Heel Toe Shifting a 2008 Viper

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just got a 2008. I'm tying to learn heel toe shifting. I have lots of track experience with Vets. I could get away without blipping the throttle on downshifts if I was tight on timing. Yes, I went through a lot of clutches, but normally the rear was stable.

With the Viper the rear wheels break loose if you don't blip the throttle. How do you brake and blip? If you foot is half on the brake then it hits the throttle. I'm trying to keep the ball of my foot on the brake and rotate my heel to the throttle but it feels clumsy.

Don't flame me for a simple question, I'm sure most of you have mastered this. Thanks for the advice.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We just got a 2008. I'm tying to learn heel toe shifting. I have lots of track experience with Vets. I could get away without blipping the throttle on downshifts if I was tight on timing. Yes, I went through a lot of clutches, but normally the rear was stable.

With the Viper the rear wheels break loose if you don't blip the throttle. How do you brake and blip? If you foot is half on the brake then it hits the throttle. I'm trying to keep the ball of my foot on the brake and rotate my heel to the throttle but it feels clumsy.

Don't flame me for a simple question, I'm sure most of you have mastered this. Thanks for the advice.

The peddles on the viper are very close together which can make heel and toe shifting a bit tricky. I have found the best method is to use the side of my foot instead of the ball and heel. I sort of rock my foot side to side so i can work the throttle and brake simultaneously. Takes a bit of getting used to, but works well once you get the hang of it. Practice the technique when you are doing normal street driving and by the time you head to the track it will be second nature.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The peddles on the viper are very close together which can make heel and toe shifting a bit tricky. I have found the best method is to use the side of my foot instead of the ball and heel. I sort of rock my foot side to side so i can work the throttle and brake simultaneously. Takes a bit of getting used to, but works well once you get the hang of it. Practice the technique when you are doing normal street driving and by the time you head to the track it will be second nature.

Definitely the way it's done....

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Valentine and Sweet, thanks. I'm working on it but can't seem to get it.

Do you blip the throttle while you are starting to release the brake? I'm trying to blip and match revs while I'm on the brake.

Are you using the side of your foot on the throttle or the bottom?

Do you keep the ball of your foot on the brake? Or the toes?

I want to learn this. Thanks.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try wearing wider shoes so you can have more meat on the brake peddle and catch the gas with the side of your foot. If your like me, when your coming into a corner fast enough to NEED to heel n toe, you don't want you foot slipping off the brake peddle.:omg:

Also, I find if your practice during spirited driving and with a sense of urgency it come much more natural. Give the gas peddle a "good" blip then right out with the clutch.

And for those who have seen me doing it, stop laughing.:mad:

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely the way it's done....

+1

The way I was taught and the way I have always seen it on videos.

As your driving improves you WILL need to heel/toe. The pedals in the '08 Viper are great for this. The key (besides practicing the correct technique) is to get your seating position appropriate so you are in a good position to reach the pedals, etc.

Have fun.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you blip the throttle while you are starting to release the brake? I'm trying to blip and match revs while I'm on the brake.

Try a Google search for heel/toe shifting. There was a great video of a rally car driver--I think Sebastian Loeb--heel-toeing like crazy. There are different styles and of course different configurations of pedals between cars, and between race cars and street cars.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Blip the throttle as you apply brakes and just before you let the clutch out. If you are shedding a lot of speed and down shifting thru multiple gears, repeat the procedure for each downshift to avoid locking up the rear tires or upsetting the suspension. Don't worry about getting an exact rev match. Just get the hang of the basics first. Generally, I look to hit about 3500 to 4000 rpm on the blip, but I don't try to watch the tach. After some practice, you can tell when you have it right by the engine pitch.

I am using the ball of my foot (and first couple of toes) on the brake since you need more leverage there, and then the side of my foot for the throttle. I have small feet (size 8), so if I can do it, pretty much anyone can. AsI mentioned before, the peddles are very close to together. When I drive my STi, I do true heel-toe shifting since the peddles are much further apart then my Viper. Took a bit of practice, but I can now do either method with relative ease.

Keep trying. Once you get the hang of it, you will wonder why you ever thought it was hard to do. Adds a lot of fun to your driving experience.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no substitute for a formal driving school to learn proper technique. All the well known schools spend quite a bit of time teaching this skill. It is a necessary skill to acquire.:)

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I find if you place your heel between the break and gas on the floor your foot is on an angel toes pointing towards the break then you just rock your foot over to the gas it works you will get it

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's just one of several guides on how to heel and toe downshift:

Heel and Toe Downshift

I also agree that in the 2003-2008 Vipers the approach that works best for me is to apply pressure to the brake pedal using the upper left side of your right fooot (the "ball" of your right foot) while blipping the throttle with the upper right side of the same foot. I try to practice this wherever I drive and eventually it will become second nature. Just keep practicing.

/Rich

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang