Hit a dog on the way down to VOI

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tuesday evening we left St. Louis to join the Great Midwest Caravan. I was the 4th car back, the windows were down, the music was up, and life was good, then.. THUD-THUD-SCRAAAPE. I saw it, but it was too late. The cars in front of me rolled over the dead dog first, but the 3rd car swerved and rolled and fluffed it for me. I, like the ones before me, had no where to go. My car was the only one in the group that had been lowered so I plowed it. We felt/heard that thing all the way under and out the back of the car. My wife said it felt like all the bones were crushed under the car. I was afraid to get out and look at the damage to my front facia. Remarkably, there was none! I did look underneath to see the remains of the wooly mammoth that my chin-guard caught, but there was to paint or structural damage. Thankfully, no one else in the group suffered any damage either.

After this event on the highway, I started calling the guy in front of me the fluffer, and the rest of the trip my car was known as the cow(dog)catcher.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hit a dog on the way to work once and royally screwed up the front fascia. I also knocked out a headlight and threw the alignment out of whack. What really suprised me was that I hit a 80 lb chocolate lab in the head at 45 MPH, AND HE LIVED! His jaw was broke, he lost some teeth, but nothing else was wrong. I visited the owners the next day, and he was walking around, wagging his tail, etc. One month and $3700 later, my car was back to new again.

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, glad to hear your car is ok. I had that same sinking feeling a while back when the pickup in front of me cleared part of a semi's tire. I had nowhere to go but over it. Remarkably, no damage in that one either. Hope you had a good time at VOI.
Terry

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, no damage.... thats some serious clean livin' you got goin' there!

I hit a tiny kitten on the way to the dragstrip last summer and took out my fascia. If you zoom in on the avatarm you can see it. Dead dog, fluffed nonetheless, with no damage is amazing!

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hit a skunk on the way to the V-10 nationals. I hit one going to viperdays last year. What's up with these critters? No fear of the snake?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years back I passed over a deers remains. It had been squashed pretty well but ... Anyway, I had no fascia contact but it did touch the frame in front of the engine and got a few pieces up there. But the worst was the belly pan acted like a filet knife and skinned off a slice and jammed it between the pan and the transmission. It was an absolute ***** to clean it off as it was dried by the time I got home.

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran over a squirl, basterd shouldn't have been in the way. Didn't even see him.