HELP! MY DASH BATTERY LIGHT CAME ON-NO A/C, NO ELEC FAN-HELP!

onebadviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1994 RT/10. Today while cruising I noticed the battery light on my dash came on. At the same time the A/C quit cooling and the engine started to heat up. This all started together all of a sudden. I stopped, checked under the hood and the electric fan had quit running. So now the A/C compressor & the rad. electric fan are not working. I drove the car home which was about 15 miles and it ran like nothing was wrong. It would heat up at traffic lights to 200-225 or so, then cool right back off driving. I also ran the dash fan like the A/C would have been on to stay cool. (Top & windows were in) The battery is new & the volts gauge reads 14-15 volts with the engine running. Checked the battery volts and they read 13.2 at the alt. & the alt. output is 14.7 volts with the engine running. What has happened? I checked all the fuses under the dash and all are good. I also checked the two fuses that are by the main electric box where the battery cable hooks up on the drivers side, and they are good too. When you turn the key on the battery light on the dash does not come on until you start the car. I know there are some relays involved, but would it be strange that both the A/C compressor relay and the rad. electric fan relay go out together? And why would these relays make the volts light on the dash come on? I just don't know what to check next. I really don't want to take it to the dealership! Please help.
Thanks,
Warren
(onebadviper)

Our dealership here in Jackson does not get a lot of Vipers in it and I would rather not take it in if at all possible. Any help you could give me would me highly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Warren Wright, Jr.

601-946-1800

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice email Warren. I was only trying to help.. You see, by replying to your question I was trying to accomplish 2 things.

1. Bump your question to the top
2. And asking anyone that might know something to help you..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Warren, Here is what you JUST emailed me:

Gerald:

Are you trying to be cocky with you post to the board???

If my "help" posts bother you, skip them! This is not the place for asinine posts/replies!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Warren, I really hope you get that Viper running so you can get off the board and back in your car..

Regards,

Magilla Gorilla

wmw1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warren,you have a open-circuit(possitive +)sorce which supplys voltage to the ALT-voltage regulator,the A/C compressor clutch,and coolant fan motor.The dash lamp is displayed because on start-up,with the key-on the lamp takes a ground from the Alt-regulator circuit,until you start the engine then the lamp goes out due to the regulator in return sends battory voltage back to the bulb on the same circuit.Which is how the light stays out when the engine is running or till there is a system fault in the charging-system.As one "other" pointed out on this post,check your fuseable links(****-fuses)also coolant fan motor connector(the three wirer connector may be melted together-due to a shorted fan motor)Check the harnnes also running back to the fan relay center,and the harnness to the Alt, for a short to ground,also the Alt it self may have a internal short.Wm

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte