Help, loss of power

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm looking for some input and guidance so the dealer can fix it right the third time. I have a 2000 GTS ACR that has been acting up. When you give it the gas with any type of load, you lose power. I can drive on the highway fine at 70 mph. Sounds good. If I step on it it justs sits there and acellerates very slowly. As soon as I let off the gas, the car will surge forward for a second and then settle down. We thought that it might be the cats, but they check out fine. They already replaced all the O2 sensors and plugs (no help). They are thinking now that it is related to the fuel system. What I was told is that there are two floats in the tank and that one is somehow related to the fuel flow when under WOT. It somehow opens the fule line or activates a second pump? Does not sound right to me. They now want to drain the tank and check it out. I have only used major brand premium gas, I have never purchased cheap gas (but that does not mean that I never got any I guess). Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A fuel filter might cause this.

The logic would be that the flow through the filter can handle a moderate demand but when the requirement is high the flow is inadequate.

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I WOULD CONSIDER GETTING TO A TUNNER SUCH AS BOBBY ARHER'S MOTOR SPORTS IN FT WORTH TEXAS OR CALLING THEM.I MAY BE A CAM SCENSER OR FUEL PROBLEM OR AS EASY AS A GROUND THAT LOSSENS WHEN ENGINE IS UNDER TORQUE.
MARK AT VIPER SPEED FT WORTH

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt,
Attach a fuel pressure gauge (you're welcome to borrow mine) to the manifold and route the hose between the hood and cowel. Tape the gauge to the windshield so you can see it while driving. Take it for a spin. If the pressure drops when you floor it then it's most likely the fuel filter or pump.
Bruce

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P.S. On 2000's, the fuel filter is part of the pump, so it's a real hassle to replace. So make sure you or the dealer really diagnose to pinpoint what the problem is before any work starts.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A cam sensor (or any other sensor) failure would trigger a check engine light. Unfortunately, I looked, and it seems low fuel pressure would not.

I have a Dodge van that got a tank of fuel with crap in it and it idled, ran fine, but above half throttle it ran like you would if someone stuck their finger in one nostril. The pump inlet was plugged with debris.

As noted above, checking fuel pressure is cheap and very telling.