I got served !!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was having a great day of racing today. It was one of those gorgeous NorCal spring days, sunny and in the low 80s. I took my DLM RT/10 out to Sacramento Raceway on BFG drag radials (345/30-18 on Purner 18x13 wheels) instead of my usual ET streets/skinnies, purely on a lark. My first run was 10.7 @ 142 (blower only), and after a couple of practice runs I was hitting high 1.5x 60's and easy 10.5 passes. Mind you, this is all with lift-throttle shifting, clutch-slipping launches, and generally babying the car as I always do.

And then it happened.

As I waited in line for pass #6, the track officials approached me with some ominous paperwork in hand. "Mr Treynor?" they queried. "You're consistently running above 135 MPH. You need to get an NHRA license and have your car certified. If you run over 135 MPH again, we'll have to ask you to leave." He handed me the NHRA paperwork. I had been served.

Arrrrrrgh!!! My favorite track, and now all three of the Treynor cars are too fast to run under NHRA rules.

So the next couple runs I took it easy. One run I simply coasted after the top of 3rd, resulting in a 6.8 @ 109 1/8th mile and a 10.9 @ 107 1/4 :laugh: . The other I ran hard until the 1000' mark, yielding a 10.4 @ 117 :laugh: :laugh:

Finally it was 3pm and time for the day's racing to end. I knew this would be my last run at the track for quite some time, so I opened up the trunk and cracked the valve on the big blue fun bottle in my trunk. After a very soft launch (1.9 60') I nailed the throttle and shifted like a mad man as the gears came up much faster than usual. The timing tower told the story: 10.83 @ 147.4 :2tu: It was now time to leave before the officials tracked me down. I drove down the return lane and straight onto my trailer for the 130-mile drive home, and in less than 5 minutes we were headed out through the side entrance.

All in all, a terrific, fun day of casual racing. My DLM car ran flawlessly, putting out one mid-10s @ 140+ run after another as though they were the easiest thing in the world. Nothing broke, nothing went wrong, and even the Nitrous run was a walk in the park. I have renewed respect for DLM's work and for the traction available from the BFG drag radials.

Now I just need to figure out how to disguise my yellow car before my next visit to Sacto. Maybe a pair of black vinyl stripes across the hood...

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to go Ben.. I know what you mean about DLM systems running FLAWLESSLY.. Crap, my DODGE parts are all failing before a single ONE of my DLM parts are. Stock tensioner pullies on my serpentine are going, 02 sensors, TPI sensors, Hood hinges, brake pads, etc..! :)

Nice runs bud!

G

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ben, head up north here.. no limits on our track. next race is april 4th for test& tune followed by street drags that evening. I'll even let you stay in my doublewide :)
Eureka's not that far from you.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben -

Nice runs! what tire pressure were you running on the BFGs? And what about the fronts?

Thanks!

JD

PS - If you find my tire pressure guage, my wife has been asking me about it. How is it that women always remember these things...