I got the shaft, and I like it

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a mostly-stock GTS with the orange (cognac) interior, which I love. Except for one thing- the shift knob is too tall. It feels like a shifter in a T-bucket. The common solution is an MGW knob, but I don't like the idea of replacing ny shift knob with something heavier in black. (Gothic billet aluminum) My wife likes the shift pattern and leather cover on the standard knob.

I saw the posts by Rich Detert about his shifter shaft replacement and immediately ordered one via email. I requested the 3 inch shaft for a stock shift knob. Rich sent it out the next day, and his package/my check crossed each other in the mail.

Finally, I got enough time to install this puppy and I like it alot. The fit is perfect. It took me less than an hour to install, including the photos and my mistakes. The throw did not shorten up appreciably, as it went from 6 1/4 fore/aft to an even 6 inches. It does seem more positive as I can feel every notch along the shift pattern. The knob height is right where it should have been all along.

Here is the before:
You must be registered for see images

Here is the after:
You must be registered for see images

This seems to me to be the perfect alternative to billet aluminum. This looks more subtle and closer to stock, which is how I like it. How does it drive? I don't know yet- still waiting for a dry day.

A few comments for those who want to install one:
Unscrew the console cover first. There is no easy way around it.
You will need a phillips screwdriver, a small flat screwdriver for prying up the boot tabs, 17mm and 19mm open end wrenchs.