HELP NEEDED

D

DAMN YANKEE

Hey,

Tried to find the right way to reach the right admin in the "Illustrated Guide" section to ask that the following rewrite be placed in the "Roe Fuel Rail Fuel GUage" piece I just wrote and you guys were kind enough to post. Would omebody please get this important update into that piece please? I missed that speed link to the admin responsible for the Illustrateds.

-------------------------------------------

Update: A very thoughtful VCA member just PMed me to let me know that when he ordered his fuel gauge he was told not to use Teflon Tape under any circumstances in a fuel system.
I answered his concerns in my reply, but seeing as at VCA we really are serious about the quality and completeness of our pieces, I thought it best that we update my original article.

Teflon tape is fuel systems...is it a good thing? No...and Yes. It works like this:

1. Teflon Tape should be avoided if possible (and in the case of the Fuel Gauge, I'll explain how you can do without it in a second).

2. A number of prime providers of carbs (Holly for instance) recommend in their directions that you can use Teflon tape, if you do it the proper way. They also don't recommend it..think I'm crazy..get this

Here is an example of them not recommending it...

https://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R9827.pdf

Here is an example of them recommending it....(page 4)

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R7923-2.pdf

What is going on here is as follows:

1. Teflon tape breaks down and can clog fuel systems if it isn't used properly. One has to thread the tape on the thread "against" the thread so it stays on when crank in. One also never covers the first two (2) threads rom the end...in other words keep it away from the end of the threads. In the old days (60s, 70s, etc) we used teflon tape in standard needle jet carbs and had to be very careful. If too much tape was used...or if we mistakenly got it near the end of the threads, it would breakdown and get carried into the needle jets. Next? Clogs...pooling and fire! Not good. Aircraft forbid it for that reason. Custom boat builders cut both ways...

2. Never use Teflon of flange fittings...use only on NTP fittings.

3. Teflon tape provides no sealing whatsoever...it provides glide to the threads for much greater torque. The most common application is to get a tighter fit or to allow a gauge (for example) to be properly torqued around to the right position.

Now, on the fuel gauge project. You can finish this project without teflon tape at all. Use your 7/16 open end to capture the nut under the gauge and carefully rotate the gauge to the right, tight orientation...no tape is needed.

Hope that helps and answers and concerns.....Best...Damn Yankee

Last edited by a moderator:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All taken care of, and feel free to PM any of the following:

Lee00blacksilverGTS
kcobean
CitySnake
Y2K5SRT

Any of these fine folks would be delighted to help you out, and thanks again for the excellent guides!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohed2003