Help! Front license plate woes

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a ticket the other day for "no front license plate". ********. The freakin cop pulled me over right IN THE MIDDLE of the 110 freeway during rush hour(you know that tiny strip on the 110N between the regular lanes and the exit lanes?) :evilmad:

Has anyone else gotten one? The cop said if that I made a good case in front of a judge, the judge would not make me put it on. He also said that you couldn't put it on the dashboard, but I don't see why not, considering the text of the law. I was cited under CVC 5200(a). It makes no reference to the fashion in which the license plate is affixed to the vehicle. I don't think any of the provisions of 5201(f) or 5201(g) would apply, would they? I wouldn't consider the windshield to be a "security device". Also, under 5200(a), it doesn't specify how it is to be attached. Do you think I could get away with blue-taping the license plate to the air-dam right before getting it inspected?
Text of law

Should I just give up and ruin the front-end(and obstruct the radiator)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RainMaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have those same clips and also ordered it from Jon B. I have it in the trunk just in case I do get pulled over.

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one from the parts rack and carry it in the trunk. CHP pulled me over for no front plate, my excuse was I just came from the track and they made me remove it and I forgot to reinstall it. I said its in the trunk and takes 5 sec to install. I asked if it was ok to open my trunk (CHP love to look in your trunk) he said yes and gave the trunk the once over, I installed plate and was on my way. It came off when I got home. Call Jon at parts rack..best money I have spent next to my V1.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I argued that it is a specialized vehicle with the officer. I was given a warning and he said while he wouldn't pull me over again, another officer might. It's $20 if I ever did get a ticket for it in CO. No biggie.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't really know but am going to guess they mean the Valentine 1 radar detector.

By the way, I also have gotten a ticket for no front plate. I now have one on but hate it and grin.

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waste, I just take the ticket. The same cop has ticketed me 5 times in the past 3 years. I just pass over the paper work and deal with it. NO SCREWS on the bumper.

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He also said that you couldn't put it on the dashboard, but I don't see why not, considering the text of the law. I was cited under CVC 5200(a). It makes no reference to the fashion in which the license plate is affixed to the vehicle. I don't think any of the provisions of 5201(f) or 5201(g) would apply, would they? I wouldn't consider the windshield to be a "security device". Also, under 5200(a), it doesn't specify how it is to be attached.

Dude, the laws are written in such a way as to make it just ever so slightly vague, and that no one section completely encompasses the rules regarding a certain item. And it's on purpose.

look at section 26708.

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before i got my bracket from Partsrack, I reported my front license plate missing/stolen to the local police. They enter it in the computer. Got pulled over once in the 2 years I did that and the cop called in and confirmed it had been reported missing....let me go. I finally just decided to put it in the trunk and do the ole...oooops...I just washed it and forgot to put it back on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery