Help Viper wont start

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if it will help, but try clicking that search button just above the posts in the forum, and searching for some key words.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how old is the battery. it might say that it is charged but who knows. if hte batterty is older than 3 years i would say march down to sear, walmart, kmart, interstate or napa...get a battery & put it in....hey if it is not the battery you can always take it back....

DanElam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah mine did this when it had a weak battery (what a pain to replace). What is happening is that your security system is getting reset and electronically preventing the engine from starting. You would think that the security system was either on or off (depending on current), but it took me a while to figure out that it was more sophisticated than that. Replace the battery (I just did this to my 95 abour 2-3 weeks ago) and the problem goes away.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
'95 and earlier cars seem to be incredibly picky about the batteries. We had an owner of a '94 stop by the shop recently for a visit who then called from the side of the road 1/2 hour later when his car shut off. On the phone, he told me it would start and run for a second or two. I suggested he arm / disarm his alarm and try it. It started up and he came back by the shop. The battery had a fault of some kind (engine started a tick too slow was the only noticeable thing) and seemed to be doing the same thing DanElam mentioned, somehow tripping the alarm.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The alarm sounds due to a low battery while you crank since the system detects a drop in juice. Have you recently installed an A/C system? It sounds like my problem that I had. The automatic shutoff relay wire was grounded (broke through the case) and would shut down the car. I had it by-passed and that was the problem. Try to jump the relay by disconnecting the relay closer to the engine. Use a think wire bent to form a "U" to do the jumping. MAKE SURE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL AND P-BRAKE PULLED!!!!there are 4 possible slots to put the wire in so the possibility is 1 in 6. Put the wire in fast so it doesn't trip any fuses. One of those cominations will crank the engine over. If it runs and doesn't turn off, you have a grounded wire somewhere between there and the ignition. Let us know what happens!

Cam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check the ground cable that runs from behind serp belt tensioner to the frame. This may be loose if any recent work has been done. The battery is probably most likely. If the voltage drops too low when cranking the alarm will set.