Here comes the coupe, here comes the coupe, everybody say here comes the coupe

I Ben Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reference: June 2002, Automotive International, journqal of the SAE. page 12

"A limited-production coupe will be available for racing, but so far there are no announced plans for general consumption. But that could change, according to Helbig. "It won't be a great leap to get from a convertable to a coupe," he said."

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really surprised that no one has commented on this post, It would seem to be a significant statement for those of you who want a coupe. I know that if the new SRT were available only as a coupe I wouldn't have one on order, so I understand that many current coupe owners would be disappointed by the convertible only format.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are refering to the Competition coupe, it is not legal for the streets, and it is very old news.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps I am mis-reading this, but the comment that "there are no announced plans for general consumption, but that could change", according to Helbig. and that "It won't be a great leap to get from a convertible to a coupe." would seem to relate to a street vehicle. The comment that the it won't be a great leap, makes no sense if applied to the comp coupe (in an article from June of 2002), as they already have the comp coupe in testing. Also, they mentioned in the same sentance that there is a limited production competition coupe planned.

Of course, as I have not seen the actual publication, I suppose there is the possibility that someone has badly re-organized old comments, but it seems unlikely that someone has done that in a publication aimed at industry insiders.

Whatever.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no significance because nothing will happen for a while, and with very good reason. They need to get through the SRT/10 & Comp Coupe launch before they sit down and even start to discuss any more future products. And when this occurs it will only be discussions, since any future product from PVO will be based on PVO becoming a profitable entity.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deducing from what Steve says, if you all don't get on the bandwagon and support the SRT, we ain't a-going to see a coupe. No PVO profit, no GTS.

That leads to the obvious --- maybe quit the bitchin' and lend support through USEFUL suggestions instead of slamming, and then buy the SRT. Of course, I've always been a loyal Mopar fan, so I'm willing to "do what it takes". Which is, putting my money where it counts for a VERY NICE SRT, then waiting for the hopeful production of the VERY GREAT GTS.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank, you got that one right! Support is a 2 way street. Either you are in it for the long haul, or you can jump from bandwagon to bandwagon.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CUB FAN, NO f---ing way! In all actuality, I am a Dallas Cowboy fan (I live for football)because my cousin played for them when I was a kid, and if I had to choose a BB Team it would be the Sox, even thought I grew up 8 blocks from Wrigley.

OP
OP
I

I Ben Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I recall my schooling, the free enterprise system works like this. The producer brings an offering to the market. The consumer indicates his or her preference by buying or not buying the offering. The message to the producer is clear.

If you like the Gen III, by all means buy it. If you don't like the Gen III, then don't buy it. Anything else will send the wrong message to the producer. Buying it to keep DC in business or profitable is not part of the system. Staying in business and being profitable is DC's problem not the consumer's.

The offering is there, evaluate it and make your choice.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I-Ben, I agree with your assessment, but it still does not change the fact that the numbers are going to determine any future versions of Viper.

Todd, if you are a Viper fan you had better hope that your prediction is wrong! If that happens, Viper will be the way behind some "other" vehicles due out in 2006.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on Steve... don't tease us.. do you mean the "someday we'll make it" C6 with it's 9,000hp V23 engine with displacement-on-demand and squirrel-power? I've been hearing about that for years now
smile.gif

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike - I think Steve is intimating that the GT40 intends to dethrone the Viper, and with Neil Hannemann directing the GT40 program, Ford just might be able do it...

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boys, mark my words now, "the GT40 may be a small threat, but the real BIG threat will come from GM, and from the hands of the Viper creator."!!!!!!!!!! If all goes well, I will be reading a letter I already have at VOI, and I think you will then better understand why I am not as concerned about the Ford as I am GM?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte