hey Viper guys in NY

VIPERnXr4ti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was just reading about NYS new inspection procedure that will be implemented in most places later this year. It effects all cars 96 and newer (OBDII) will now need to pass a computer scan for inspection. Each inspection station will have a computer that is connected directly to the DMV mainframe. the test will be conducted in real time and if the computer finds ANYTHING wrong with the emmisions equipment on the car, it will automatically fail and become unregisterable....

just a heads up....

Anthony

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anthony,

I think for the most part, if you're not throwing any codes, you should be OK. This program was supposed to kick off last May... that didn't happen. Most of the folks I know are up in arms about it. Oh, and the car doesn't become "unregisterable", it just doesn't pass inspection. Besides, a computer is a computer, a little light programming and voici - no problem.

Lou

OP
OP
V

VIPERnXr4ti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
off the website...

If a vehicle does not pass the NYVIP inspection, can the DMV prevent the renewal of the vehicle registration?

Yes, but not when the NYVIP first begins. The program that uses vehicle registrations to enforce the inspection requirement currently exists only in the NYCMA, not in the Upstate Area. During the Fall of 2005, the system that prevents a registration renewal for a vehicle that does not pass an emissions inspection will include vehicles inspected under the NYVIP.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they already do that in NJ. They plug into the OBDII port and get all the info. It's no biggie.

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they already do that in NJ. They plug into the OBDII port and get all the info. It's no biggie.
That is correct and they don't put it on the treadmill anymore with 98? and newer vehicles. Just plug in and check for codes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte