higher octane fuel is worth the money?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ED FLANAGAN:
do you think I would notice a difference in performance if I add say 1/3 of the race fuel and the rest 92 octane,or even half and half.

Do you think its worth the extra money.Mind you this is just for racing around town not the track.

And more importantly is safe for the engine and other components.
Thanks ED
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ED,
My thoughts are NO, NO, and it should be safe.

76 racing gas types

if you can't believe the government.........

if you can't believe an oil company, who can you...............

The Viper does not have knock sensors or an ECU that will adjust the spark timing depending on the grade of gas.

I've seen many of the Viper Wheel to Wheel racers send a pickup out to get 92 from the closest station after trying higher octane and finding no benefit on the track.

&lt;92 (or &lt;91 at high elevations) = trouble and power loss with the 9.6 CR, even with the alloy heads.

If you are stock CR I doubt you will be able to record any benefit to a blend higher than 92. IMHO, A placebo that's not worth the $$ or the effort.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on June 05, 2001 at 23:19</font>

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that would be a good dyno test and can be done within one minute. I know for a fact that 87 octane makes your horsepower go to shi_...
I accidently put regular gas in my viper and had to drive it that way but didnt figure it out till I had got a full tank of gas. I went and got some octane booster right away and thought that would help or take care of the pinging. NOPE.
The next day at dyno days for the club I dynod my viper and ended up with 386 RWHP on my gen2. ALL 17 cars beat my numbers, gen 1 and gen 2. I finally got all the gas out now and its not pinging so back to the dyno I go in the next couple of weeks... If anyone is interested e-mail me and I will let you know what the results were with 93 octane. This is a very valuable dyno test. Has anyone else done something stupid like this or am I the only one?

OP
OP
P

painexpert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne,I put diesel in my Harley once by accident.Scared the hell out of me, but does no damage .It is an oily gasoline and the bike ran lousy until I put the correct type of fuel in it.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now if I remember my IC Engines class many years ago in school, an internal combustion engine will generate the maximum HP if you fire the spark just as the fuel is exploding under pressure from the up stroke of the piston. With ultra high octane gas, you have additives (used to be tetraethyl lead)that prevent or raise the explosive point (due to pressure from the upstroking piston) of the fuel. That's why the older 10.5:1 hi performance engines needed high octane fuel. In the Viper, she won't adjust the spark timing to the higher octane ratings, therefore a good quality 92 fuel should run the same as a good quality 94 type (or higher "racing" branded) fuels.

Arthur R Davis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just reading your post about the Racing fuel. I haven't checked the specs on the fuel you mentioned, but this is to anyone who uses fuels other than those recommended by the manufacturers:

1- Most fuel systems are calibrated to meter the fuel by weight,thus the "specific gravity" of the fuel must be considered. (especially with airplane fuels)
2- Most racing fuels contain lead which is detramental(?spelling is not my strong point!) to cats,
3- Too much octane can cause a loss of power, elevated emissions, and an overheated exhaust system.

To determine the correct octane is dictated by the cyclinder temperture and max pressures at varios points of the stroke.

Remeber this: the higher the octane, the slower the feul burns and the harder it is to ignite, thus the higher the pressure then the more octane requirements.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, I hear that a lot, but I've yet to see any empirical verification. I've seen plenty of results which refute that claim. Can you back up your posts with some dyno sheets or 1/4 mile mph figures?

NB: in my experience, you CAN see a performance gain with race gas in modified turbo / supercharged cars with knock sensors for obvious reasons. In a NA car, especially one without a knock sensor, I don't see that being the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi