of the dash vents by the radio and the other lower dash vents (when the fan is on). It does not matter if it is on the defrost or floor heat or the mix, hot air is coming out of those vents (defrost and floor) at the same time???:mad:

Anybody have this problem, or better yet know how to fix it?:confused:

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if its like the 94 the defrost vents and floor vents are for heat and the front vents are for fresh and cool air conditioned air . When the front vents are selected outside air comes through the instrument panel outlets.Air will enter the vehicle with or without the blower in operation.
look in you operators manual
hope this helps

OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if its like the 94 the defrost vents and floor vents are for heat and the front vents are for fresh and cool air conditioned air . When the front vents are selected outside air comes through the instrument panel outlets.Air will enter the vehicle with or without the blower in operation.
look in you operators manual
hope this helps

You are correct but the cold out side air is coming in all the time, doesnt matter where the heater controls are, it will turn off with the fan but if the fan is on it is blowing cold all the time out of the vents.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Clint,

The problem is with the fresh air door, it is located on the side of your right toe box. If you open your hood and take off the three attaching screws/nuts that hold the A/C intake plenum [the black box that has the 4' hole in it that lines up with your hood speaker]. When you get it off, you'll see the fresh air door. Either the vacuum actuator is bad or there is no vacuum to it or there is a problem with the door [stuck]?
Hope this helps?
914-763-3136

OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to start out with thank you for the help guys, but you all happen to be wrong:D.

The fresh air door you guys where talking about was working fine.
All of the acctuators seemed to be work fine as well.

This is what I found.
01-22-08_2022.jpg

That is a vent screen that goes in the crotch vent, like this.
01-22-08_2024.jpg

It had fallen down into the inside of the heater and was blocking the inside door from closing off the cold air to the AC vents, it also was robbing alot of air flow from the heat vents.
So if you have this problem look into the lower vent on the passenger side, if you dont see this
01-22-08_2038.jpg

Maybe your problem is as simple as mine was.

I think this may be a freak thing, it would be strange for this happen like this again but there will be somthing to search fro now!!:)

My car has had this problem since I bought it, I just thought the heater was crappy (sports car who needs it) but now that it is working correctly, It works great!!:headbang:

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks thats great I have the same problem on the GT2 and never really had the time to check but I am now spurred on to check this weekend.

Cause its getting near the running season.

OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Technically, the contributors to this thread weren't wrong. It was just advice. Advise here is usually not right or wrong, just good or bad.

So you tell Chuck Tator he was giving bad advise...

The advise Chuck gave me eventually lead me to my problem, it was great advise!!
My problem just happen to be its own freak anomaly, one that may not happen again.

Once again THANK YOU CHUCK!!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all you Gen 1 owners, instead of the fancy vent screen, there is a big ol' washer to restrict air to the passenger side and force more to the driver's side. FYI.

OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went out for a drive last night, it was 28 deg. out and I wasnt freezing my butt of for the first time ever in this car!!
Its about time!!

OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have been having a cold but dry and sunny week, it is rare and I took advantage of it!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC