i cant sell my gts!@#

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive had the car on the board for a while and posted on vette forum and autotraderonline.lots of interest but noone wants to pay.gus strakes was going to look but my schedule really messed me up and i think he got tired of me dillying around.a few others have called but so far no one has looked at it.i feel the car is worth every bit of 49000.yes i did hit a curb with car .only front airdam was painted.chriss barone did the work so you know its rite.new complete tuneup,clutch slave cylenders.pilots/smooth tubes and k/ns.there are a few curb rubs on the rims and a few very very minor scrapes that have to be pointed out.my ?? is am i asking to much?i feel no.only 16500 miles and runs like a missle.its a 96 gts #468//any thoughts on my problem?

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got to understand that if someone can afford your car at $49,000 they can shell out a couple grand more for a pristine showpiece with NO curb rubs and 100% original paint...not to mention maybe a few thousand miles. Prospective Viper owners are usually difficult people...I mean if you smoked in your Viper, that probably would turn off 50% of potential buyers let alone curb rubs and a repainted air dam. People hear that and they get on the defensive and think it may have problems or had extensive damage. Just my truthful opinion...

OP
OP
S

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i can understand that but there is nothing to hide .ill sweat it out i guess,but i cant seem to give it away.if someone was really interested i may be able to work with them.its funny when i was looking they were skyhigh now im selling and market is slow.im confident the first serious person to see car will buy.

John Stuttle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my 97 GTS on Ebay now, bid is at $48,500. Has 21K miles needs no paint work and one curbed wheel! I willing to let mine go for whatever it brings - I have other ambitions! Seems most guys want to get premium $$ out of their cars but the only ones that usually sell are the cars that show value to the purchaser. I hate to let mine go - but between a new house and looking to upgrade to a 00-01 I feel it's time. If you really want to sell yours you need to make it attractive to the purchasers - there are buyers but there are a lot of Vipers to choose from too.

Reaction score
Priced right, there should be a market for every Viper. Not everybody can afford to shell out the cash for a new one -- Be patient, you'll find the right buyer.

As a rule of thumb, if you want to sell it quick; price it CHEAP. If you don't mind hanging on to it for a while, maintain your asking price.

Regards,
Doug Levin

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good post Frank, There are many Vipers , even newer, that ppl can buy w/ less than 1/2 the miles, no dings or curb hits, for a few grand more. IMHO a 96 GTS in perfect condition w/ those miles should be worth around 49-50k. With that hit and that many miles, under 49k. If you want to get rid of it pretty bad, I bet a posting for 45k to 46k would move it.. That's only a few grand too. If I would sell my 98 GTS w/ 8k miles and perfect tomorrow, I would ask about 53k to 54k. (bought it for 55k)

Gerald

OP
OP
S

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for everyones thoughts. yes i want to move the car but im not sure how much of a hit i can absorbe.if anyone wants to try to figure something out. lets talk im very open minded.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your price seems ok except for the wheels the chin spoiler is nothing alot of cars get those if its fixed no one will tell the difference its just paint not some magic potion. The wheels though gotta be a couple of grand less if there all curbed. I think you can get what your asking if your car is clean but I agree with whoever told you 46 or 47 it will be gone quick.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be a downer or a ****, but Edmunds.com says your car is worth 48K if it had never been damaged. Yours is probably more like 45K.

That's not to say it won't sell... it's just that there are plenty out there, and usually people who spend that much don't do it on a whim and will spend extensive time looking for cheaper/better deal, which with this economy is more than a little possible.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about this dose of reality.Your car is worth 39.5 give or take a few dollars.That is what it is worth period.If you bought at retail or retail plus.You paid much more than the car is worth.I have a new gts coming in at cost (invoice) plus $1000.There are no circumstances under which I would pay retail for a car,boat or any other depreciating asset.I think you should be very happy to get 45.But of course anything over 40 would be good.Hope you are not upside down in your loan. Good Luck. Bruce

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before anyone jumps all over me.Let me point out the obvious.I am paying more for my 01 gts than it is worth.I am paying invoice plus $1000.The dealer is making dealer holdback plus $1000.The car of course is worth only invoice minus dealer holdback.That is the minimum amount I would expect from an immediate sale.Since there's one born every minute it would likely sell for more.However it is not for sale!Yeah if I was so smart I would drive a jalopy and remortgage the house to put more into the markets.But you gotta have some fun or you might as well be dead. Bruce

OP
OP
S

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i feel gts bruce is dead wrong at putting my cars value at 39k//give or take a few.i own car outrite and thought i got a decent deal at 52000 with 12,000 miles.im trying to sell at fair market value no more no less

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check bluebook,nada,etc.The trade in value is what your car is worth.A buyer should expect to pay this price plus a few thou.A real hard as- will look for a distressed sale and pay tradein minus.I'm not trying to p-ss you off or flame you.Its just reality.Think about it. Why would someone pay 50 for your 5 year old car when for about another 15 they could buy brand new?This is not a vehicle that is apreciating in value.It loses value every day you own it.Hopefully slower than most.My car when it shows up will be worth invoice,minus dealer holdback minus deprecaition.Yeah I am paying more than its worth and I should be investing more at this time.But,If you can't have any fun you might as well be dead. Bruce

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 45-48. Stick with your price. In the midwest, you car is going for 51-53. On the West coast, less. I ended up going to the West coast for mine. I got a deal! (96' gts w/9,400 miles for $49,200 with $10,000 in upgrades) but the seller was anxious to sell. Sure your car will go faster if you drop your price, any car will, but why. Hold onto your price.

not stock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A dealer in Baltimore was listing a 97 w/12,000 miles for the same price. No damage, on consignment and was perfect. 49,995. If you are looking to sell in the low 40's I would like to talk to you. I think I responded to your request on the Corvette forum several months back? Let me know.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be flaming either bruce but you lost your mind, first off calling this car damaged because the lower chin spoiler rubbed a curb and was repainted is insanity, second off the stock wheels look like crap even if there not curbed, so your most likely your gonna change those also if your smart. These other cars like this 97 someone mentioned when get you there to see it maybe it has rock chips and so forth and the owner said oh well I consider it normal wear and tear not damage, and 96 cars usually bring more than 97's also. Anyone with undamaged 96 gts's
in mint condition under 20k miles can easily get 46 to 52 depending on how mint it is and just ship all the ones that are 40k to my warehouse and will have a certified check waiting when they get there.Oh and bruce 1000 over invoice is about 67k give or take a few hundred, add in taxes sales and luxury and your at 72 or 73k depending on where you live. So I think that 15k difference is more like 25k and in my garage next to my new 2000 gts is a 96 gts and if I could only have one of the cars I will take the 96 with the extra 25k in the glovebox.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Jamie is a good guy and assume the seller is, too, but:

Can't anyone use punctuation, grammar and avoid run-on sentences? I know I may take heat for being a "snob," but it is hard to read this run-on stuff. And face it, you may be trying to sell to a "snob" and not doing yourself any favors if your communicate via email with prospective buyers in the same way you post here. All I can tell is that you have a "handle" that makes is sound like you speed shift (not very good for tranny) and can't be bothered to use punctuation (what does that say about care for your vehicle?).

Flame suit on.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith and Bob,

Thanks for saying the obvious!!

$39,000 for a 96 GTS..........give me a break!!! At that price, I'll take two.
You must be registered for see images

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If not in there yet, place it in the Current Classifieds or the
New Classifeds

Sorry to burst the bubble, but the Blue Book, Edmunds, etc. pricing has always been WAY off. Even in the Blue Books specialty car book. When I bought my first Viper in late 95, the blue book for a '93 was 36K.... I looked hard, and never saw one sell for less that 42, and most were in the mid 40's The number of Viper sales is low enough that they just do not have good data and a lot of the recorded data has to do with wrecked cars..... which totally mess up things

Jamie is dead on, front facia scrapes and wheel curbing is not damage. A good paint shop (which he used) can paint the lower facia so well it likely would never be know unless revealed... and the new owner will likey scrape the darn thing going into their driveway bringing it home.

As for the wheels, depending on how scraped.... it would not take more than $100 to repair, a real hard scrape could require some welding and polishing and may cost $250.... so, at absolute worst,if all four wheels were damaged, it would take $1000 to make the wheels "perfect".

16,500 mile for a '96 coupe is not out of line, if it has an extended warranty, some lucky buyer could hit gold.

To say the car is worth 39K is absolutely incorrect. If it were priced there, he would have dealers and brokers lined up at his door to "flip it" and make 3-5K easy with a few phone calls. Mid forties, it will sell, wait a little, and it may bring more.

My 0.02 cents worth.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, his price is right on, why would you say otherwise? You may find a cheaper car, BUT, the problem is "baggage". Here are some examples:

1) The car has a salvage history, rebuild, flood damage, etc.
2) The car has lots of miles, 50k plus.
3) The car has had several owners. Why? Lemon?
4) The car has had been in an accident and fixed.
5) The car hasn't been brought in for any TSB's.
6) The condition of the car is poor. Tires will run you $1,500+
7) Warranty is expired, you may have to spend $ 1,800 for one.

The list goes on. This is why you should bring a current VCA member with you when you buy a Viper. To me, it sounds like this car has none of these issues. We could get into the whole supply and demand thing but enough said. Stay with your price! Who was the guy who posted a bent frame? Bet it was a salvage and he got the greatest deal..... pay now or pay later.

OP
OP
S

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to everyone that replied thank you.i need to say a few things.yes my grammer ***** 100%
as far as value for my car i know where i should be and am considering keeping it,but im not sure.yes my name is speedshftr so a few think my car gets beat ect.its funny i wont move the car until oil is plenty warm and have changed the oil 4 times in 4 thousand miles. my punctuation may be bad but i treat my cars the way a true enthusiest would.sure ive4 speedshfted car a few times,i bought to enjoy not for garage furniture.also the guys mentioning about flame suites?are you fireman?im here to gain info and share stories not argue.the moderaters are worried about trolls but have some combustables here.

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lowest price I've seen for a curbed but straight GTS was $35k, a dealer offered 28, I offered 30 and then a Viper tech offered 35. There's no way I'm bidding against one of the guys that backs our play so I backed out. A Snake for around $50k still beats anything out there, especially at the track. A buddy just picked up a 360 and it's killing me not to be able to take him to the track and show him some tailights (I lost my GTS on the street a year ago and still haven't been able to replace it, thank God I may be getting a handle on my new business). So enjoy those rides of yours. Having an extra Viper laying around is a high class problem.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Bruce said, "Yeah if I was so smart I would drive a jalopy and remortgage the house to put more into the markets." Sounds like another sign that maybe we've yet to see the stock market's bottom?

Actually Bruce, you might've made the smarter, more prudent decision by ordering the Viper to have loads of fun with.
Enjoy it!

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought all you guys knew I was self taught after I had to quit school in the 4th grade so I could help poor old dad make the trailer payment, between that and working in the corn fields from dawn to dusk didn't leave me much time to study grammer, but I swear I know vipers and I am going to learn where to put those periods someday!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32