Hood rubbing against front fascia, anyone know how to make adjustment?

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the viper out for a quick ride today and noticed the paint wearing where the hood meets the front fascia over the left-front tire.

See picture...

You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see the gap is wider in the front than in the rear. I am not sure what would have made the hood/fascia shift (perhaps auto-x with my new kumho's threw the hood around) but something has moved out of alignment. How do I make an adjustment to fix this? :confused: Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Sean

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I'm getting a little mad at Marietta Dodge... they had my car for about 3 weeks to fix an A/C o-ring and fuel evap leak (both under warranty).

About a month previous to that, I had the hood hinges replaced under warranty. It took three trips back to the dealership (for multiple days each time) to get them to fix the hood/fascia/headlight gap.

Well, I just got my car back from the dealership, and NOW THE GAP is back. Refer to Sean's pic above. Before I took it into the dealership, I had about a 1/4" gap on both sides (looked great). Afterwards, the gap on the driver's side is 1/2", and the gap on the passenger side is 1/8". I don't believe they removed the front fascia to repair the A/C (being the paranoid SOB that I am, I took pictures before I took the car in). The gap between the front of the hood and the top of the fascia is fine, both front to back and left/right. The only weird thing is now the hood on the driver's side looks too high up from the headlight, and the side of the hood where it meets the side of the fascia has too large a gap.

At first I thought it was the latches, but that seems fine because the front hood gap is fine. Does ANYONE know where another adjustment may lie? I'm scared to take it back to the dealership. I'd rather just fix it myself.

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed my gap on both sides of the car were different. I played a little with the front adjustments that lower and raise your hood and it worked. Both ofy gaps are at least even now...

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hood was rubbing my headlight slightly although my gap was pretty much even. Chuck Tator made an adjustment and now it no longer rubs but I think my adjustment was more in the locking hinges, where yours appears to need an adjustment elsewhere.
Just out of curiosity.....your avatar shows 3 cars on fender with kill signs on them.
What are those cars? Top one Vette? Middle Porsche?
No idea what the bottom one is

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are numerous adjustments that can be done to get the alignment of the hood, fascia and headlights right. I've listed some of them.

Headlights:
1. Front to back with the 4 screws.
2. Diagonally with the 4 screws.
3. Up and down with shims.

Fascia:
1. Up and down with the screws by the side (wheelwell).
2. Front to back with the screws on the underside.
3. Side alignment with the hood making the wheelwell look round with the diagonal crossbar in front of the headlight (behind the fascia).
4. Front to back with the pushpins on the top.

NOTE: The 2 annoying pushpins under the headlight can be easily accessed from the round access panel in the wheelwell.

Hood:
1. Alignment with the top of the fascia can be controlled to some degree by turning the bump pads appropriately.
2. I'm sure there's more here but I don't have the experience.

The bottomline is that the RT's and GTS' body parts are shimmed all over and are much harder to align. I believe the SRT has fixed this problem with it's new body on frame design.