Interior Design - Conception to Creation

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found this article and noticed this on SRTs facebook page...

This week, Klaus Busse, head of interior design at Chrysler Group, explains how an interior sketch becomes reality. As you might expect, it all begins with a loose sketch.

“In the first phase of design, people draw through emotions that depend on the music that’s on, or the mood they’re in that day, versus trying to solve an engineering problem. That comes later. At this early stage, there’s no pressure. Your brain connects to your hand, and your hands speak. You do the creative work without even thinking about it.”

You must be registered for see images

“The good thing is, at this very early phase, the sketches are so small that they're effortless. The design takes five minutes. Designers can produce quantity and be disrespectful to their own sketches since they’re done so quickly. If we don’t like it, we throw it away. Once we start spending five hours on a drawing, there’s more pressure, because we can’t just throw it away.” — Chrysler Group head of interior design Klaus Busse.

“We sketch for about a month or two. Everything is hand-drawn by a ballpoint pen on paper. At an early stage, people will scan it into a computer. There’s some color there, but it’s still very conceptual — there’s not a shifter or gauges. It’s all about proportion. The studies are very sculptural.” — Chrysler Group head of interior design Klaus Busse.

“We speak to the customer through the details they touch. The driver has already digested the overall shape, and is now communicating with the air conditioning vents. How do the thumb wheel and vane controls feel? The customer knows we didn't just stop with the overall design. We restlessly went after every square millimeter. It's testimony to the passion of the designers.” — Chrysler Group head of interior design Klaus Busse.

“Now, we’re going over every square inch of the interior to make sure we understand it. We don’t need a full-blown interior shot to go after the details. We just zoom in, grab certain details and sketch around those. Designing an A/C outlet can be as important as the entire overall layout of the entire IP. You have an overall melody and a 50-person orchestra, so you still have to go in and write the tune for every single instrument. Every detail needs to have the passion we’ve come to be known for.” — Chrysler Group head of interior design Klaus Busse.

“Now, it’s all in: we've selected a theme. While it still doesn’t represent the final design, you see details that will show up in the final product. We like the proportions, the feel, the details — this is something we can show to senior management.” — Chrysler Group head of interior design Klaus Busse.

“What you see here is work on the air conditioning outlet. At this point, the modeler doesn’t care about the big proportions or big lines. He’s totally focused on the execution of details as reviewed in phase two. We’ve combined two different materials: clay and stereolithography parts.” — Chrysler Group head of interior design Klaus Busse.

“We combine SLA parts and clay because our details are so intriguing that you can’t really do them in clay without spending unnecessary time. We’ll make the part, design around it and update the SLA parts when needed. To update digitally is much faster than updating in clay. That’s why we love SLA.” — Chrysler Group head of interior design Klaus Busse.

“The caterpillar has turned into a butterfly. If you were to see it in person, you would think it was the real car. Now is the first time we see shapes, colors and details together. This is the first time management will sit in the interior and get a feel for whether it looks right or not. We’ll see what looks right and what we have to work on. It’s still early in the process, but it gives you a first opportunity to ‘sit’ in the Viper.” — Chrysler Group head of interior design Klaus Busse.

“We’re happy with the models. We like the proportion, surfacing, details and orchestration. Now, it’s all about execution. In the data world, we can play with every single millimeter. We can also throw data across to the engineering community and have them do feasibility checks.” — Chrysler Group head of interior design Klaus Busse.

“The important role of our digital sculptors is to create something high-quality in data, but never leaving with the impression that a machine designed it. Always make sure that the human touch stays preserved. It’s designed by a human, and it’s used by a human. That is the fundamental skill of a digital sculptor: he will always make sure the product stays human.” — Chrysler Group head of interior design Klaus Busse.

“This is a beautiful view of a fully virtual world. Our friends in exterior design have done their development in data, and so you can now see the door, the windscreen and the hood. Data allows us to make sure the final product merges perfectly together. It now helps our team in color and materials, because we can color these models any way we want. Every part is separate in data, so we can apply ...

“Once we lock into a design, it’s positively shocking how close we stay to the original sketch all the way to production. That says a lot about our process, because we’re able to do the design-finding early and focus on execution later without challenging the theme. For it to look almost identical in production to the original sketch, and to go through very few changes or deviations while maintain...

“It’s almost like winning a championship. You go through a grueling competition, your design has been chosen, and then you must still work to make it buildable, manufacturable, high-quality and long-lasting. It’s a long-hour, little-sleep road. For it to be revealed and appreciated by our customers and fans is a very emotional moment. After all the hard work, for your baby to finally see the light...

“This is a very emotional stage in the business. You’ve been working on an interior as beautiful as the new Viper’s for two-plus years without being able to tell your family, without being able to tell the world. Finally, with the final product, the day has come when you can share with friends, family, fans and our customers: this is the new SRT Viper.” — Chrysler Group head of interior design Klaus Busse.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW !!! Loved the Designer Red and Charcole interior pic just before the clay pic !!! The Designers are doing some great work , and would definately increase sales ! :2tu:

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great thread thx! love how original thay stayed to their design sketches. though I still can't wait more to see my own baby in person :( ...

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In hindsight it's a shame they couldn't have put 1/10th the effort into the Gen 4's.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Different regime and Design Staff on the 08 when it was planned -- thank all those new interiors across the Chrysler Line to Ralph , as that was one of his special concerns. One look at the Corporate awards for interiors , show he has exceeded his goals and much like the 60s, Chrysler has the interiors competitors all envy!!

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. This thread has caused me to revisit whether I want to pay for the Sepia Laguna interior. This red/black is a home-run, and it does have Alcantara seat inserts which I really like. Grippy and good looking. There is also something special about going with the original red/black vision that the interior design team painstakingly perfected- details like the red stitching, the red accents surrounding the heater vents. I'm going to call my dealer and see if it's not too late to save the $7500 and go with the standard GTS red/black. I think it will be stryking with the Stryker Red :D

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much you wanna bet the first color pic in that thread ends up in the SRT Baracuda? It even looks like the old car interior but with a modern flare. Cool!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surprised no complaints yet that they spent so much time on the interior ;)

I think its pretty obvious why. They knocked it out the park with the interior design. I don't think anyone can argue that point and be taken seriously. It will be interesting to hear how the owners feel about the interior comfort. That's the only aspect of the interior Ive heard the mags complain about.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its pretty obvious why. They knocked it out the park with the interior design. I don't think anyone can argue that point and be taken seriously. It will be interesting to hear how the owners feel about the interior comfort. That's the only aspect of the interior Ive heard the mags complain about.

So true. Ralph said that they made a late change on the seats, and most of the mags drove cars with the old uncomfortable seats.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So true. Ralph said that they made a late change on the seats, and most of the mags drove cars with the old uncomfortable seats.

Yep. This is exactly why I think the owners will be saying something entirely different from the mags on the comfort level front.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. This thread has caused me to revisit whether I want to pay for the Sepia Laguna interior. This red/black is a home-run, and it does have Alcantara seat inserts which I really like. Grippy and good looking. There is also something special about going with the original red/black vision that the interior design team painstakingly perfected- details like the red stitching, the red accents surrounding the heater vents. I'm going to call my dealer and see if it's not too late to save the $7500 and go with the standard GTS red/black. I think it will be stryking with the Stryker Red :D
my friend,,,, the path is... RED :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4